Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 04:14 AM   #76
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
such a shame i've been happy with my iliad as a book reader, its still going strong but the battery life is now getting short i was thinking about sending it off for a battery change but that won't happen now.

what are the favourite non irex eink book readers atm?
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #77
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66 View Post
such a shame i've been happy with my iliad as a book reader, its still going strong but the battery life is now getting short i was thinking about sending it off for a battery change but that won't happen now.

what are the favourite non irex eink book readers atm?
Try PocketBook - they seem to be going strong with a number of device choices, all with a wide range of formats supported, including FB2, Mobi and ePub (DRM).

As for iRex, their devices were top-notch. I have a DR1000S and you can't get better for reading A4-formatted PDFs (i.e. standard work documents, etc.), plus the FBReader port offers support for several favourite formats, including FB2, Mobi and ePub.

Clearly their business acumen let them down - prices were always very high (my work bought the DR1000S for me, otherwise I may not have bought it myself), and people did have support complaints (although I had no complaints, but then I had no tech problems that needed support).

I hope iRex pulls through and at least keeps the European business going. I'm not being anti-American here, but us eBook fans outside of the US need some big, successful device providers to keep our options viable. If we had to rely on Sony and Amazon we would still be forced to buy devices on eBay and use vouchers or friends to buy eBooks.

Frankly, having providers like iRex, Hanlin, BeBook, PocketBook, and so on has meant there are decent alternative to having to buy, God forbid, a Kindle. The US market is obviously the big money-maker, but having a decent spread of non-US developers also means the rest of us are not completely overlooked.

And I hope iRex survives in some form because all those iLiad and DR owners may need some support in the coming years for their devices! The future will tell...
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #78
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
rankly, having providers like iRex, Hanlin, BeBook, PocketBook, and so on has meant there are decent alternative to having to buy, God forbid, a Kindle. The US market is obviously the big money-maker, but having a decent spread of non-US developers also means the rest of us are not completely overlooked.
And bookeen

The iRex are a bit "unique", because of the wacom screen that are rarely fond elsewhere.
I was thinking of getting a 800, but i guess ePub annotation support will not come.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #79
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Anyone who hasn't bought a sony or amazon e-reader should be concerned about how long his/her product will be supported, and this goes for the nook as well.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #80
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Since they may fold up, they should free up the device so it can be modded to access wi-fi. I bought my 800SG few weeks ago. I plan to use it till it bites the dust.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #81
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66 View Post
Look around on the iRex section of Mobileread. There are some old posts showing step by step how to open the case and replace the internal battery yourself. I think there are even links to places you can buy an equivalent battery online. Most people who do this are also upgrading the battery and putting in larger capacity ones.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #82
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
If you take the US price, convert it to Euros and then add in the high VAT and other fees that Europe typically has (which are included in the price), it actually comes out pretty close. Somebody went through the math in another post, I don't remember all the details though.
That's not true. At first you have to pay taxes in the US as well. Secondly even with the bad exchange rate 1 Euro ~ 1,20 USD it's too expensive in Europe. By the way - the plural of Euro is still Euro.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #83
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Anyone who hasn't bought a sony or amazon e-reader should be concerned about how long his/her product will be supported, and this goes for the nook as well.
As far as we know, the most popular Sony ereader (PRS-505) is discontinued and unsupported long ago. Ditto for the Kindle 1. Both devices are still not three years old.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #84
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Since they may fold up, they should free up the device so it can be modded to access wi-fi. I bought my 800SG few weeks ago. I plan to use it till it bites the dust.
The company buying Irex (if there is any) would probably care about helping out. If Irex suspects to come out of this clean, they surely won't free up anything, and if they sink, I assume they wouldn't care less.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #85
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
As far as we know, the most popular Sony ereader (PRS-505) is discontinued and unsupported long ago. Ditto for the Kindle 1. Both devices are still not three years old.
They are still supported. You can still get repairs, replace batteries, and use them with full functionality. The Kindle 1 is supposed to eventually get a firmware update enabling collections. The Sony 500, even older than these two, recently received an update enabling the use of Epub and enhancing PDF support. There is no comparison to what will happen if iRex goes out of business.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #86
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The Sony 500, even older than these two, recently received an update enabling the use of Epub and enhancing PDF support.
Primarily because part of Sony's business model was in selling content, as well as devices. When they converted the majority of their content over to ePub, it made business sense to release a new firmware, even for their older devices that normally wouldn't get updates.

Any time you buy a product, especially consumer electronics, it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to become obsolete at some point. I've been saying for a while that you should make sure that the product supports the features you need at the time of purchase. It's never a good idea to rely on promises of future enhancements from any company. Plans change, market focus shifts, companies go out of business, etc. That goes for companies like Amazon/Sony just as much as it does iRex.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #87
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
According to Financieele Dagblad and german Heise Online, the insolvency administrator said that iRex has liabilities of around ~5Mio EUR.
He also said that business will continue for now and that there is keen interest in iRex - especially from foreign countries. He is looking for investors now and seems to be optimistic about it.

Well, no surprise so far...he sounds like almost all insolvency administrators in the majority of such cases....
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #88
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Well, no surprise so far...he sounds like almost all insolvency administrators in the majority of such cases....
Exactly. He's not really going to say "They're doomed... now who wants to invest".
Old 06-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #89
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Most interested parties, come from abroad, says Kemp. Both the U.S. and Asian parties sign up. "It's a madhouse. More and more parties.
a bit of google translate there.

but if its true there are so many interested parties it makes me wonder why Irex wasn't reaching out sooner to form a partnership to keep them afloat.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #90
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
If I interpreted the translation correctly, there may have been an interested party last year but it fell through. It's usu cheaper to purchase during bankruptcy so the prospective suitor may have realized it wasnt an opportune moment yet. Why take on 5m euro debt if you can have the company for almost nothing.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter 11, financial problems, iliad, irex technologies