Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #31
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
What happens is when in Overdrive, I press the Vox Menu button, then Get Books and the link to my Ontario Library Service Download Centre is there (with "Add a Library" below it). When I tap the link, it changes to my browser. Then, when I touch "Login" I get [select library] in a dropdown box. When I touch the dropdown arrow, I get all the libraries in Ontario from A to Z and I have to scroll through and hopefully stop at mine, which starts with "O". If I manage to get to it without opening another library or overshooting too many times. I press it and I get my saved library card number and PIN so I can actually log in. The whole point of starting this thread is that on my PC when I go to Ontario Library Service Download Centre, I get a dialog box where I just start to type in my library name and it takes me right to the actual login. The Vox browser, however, gives me some dumbed-down Android screen where I have to scroll through hundreds of libraries without launching the wrong one. That is what I wanted to get around, but I can't find a way.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #32
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
What happens is when in Overdrive, I press the Vox Menu button, then Get Books and the link to my Ontario Library Service Download Centre is there (with "Add a Library" below it). When I tap the link, it changes to my browser. Then, when I touch "Login" I get [select library] in a dropdown box. When I touch the dropdown arrow, I get all the libraries in Ontario from A to Z and I have to scroll through and hopefully stop at mine, which starts with "O". If I manage to get to it without opening another library or overshooting too many times. I press it and I get my saved library card number and PIN so I can actually log in. The whole point of starting this thread is that on my PC when I go to Ontario Library Service Download Centre, I get a dialog box where I just start to type in my library name and it takes me right to the actual login. The Vox browser, however, gives me some dumbed-down Android screen where I have to scroll through hundreds of libraries without launching the wrong one. That is what I wanted to get around, but I can't find a way.
Using your web browser on the vox navigate to the overdrive login page where your libraries are all listed. Then select your library from the dropdown and once it displays, but before entering your card number, copy the url.
Open Aldiko, open Stores, select Catalogs from the menu and tap the plus sign in the upper right corner
Name your library, paste the url into the url field and next time you select that catalogue, Aldiko will open at your library's login with only your card number to input.
I don't have an Ontario library card but I tried it with my sister-in-law's BC card (they have a similar dropdown) and it appears that this would solve your problem...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I tried sending the URL to myself (about 3 lines) by Gmail, but couldn't copy it, just go to it directly. Even then, when I type in the library name, it doesn't go there, just sits there, even after I press the Go button on the virtual keyboard. Really weird.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #34
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use both Dolphin and Opera and find copying urls easier in Dolphin. What browser are you using?
I could walk you through it...
Also when you say type the library name in it just stays there, what do you mean? in overdrive? in Aldiko? what library name?

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-09-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #35
oldyellr
Evangelist

I use the Vox browser. Usually I can copy stuff to the clipboard with a long press and then a long press in the browser URL field will paste it. However, in this case, with the URL in a Gmail message, it doesn't work that way, but will go to the URL directly.
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
Cdesja5
Wizard

Can't you copy the URL line directly from the browser and then go paste it in the right place in Aldiko without sending an email? Works for me...
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #37
oldyellr
Evangelist

How could I copy a URL from Firefox on my PC and paste it in the browser on the Vox?

That's why I sent the link by Gmail so I could open the message on the Vox and attempt to copy and paste it into the Vox browser. However, I couldn't copy it with a long press the way I normally copy things on the Vox, only tap it and open it directly.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #38
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
How could I copy a URL from Firefox on my PC and paste it in the browser on the Vox?

That's why I sent the link by Gmail so I could open the message on the Vox and attempt to copy and paste it into the Vox browser. However, I couldn't copy it with a long press the way I normally copy things on the Vox, only tap it and open it directly.
use the VOX's web browser to find the url and copy it not your pc's...or if you can't do that type the info manually into the url field in Aldiko. You only have to do it the one time.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-09-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #39
unifaerie
Enthusiast
unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab 7
I am probably wayyyyyyy off track here - but here goes! So, is an ADE account required to use Aldiko? I do not require a means to access library books as not available where I live (although could access via Vancouver library).

I have the app installed but have not been able to create collections of books, the reason why I installed Alkido.
unifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #40
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
You only need an ADE account if you are reading Adobe drm'ed epubs.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #41
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifaerie View Post
I am probably wayyyyyyy off track here - but here goes! So, is an ADE account required to use Aldiko? I do not require a means to access library books as not available where I live (although could access via Vancouver library).

I have the app installed but have not been able to create collections of books, the reason why I installed Alkido.
I use Calibre on my pc to create my collections (libraries) and then load into Aldiko using the Calibre server which sorts them for you by newest, author, title or collection so that you can "browse" before selecting which books to load... However in post #15 I do explain how to split up your books in Aldiko by setting up separate libraries (read "collections") if that is what you want.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #42
unifaerie
Enthusiast
unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I use Calibre on my pc to create my collections (libraries) and then load into Aldiko using the Calibre server which sorts them for you by newest, author, title or collection so that you can "browse" before selecting which books to load...
Thanks for the help - leads to another question though - how do you direct Calibre to the Aldiko app?
unifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #43
Cdesja5
Wizard

You direct Aldiko to Calibre's server actually...Calibre server must be "on" to work.
Instructions here in post #9:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155802
Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #44
oldyellr
Evangelist

That sounds very complicated, especially since your IP address changes all the time. I just use Dropbox. Much simpler.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #45
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
That sounds very complicated, especially since your IP address changes all the time. I just use Dropbox. Much simpler.
Your ip on your local network should not (which is where your two devices are in this instance).

[edit]: Never mind, did not read linked post. That being said, there are many methods for making ip address changes transparent but they do require know-how to set up.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote