Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Hi! Is there any thread dealing ONLY with touchscreen capabilities of readers?

Hi!
Is there any thread dealing ONLY/MAINLY with touchscreen capabilities of eReaders eBook-reading-devices?

- otherwise I'd like to commence a thread that bundles all and any information concerning this capability...

Everybody is WELCOME to either say NO-THERE'S NO NEED FOR THIS or CONTRIBUTE something worthwhile!

(I am eagerly awaiting this quality without having to pay a fortune for it...)

Last edited by Clemenseken; 01-16-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Hi!
Is there any thread dealing ONLY/MAINLY with touchscreen capabilities of eReaders?

- otherwise I'd like to commence a thread that bundles all and any information concerning this capability...

Everybody is WELCOME to either say NO-THERE'S NO NEED FOR THIS or CONTRIBUTE something worthwhile!

(I am eagerly awaiting this quality without having to pay a fortune for it...)
I presume you are talking about eBook Readers and not the Palm product. Here is the status of currently available touch screen.

1. PDA's have touch screens and readers that run on them will work.
2. Tablets have touch screens and readers that run on them will work.
3. The eBookwise 1150 has a touch screen.
4. The iLiad has a touch screen
5. Hanlin has two models with auxiliary touch screens but they may no longer be available for individual purchase as people can't seem to get either one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I presume you are talking about eBook Readers and not the Palm product.
Dale
Hi Dale,

yes, you're right of course: I meant eReaders eBook-reading-devices with eink-technology...
but thankyou nevertheless for this useful overview!

What I actually look for are more or less Iliad qualities in a 800x600 eReader eBook-reading-device.

I have read about Hanlin models (e.g.) due end last year that were supposed to have them - any news about these?

Last edited by Clemenseken; 01-16-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
hedro
Gill & Macmillan
hedro began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd Edition/CyBook Gen3/iPhone
The Hanlin V9 model is deylayed until the larger screen size is available you can see what Jinke told me in post 12 of this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16318
hedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iLiad is your only choice if you want an eInk reader with a touch screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Hi Dale,

yes, you're right of course: I meant eReaders with eink-technology...

What I actually look for are more or less Iliad qualities in a 800x600 eReader.

I have read about Hanlin models (e.g.) due end last year that were supposed to have them - any news about these?
One individual was able to get a price on a V2 directly from Jinke. This is good news as it is an interesting alternative to the other 800x600 eBook Readers in the market place. The V9's are in limbo due to availability of the larger screen but you didn't want a larger screen anyway so a V2 might be perfect for you. The V8 has an older OS and not nearly as desirable.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is an open question whether touch screens are desirable on an e-book reader (we know they are not necessary, since most E-Ink devices don't have one).

One advantage of touch screens is that they provide greater compatibility with existing software, e.g. from Linux (X11) or PDAs. One obvious example is web browsers. The Kindle has a web browser, but it isn't full functioned. It has a scroll bar and a keyboard, which can almost make up for the lack of a touch screen with the right software. Another example is FBReader - which currently requires a pointing device (mouse or touch screen). However, I think it likely that the upcoming Java (e.g. Android) version, FBReaderJ, will remove this requirement.

Much of this is moot, though, because most e-book devices are not open to 3rd party software anyway. So the real question is what particular capability do you require and has the vendor provided it? The fact that a touch screen would allow this capability in theory does not necessarily help in practice.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:08 AM   #8
Clemenseken
eWriter

What I hope to get from a touch screen

Apart from (hopefully) easier navigation/compatibility what it boils down to for me is:

Taking notes (even simple drawings?) like
A) text corrections/annotations
B) writing "independant" text (but a dummy "book" might suffice)

I want to use DRM-free formats, so the kindle won't do for me.
I might use a keyboard though, you're right; but the looks of a device are important for me, too, and I didn't see a "cute" keyboard solution so far...
Old 01-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
From your requirements, it sounds as though a Tablet PC may well be the best solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi Dale,

yes, you're right of course: I meant eReaders with eink-technology...

What I actually look for are more or less Iliad qualities in a 800x600 eReader.

There are NO eink based eReaders.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
Clemenseken
eWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are NO eink based eReaders.
Thanks for this cryptic remark - now please eyplain:

May I humbly ask where I formulated / thought wrongly?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 AM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks for this cryptic remark - now please eyplain:

May I humbly ask where I formulated / thought wrongly?
"eReader" is a proprietary format...or a device, or software, or something else I could only care less about by removing parts of my brain with an icecream scoop (Mmmm, icecream).....Anyhoo, the upshot is that what you call an "eReader" is what is actually "officially" (well, okay, there's no "Office of Ebook Terminology", but you get my drift) called an "ebook reader device".

Of course, "eReader" is the most logical name for such a device, in my not-at-all humble opinion and as evinced by the commonality of its use by those newer to the ebook world, but, well, someone (Palm?) bogarted that name for their device/software/format/whatever and so we're forced to use some other clumsy designation.

Ahh, here's the reference to eReader in the Mobileread Wiki:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ereader

Note, I skimmed it - I still don't really know what it is (and still don't care) other than that Palm (Yay, I was...maybe...right) appears to have been the dirty rotten bogarter.

Hmm, maybe folk with the "eReader bugbear" who wish to "help" people by correcting their misuse could just keep the above link handy and paste it into their "corrections". Perhaps this would actually help, would ensure that your bugbear is allayed somewhat, and would avoid the ongoing confusion that still requires time and explication by others with more "patience".

Cheers,
Marc (who has as many bugbears as he has voices...some of them dark, angry, demon voices "KILLCRUSHDESTROY!"... in his head)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 AM   #13
Clemenseken
eWriter

Oh,

so I won't ever be allowed to use the word term "word®" in this forum because Microsoft ages ago rigged up a software called "Word"...

... what a pity!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Oh,

so I won't ever be allowed to use the word term "word®" in this forum because Microsoft ages ago rigged up a software called "Word"...

... what a pity!

Actually, the issue isn't some kind of trademark consideration, but rather that using the word "eReader" may in some circumstances lead to confusion as to what is being discussed, as it has elsewhere within the forum.

So, you can use the word "word" and folks are unlikely to confuse you for a Bill Gates Fanboy. However, if you say "I've got a problem with my eReader", well folks might just require some clarification.

Cheers,
Marc (I'm a pedestal fanboy - watch me twiiiiirrrllllll..... )
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The term eReader is used for the software and format of eBooks formatted for use on PALM type devices using the eReader software. Incorrect usage of this term has already led one person to purchase eBooks in eReader format when he wanted a different format. This is why we try to curb the incorrect usage of eReader. So please do us a favor and edit your posts to fix the incorrect usage of eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote