Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
wdejager
wdejager began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Cybook
iRex DR800 to be introduced in Europe soon

According to the Dutch website eReaders.nl, the DR800 from iRex Technologies will be available for sale in Europe from January 18th. The 3G option will be disabled though, since it was very difficult to negotiate deals with the wireless network operators in the various European member states, according to iRex.

The introduction price of the 8" ereader will be €499. The DR800S does support ePub ebooks with Adobe drm. Most of the Dutch (and other European) ebookshops sell their ebooks in this format.

Frankly, I am a bit surprised by this move from iRex. Initially, they said to focus on the B2B market, with the iLiad and the DR1000S. Then, the Netherlands-based company started to shift their attention to the American consumer market, by selling the new DR800SG in the U.S. through an 'exclusive' agreement with Barnes&Noble. But unfortunately, B&N introduced their Nook ereader first. Maybe that's the reason that iRex comes back to Europe again?
wdejager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
since it was very difficult to negotiate deals with the wireless network operators in the various European member state
That don't surprise me.

It seam that the DR800 don't have note taking features right ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
wdejager
wdejager began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Cybook
The DR800S comes with a stylus, so I think that you should be able to make notes too. The press release isn't very clear on this issue.
wdejager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Given what we have seen in the way of competition at this year's CES, does anyone care?
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've loved the device from the first time I've seen it... Now, where is that hidden pot of gold under the rainbow?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdejager View Post
Frankly, I am a bit surprised by this move from iRex. Initially, they said to focus on the B2B market, with the iLiad and the DR1000S. Then, the Netherlands-based company started to shift their attention to the American consumer market, by selling the new DR800SG in the U.S. through an 'exclusive' agreement with Barnes&Noble. But unfortunately, B&N introduced their Nook ereader first. Maybe that's the reason that iRex comes back to Europe again?
The exclusive arrangement with B&N doesn't really mean anything. It's just another Epub ebookstore. The only thing that sets B&N apart is that it was the first to use the latest improvement to Adobe DE DRM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
€499 thats like $700 if my maths are you sure it is not meant to be $499.

I was holding out for this due to its form factor though I nearly bought a boox.
If it is that price then it will be a boox

Last edited by Jumpn Jack Flash; 01-13-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: grammer
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
€499 thats like $700 if my maths are you sure it is not meant to be $499.

I was holding out for this due to its form factor though I nearly bought a boox.
If it is that price then it will be a boox
The joy of euro / dollard conversion. Iliad is 550Euros, so, 500 for DR800 don't seam shoking.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Indeed. It is at least cheaper than the iLiad, although I had expected something more in line with the announced 400$ US price.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Indeed. It is at least cheaper than the iLiad, although I had expected something more in line with the announced 400$ US price.
That's cheaper than the sony 600, which is about $430 (or €299). So, I don't find the price that outrageous for European standards...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdejager View Post
The DR800S comes with a stylus, so I think that you should be able to make notes too. The press release isn't very clear on this issue.
The initial version of the DR800 firmware will not support annotation; it's scheduled to be added in an April firmware update, but, obviously, it would be unwise to make a purchasing decision based on that.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-13-2010 at 08:36 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The initial version of the DR800 firmware will not support annotation; it will probably be added later.
But this is the Irex definition of later, which is the semantic equivalent of never.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
But this is the Irex definition of later, which is the semantic equivalent of never.
You quoted my post before I edited it; it's actually scheduled for April, but, as I've said in my previous post, it's never a good idea to buy based on "promised" features.

Why the cynicism, by the way? iRex have a reasonable record when it comes to delivering firmware updates.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You quoted my post before I edited it; it's actually scheduled for April, but, as I've said in my previous post, it's never a good idea to buy based on "promised" features.

Why the cynicism, by the way? iRex have a reasonable record when it comes to delivering firmware updates.
Oh, really? When did they fix the Iliad? I must have missed it.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fix the iLiad? Sorry - not with you. Fix what?

Tags
dr800, dr800s, dr880sg, epub, ereader, irex