Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
iPad dictionaries

Does anyone know if the dozen or so dictionaries include definitions, or if they are just for spell-checking?

In either case I assume they are system resources that all iPad applications can make use of. But if they are just for spell-checking, they won't be of much use for ebook reader applications.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
If they are like the iPhone, they will just be for spellchecking-I don't think the current SDK allows other apps to access it for definitions.

I do know Stanza uses an online dictionary within their app-with definitions..but it isn't Apple's.

A system-wide dictionary with definitions would be pretty awesome, though-similar to how the Mac OS lets all Cocoa applications access the system dictionary.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
mgemmons
mgemmons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The iPad will have a built-in Oxford dictionary, but apps won't have access to it. Or at least, there isn't yet anything in the beta SDK which gives dictionary access. I suppose it could be a low-level context menu that all apps get for free, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Does anyone know if the dozen or so dictionaries include definitions, or if they are just for spell-checking?

In either case I assume they are system resources that all iPad applications can make use of. But if they are just for spell-checking, they won't be of much use for ebook reader applications.
mgemmons is offline   Reply With Quote