Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
is our Scion gradually leaving the eink fold?

other reviews I've read had the new nook and kindle almost identicle or at least not any sort of notable margin of difference between the two.
You're right. I was surprised the articled raised a red flag in that area. I'm not bailing just yet. I planned to do a hands on at B&N before purchasing. If it's comparable to the current line of Sony Readers, then it's fine for me.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
yeah they were pretty bad at Engadget for a while with the fawning over Apple.

Engadgets review of the Nook STR actually wasn't too bad, they liked it, they still complain how slow eink refreshing is. but that's Engadget.
Did you see the "ThisismyNext.com" review? They dinged it because it's not a Kindle. Seriously. They used to pull that when they worked at Engadget, taking points off of any phone that wasn't an iphone.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Did you see the "ThisismyNext.com" review? They dinged it because it's not a Kindle. Seriously. They used to pull that when they worked at Engadget, taking points off of any phone that wasn't an iphone.

Ahhh all the old Engadget crew, though I must say Josh is probably my favorite Apple fanboy, he makes me giggle. but yeah I had to laugh at the Con when I saw that. "doesn't have access to the kIndle ecosystem' I don't know my devices have no problem syncing between one and another, oh well.

but he did seem to really like alot, at least for an eink device.

and he even wrote this against the kindle, which is something I've been saying since the original nook came out. Amazon should have to spend time in the Pentaly Box for their design of the Kindle 1 and 2

but Paul Miller did write this:

"What a difference a E Ink touchscreen makes. UI-wise there’s almost no point in comparing the new Nook to the original, or even the Nook Color. After seeing how easy it should be to page through books, jump to pages, change my font size, jump into another book, and preview or purchase a new title, I’m almost embarrassed for Amazon. The Kindle 3′s abstraction of the UI onto hardware buttons and endless menus seems positively last century in comparison. Even typing on the Nook is faster and easier than it is on the Kindle’s hardware keyboard."

What I look for in multiple reviews is common denominators, and so far overwhelmingly every review seems to love it's form factor, the way it feels in your hand and it's weight distribution. and also they all seem to really like the UI and how intuitive it is.

Seem's BN took a lot of care into designing not only the software but the hardware as well.

Will be stopping by my local BN this weekend and hopefully getting a hands on.

Last edited by boswd; 06-02-2011 at 02:50 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...After seeing how easy it should be to page through books, jump to pages, change my font size, jump into another book, and preview or purchase a new title, I’m almost embarrassed for Amazon. The Kindle 3′s abstraction of the UI onto hardware buttons and endless menus seems positively last century in comparison. Even typing on the Nook is faster and easier than it is on the Kindle’s hardware keyboard."
That's a mouthful! *cough* *cough*
Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #20
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Has anyone seen the nook touch screen beside the original nook? The original nook has a nice sharp screen--would be a shame to lose it.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Has anyone seen the nook touch screen beside the original nook? The original nook has a nice sharp screen--would be a shame to lose it.
yes it does, and after the v1.5 update It was on par with the Pear Ink, I'll have to bring mine tomorrow and compare.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
SCION, you've pre-ordered one, right? I want to see YOUR thoughts, if you have the time and inclination to post them.

I always think you seem to read very similarly to me, at any rate.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #23
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
That's a mouthful! *cough* *cough*
That's what she said.

I apologize.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Ahhh all the old Engadget crew, though I must say Josh is probably my favorite Apple fanboy, he makes me giggle. but yeah I had to laugh at the Con when I saw that. "doesn't have access to the kIndle ecosystem' I don't know my devices have no problem syncing between one and another, oh well.
He actually changed the review from earlier today, then. The CON used to read "Not a Kindle." Not "Doesn't have access to the Kindle ecosystem," literally "Not a Kindle." You're right... that's why it's a Nook!
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #25
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Uh Oh... The article mentions the text not being as clear and crisp as the Kindle. It also says the grey bsckground is darker on the NOOK Touch. Hmmm, I don't care for the background on the Kindle. One of the reasons I enjoy reading on the NOOKcolor so much. This may be a no go after all.
Clarification from Laptop Magazine:
Quote:
Text stands out nicely against the background on the Nook, but it isn't as crisp as on the Kindle using the smallest font settings, making tiny text harder to read. This isn't an issue once you move up to medium sizes.
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/mp3/...ch.aspx?page=1

Starting to feel good about this again. I don't do tiny text.

Last edited by SCION; 06-02-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #26
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlrsChick View Post
He actually changed the review from earlier today, then. The CON used to read "Not a Kindle." Not "Doesn't have access to the Kindle ecosystem," literally "Not a Kindle." You're right... that's why it's a Nook!
Exactly. He changed it and then "clarified" that readers should be aware that the Nook doesn't have access to the Kindle store when they read the review. Right. This is an upstart gadget blog that has a decent following SOLELY due to the fact that a few die hards followed them over from a bigger gadget blog. Anyone reading that review would know that you can't download Kindle books onto a Nook, and what he said wasn't anything but flame bait.

I was just so disappointed, because I thought he was better than that. I should have known when he waxed poetic about preferring to read books on his phone.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Exactly. He changed it and then "clarified" that readers should be aware that the Nook doesn't have access to the Kindle store when they read the review. Right. This is an upstart gadget blog that has a decent following SOLELY due to the fact that a few die hards followed them over from a bigger gadget blog. Anyone reading that review would know that you can't download Kindle books onto a Nook, and what he said wasn't anything but flame bait.

I was just so disappointed, because I thought he was better than that. I should have known when he waxed poetic about preferring to read books on his phone.
which is rather ironice because it was AOL's new strategy on Engadget to have more "flame bait" stories that led to this groups departure.

Tags
str