Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: When will the Kindle DX ship?
June 13 26.00%
Early July 15 30.00%
Late July 7 14.00%
Early August 7 14.00%
Late August 3 6.00%
September 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
When will the Kindle DX ship?

Amazon says that the Kindle DX will ship in the summer...
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming it will ship sometime in June since Amazon doesn't want to announce new products too far in advance.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I think late July. Even early August is possible to get it in before fall semester starts, but I think anything more than 2 months advance notice is unlikely.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Urgghhh!!! I agree with sirbruce.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
I'm thinking June because the shipdate for the 2-year warranty is first week June.
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Percy
Trajan
Percy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Observant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
I'm thinking June because the shipdate for the 2-year warranty is first week June.
Great observation and reasonable conclusion!
Percy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the fact that a very limited pilot release is scheduled for this summer, I think personally that a mass release towards the end of the year - perhaps November time - is the most likely. It's entirely dependent upon PVI's ability to start mass-producing 9.7" screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
drzeller
drzeller has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PC, Windows Mobile Phones
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the fact that a very limited pilot release is scheduled for this summer, I think personally that a mass release towards the end of the year - perhaps November time - is the most likely. It's entirely dependent upon PVI's ability to start mass-producing 9.7" screens.
Amazon indicated summer, which Nov would be too late for. I also suspect that the units in the trial will be production units, or else the part of the test (durability, etc) will be less valid, and any problems that arise with HW might not be attributed to "beta" units and get out their being as a problem with the final units. Based on that, I'd stick with a date prior to the coming school year.

D.
drzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think it depends whether they decide to take the chance of using glass screens - which a number of other manufacturers (eg Hanlin, Astak) have decided not to - or wait for the "next generation" flexible screens. Or perhaps they'll start off by shipping machines with glass screens, and then switch to the much tougher flexible screens when they become available. All the indications are, though, that it's going to be the end of the year before mass production of flexible screens commences and, with it being a completely "new technology", it could slip even further.

I think it's pretty certain that the pilot machines will have to use the glass screen, because the flexible one does not current exist.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I just hope I get mine by the week of 7/20 (I ordered it on 5/12). I start vacation on 7/25, and I'd like to have it all set up and the K2 ready for my wife. Reading is a big part of what we do on vacation. This will be the first year I (hopefully we) do it electronically.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #11
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I would say late summer. People will spend money in their holidays, so I guess Amazon would avoid making customers chossing between holidays or buying an expensive gadget.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Quote:
Great observation and reasonable conclusion!
Lol. I share that optimism.

Don't kill me if I'm wrong (kill Percy) but I'm pretty sure you guys will get it by the end of June.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
Percy
Trajan
Percy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Worrisome and Eye Strain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it depends whether they decide to take the chance of using glass screens - which a number of other manufacturers (eg Hanlin, Astak) have decided not to - or wait for the "next generation" flexible screens. Or perhaps they'll start off by shipping machines with glass screens, and then switch to the much tougher flexible screens when they become available. All the indications are, though, that it's going to be the end of the year before mass production of flexible screens commences and, with it being a completely "new technology", it could slip even further.

I think it's pretty certain that the pilot machines will have to use the glass screen, because the flexible one does not current exist.
Are there others with the tech know-how needed to react to this from HarryT? And what about glass screens? Doing that doesn't sound good.

By the way, spent my first day reading for hours on the small-screen version at the beach last weekend. Loaned to me by a friend. (I am SO desparate for this thing.) Might have been just the sun/sea glare, I suppose, but my eyes were pretty tired after staring at the screen reading a novel all day. Comments?
Percy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Guess I'm going to just have to suck it up and get the 2-year warranty on it. Ouch. But the potential ouch is bigger.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
BREAKING:

This item will be released on June 10, 2009.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote