Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #31
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Actually, when I said "everyone," I wasn't referring to the members of MR.

I was referring to everyone else; family, friends, co-workers, who don't hang around this site; and therefore don't understand how hostile and unappetizing the ebook atmosphere is for the average profit-driven writer, without the prospect of some sort of protection for their work.

But we were discussing password-based DRM, and it wasn't me who brought up (or espoused) piracy...
So the ebook authors like Konrath who have made a tidy living on their books came up with a completely unbreakable DRM scheme for their novels, did they?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #32
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
So the ebook authors like Konrath who have made a tidy living on their books came up with a completely unbreakable DRM scheme for their novels, did they?
"The ebook authors like Konrath who have made a tidy living on their books"? And are there many of those? Or are most ebook-exclusive authors earning not much more than lunch money, if that?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #33
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
"The ebook authors like Konrath who have made a tidy living on their books"? And are there many of those? Or are most ebook-exclusive authors earning not much more than lunch money, if that?
And how many authors of paper books are there who make a tidy living from their books?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #34
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll let Joe Konrath answer that. Joe?

Quote:
Only Joe Konrath and Amanda Hocking make good money self-pubbing.

First of all, anyone who spouts this nonsense is a lazy researcher, because it's a simple Google search to find dozens of authors making good money.
http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2011/0...you-dense.html

I love Joe's blog.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #35
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I stand corrected. "Dozens" certainly sounds like the vast majority of profit-driven authors to me.
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #36
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
And everyone wonders why I haven't been writing...
Here's what I was getting at. Pirated versions lack annoying DRM, annoying warnings, and all sorts of other stuff.

Have you seen this picture? Pretty much sums it up for the video world.

GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #37
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Have you seen this picture? Pretty much sums it up for the video world.
And, like so many other aspects regarding DRM, completely exaggerated and over-the-top, a parody of reality, not accurate at all. Pretty much like an anti-gun advocate depicting all guns as blowing up in the user's hand. Or a homeowner being forced to negotiate a minefield and six metal detectors, before putting his key in the front door's lock.

And, oh, yeah... isn't about ebooks anyway.

Until and unless we can discuss the pros and cons of digital security without all the histrionics, it can't be discussed.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #38
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
And everyone wonders why I haven't been writing...
The pirates! They've destroyed my dreams!

Who cares about a run of the mill scifi author, while there are hundreds of better options out there?

And some authors wonder why they can't make any money... (oh no, its not my writing that is subpar. Its the pirates, I tell you, the pirates!)

EDIT: As for DRM, I've no use for it. All my Kindle books have been duly stripped of this abusive restrictions on my reading... And yes, Mr. Jordan, I've paid for ebooks, from good authors.

Last edited by miguel1626; 06-08-2011 at 10:13 AM.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #39
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
The pirates! They've destroyed my dreams!

Who cares about a run of the mill scifi author, while there are hundreds of better options out there?

And some authors wonder why they can't make any money... (oh no, its not my writing that is subpar. Its the pirates, I tell you, the pirates!)

EDIT: As for DRM, I've no use for it. All my Kindle books have been duly stripped of this abusive restrictions on my reading... And yes, Mr. Jordan, I've paid for ebooks, from good authors.
Damn pirates, they've already cost me £60trillion in lost sales this month alone. What we need is an ebook reader that checks for the existence of DRM and has a big spike shoot out of the top to poke their eyes out if they try to read something that's not protected. They'll certainly think twice before they do it again. And if they do, well it won't matter after they've lost both eyes will it? I bet those silly liberals with their health and safety laws would squash it though. Damn liberals.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #40
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
I stand corrected. "Dozens" certainly sounds like the vast majority of profit-driven authors to me.
Did you even read the article? Doesn't sound like it.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #41
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Now be fair... 1st time offence only one spike, 2nd time two (just to make sure that the first worked as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Damn pirates, they've already cost me £60trillion in lost sales this month alone. What we need is an ebook reader that checks for the existence of DRM and has a big spike shoot out of the top to poke their eyes out if they try to read something that's not protected. They'll certainly think twice before they do it again. And if they do, well it won't matter after they've lost both eyes will it? I bet those silly liberals with their health and safety laws would squash it though. Damn liberals.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #42
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

elcreative's DRM scheme really improves upon mr ploppy's. If it were implemented, I'm sure mediocre scifi authors would make vast amounts of money, since people would no longer be able to pirate their masterpieces.

One-eyed ebook pirates, that's something I look forward to...
Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #43
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Time to move on to biometrics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
They can have my fingerprints when they pry them from my cold, dead hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
Fingerprints are passe. Prepare to have your iris scanned for every transaction.
This line of thought is precisely what I don't like about biometric security. With a password, I can tell the aggressor the password to make the beatings stop. With biometrics, it's just too easy to take the "prying" route and not even ask. I like my irises where they are, thank you very much.

Digital security measures should not place your digits in grave danger.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #44
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Digital security measures should not place your digits in grave danger.
You don't need someone's finger-- just their fingerprint. Find something they've touched showing a clear fingerprint, make a copy of it.

It is easy for anyone to devise a security system that they aren't clever enough to figure out a way to hack-- the trick is to devise a security system that nobody else is clever enough to figure out to hack. The problem is, there are some very clever people out there (some of them successful SF writers.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #45
miguel1626
Great Old One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
It is easy for anyone to devise a security system that they aren't clever enough to figure out a way to hack-- the trick is to devise a security system that nobody else is clever enough to figure out to hack. The problem is, there are some very clever people out there (some of them successful SF writers.)
It's Schneier's Law:

"Anyone, from the most clueless amateur to the best cryptographer, can create an algorithm that he himself can't break. It's not even hard. What is hard is creating an algorithm that no one else can break, even after years of analysis. And the only way to prove that is to subject the algorithm to years of analysis by the best cryptographers around."

But I'm sure Mr. Jordan has a solution involving government thugs and the death penalty for copyright infringement.

Last edited by miguel1626; 06-08-2011 at 03:15 PM.