Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
How do YOU use column coloring?

Just trying to get new ideas. Here's what I do:

- Turn the title of a book blue, based on an 'is it read yet' yes/no column. Blue is yes, black is no.

-Turn the format column red if it has any other format than mobi.

-Turn the title green if I haven't set the 'is it read yet' value -- so, a newly-added book is always green until I do that.

So that's me...which I know is pretty sparse usage of the feature. Ergo, this thread!
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I turn the Title Purple if there is no Formats (empty book)

I turn the Author Green if I have <In Paper Library> tag
(the are lots of purples with greens )

I turn the 'Last Edited (Custom: date)' brick if I have a User Tags (Custom: ) Not all Done... (working it over my way

I turn the Date tan if books have a "Baen Free Library" tag

Colors mainly help save having the column visible.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i did not know such things were possible - is this covered in user guide or is there a "how to" (define colour rules) in another thread ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i did not know such things were possible - is this covered in user guide or is there a "how to" (define colour rules) in another thread ?
I'm not sure of a user guide entry but if you go to Preferences - Look and Feel - Column coloring tab you might be able to figure it out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
thanks, I see how to use it.
I wonder what % of calibre users know that this feature exists ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I wonder what % of calibre users know that this feature exists ?
I suspect there are no calibre users who know all features
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Cmon, Dwanthy, Starson. You guys must use the feature. Give!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I knew it existed but had no ideas on how/why to use it, so I appreciate this thread!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I turn the Title Purple if there is no Formats (empty book)
Is there a way to color the entire line instead of just one aspect?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
You could make a rule for every column that turns it purple (or whatever) based upon any value from any column you like. So in a nutshell...yes.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
You could make a rule for every column that turns it purple (or whatever) based upon any value from any column you like. So in a nutshell...yes.
Ha. Fun.
Thank you.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool How do YOU use column coloring?

my column coloring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.PNG
Views:	908
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	78898  
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
You can color text any way you want, but not the background for the text.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict

Its dangerous to give me new "toys". I get a little OCDish.

So now, my titles have 1 of 5 colors.
  • Red = I have the ebook but it is neither on my Kindle nor has it been read.
  • Dark Red = I just have a place holder for future ebooks (Like books 4 -14 of The Dresden Files series)
  • Cyan = Placeholders of individual story titles that are a part of an anthology that is on my Kindle (like David Weber's World of Honor, or Jim Butcher's Side Jobs), but has not been read as yet.
  • Black = Normal unread ebooks that are on my Kindle
  • Green = All books that have been read, regardless of placeholder or Kindle status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
You can color text any way you want, but not the background for the text.
Shucks! Thank you Starson.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool How do YOU use column coloring?

Quote:
Its dangerous to give me new "toys". I get a little OCDish.

So now, my titles have 1 of 5 colors.
  • Red = I have the ebook but it is neither on my Kindle nor has it been read.
  • Dark Red = I just have a place holder for future ebooks (Like books 4 -14 of The Dresden Files series)
  • Cyan = Placeholders of individual story titles that are a part of an anthology that is on my Kindle (like David Weber's World of Honor, or Jim Butcher's Side Jobs), but has not been read as yet.
  • Black = Normal unread ebooks that are on my Kindle
  • Green = All books that have been read, regardless of placeholder or Kindle status

Shucks! Thank you Starson.
good plan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote