Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast
ronlizpatsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Using Vox to view CDs and DVDs

I used "Real Player" on my laptop, to copy a music CD to a Micro SD card.
If I put the card into the Vox, and go to "Music"; the CD Title is displayed but if I try to play it; I get a message that the Vox cannot work with that type of file.

If I put a DVD film (as recorded from the TV onto a Sony DVD recorder) onto the micro SD card and put that into the Vox; select "Gallery" and then either "Meridian" or "Movies"; the film plays but there is no audio.

Please advise
ronlizpatsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For the video, you need to ascertain what video and audio codecs your tablet supports, and encode your video accordingly.

For the CD, rip it to MP3 and I'm pretty sure that your tablet will then play it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For the video, you need to ascertain what video and audio codecs your tablet supports, and encode your video accordingly.

For the CD, rip it to MP3 and I'm pretty sure that your tablet will then play it.
Thanks for replying Harry.

The Vox supports audio MP3 (and others). I used that option when uisng the "Real Player". I did notice that the actual CD used .cda

With the DVD, I could not find a way (on Real Player) to transfer to to the micro SD card (or to transfer it anywhere). So I inserted the DVD into the laptops drive, then went to the CD drive, did a right click and sent it to the micro SD card. There was no option, using that method, of changing the file type.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
So do the mp3 files play on the vox? It sounds like you are already doing what you should be with the audio cd: converting the cd audio to mp3 files which should play in the music app on the vox.

Video is much more complex and depending on the dvd, may require special programs for ripping/conversion. I would start out by trying a program called handbrake to do the ripping/conversion.

Lastly, you will want to install the vlc media player from jefftheworld's app pack on your vox. It will play pretty much any type of video.

[edit]: Okay, I read your first post more closely.

Audio cd: it sounds like realplayer is not converting to mp3. Try a different program like itunes to convert.

Video: It sounds like the app on the vox is just missing the audio codec for your video. Try using vlc media player as suggested above.

Last edited by mr_nobody; 01-11-2012 at 08:20 AM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Try using vlc media player as suggested above.
Yes, VLC will play just about anything. Great app.
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

A limited thank you chaps
I've put the VLC onto the micro SD and transferred the card into the Vox. In case it was then immediatly available for use; I also put a DVD onto the card. No joy.

The Vox does not seem to see the VLC (tried a search on Astro).
Also, I could not find, on the Vox, a means of displaying what is on the external SD card. It just tells me what the total space on the card is, and how much free space there is on it.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
you have to go through the installation steps. If you use astro, go to the ext folder and find and select it to install. Then you'll be able to find it in your app list.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
you have to go through the installation steps. If you use astro, go to the ext folder and find and select it to install. Then you'll be able to find it in your app list.
Thanks Jess. VLC player is now installed on the Vox. However it did not play the DVD I had put on the micro SD card.

However, I used "Real Player" on the laptop to save the CD Music Tracks, then moved them to the SD card and thus to the Vox. This time they played (selecting "Music") on the Vox. I do not know if the VLC player was involved in this operation. I did have a further problem however. With the Vox playing music from the transferred CD; I had trouble stopping it playing. There did not seem to be any normal control to stop it. I had to go to "Rinning Services" and Force a Stop.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlizpatsimon View Post
Thanks Jess. VLC player is now installed on the Vox. However it did not play the DVD I had put on the micro SD card.

However, I used "Real Player" on the laptop to save the CD Music Tracks, then moved them to the SD card and thus to the Vox. This time they played (selecting "Music") on the Vox. I do not know if the VLC player was involved in this operation. I did have a further problem however. With the Vox playing music from the transferred CD; I had trouble stopping it playing. There did not seem to be any normal control to stop it. I had to go to "Rinning Services" and Force a Stop.
What format is the dvd in? From the sounds of it, you just copied over the video_ts folder?

And you don't "stop" music on the android player. You just hit pause and exit out of the application.
terranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Thank you"terranq".

On the voxs "Astro" file manager the DVD on the external micro SD card is showing as 9 files
Video_TS (3 of these) (with file types bup, ifo & vob)
VTS_01_0 (2 of these. (bup & ifo)
Then VTS_01_1 to VTS_01_4 (all vob)
When I go to "Gallery"; 5 files are indicated. Now none of them will play (video or audio) (trying Meridian, Movies or VLC.

Thanks for telling me that there is no stop playing control on Android. Strange!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm not positive, but I don't believe you'll be able to play Video_ts. Use Handbrake on your PC/Mac to convert it to an avi file first.

If you can play the Video_TS file, you'll probably have to navigate to and select the proper file inside that folder.
terranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's not how you play video on a tablet. As stated, you need to use a DVD ripping program to convert your DVD into a format such as MPEG4 or AVI.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Thank you "Terranq" & "HarryT"
I installed (on the laptop) "Handbrake" and converted my DVD to MP4 (took 2 hours).
Then I moved the converted DVD to the Vox. It sucessfully played using either "Meridian" or "Movies" (Audio and Video). Strangly when I tried to play it using VLC (on the Vox); nothing happened. In fact if I select, on the Vox, "VLC Player"; The words "No Media Files" is displayed on the screen. I do get another mesage which may explain its behavior "This is an early Alpha version (Not Stable). Do you know if a better version is available (for the Vox)
As you may know; the Vox, despite being basically an Android tablet; does not have access to the Android Marketplace.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, DVD ripping is very CPU intensive. It's one of the few things that you'll see the full benefit from if you get a high-end quad-core CPU desktop machine. I've digitized my entire DVD library, and when I upgraded my desktop the ripping speed went from roughly realtime to better than 10x realtime.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, DVD ripping is very CPU intensive. It's one of the few things that you'll see the full benefit from if you get a high-end quad-core CPU desktop machine. I've digitized my entire DVD library, and when I upgraded my desktop the ripping speed went from roughly realtime to better than 10x realtime.
Good for you Harry.
I do not think I have the need to convert my 300 DVDs. I just need an odd one or two on my E reader as a change of occupation whilst on a long flights.
In Europe I do a lot of camping. Watching films in the evening is easily achieved by inserting DVD Discs into my laptop.