Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-22-2022, 12:49 PM   #496
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I've been trying to find a digital edition of this book (Daybreak: 2250 AD by Andre Norton:

https://smile.amazon.com/Daybreak-D-...dp/B002Z541W6/

I have the above edition (borrowed it from a friend who moved to St Croix several years ago), but am afraid to read it (or attempt to scan it) as it would probably crack the spine.

I read it as a teenager but would like to read it again.

It's available for 'borrowing' on archive.org (read in browser) but not sure I can handle reading it that way.
I want to say this was available either as Star Man's Son or as part of one of those Baen collections. But my memories may be mistaken.

Yes, here you go: Darkness and Dawn. It's a collection of Star Man's Son (Daybreak: 2250 AD) and No Night Without Stars.,

Quote:
Centuries after the civilized world destroyed itself in a dimly-remembered final war, a few rebels courageously searched through the shattered cities/ trying to regain old knowledge.

One was Fors-driven from his clan for the crime of being a mutant. Though his people had long searched the remnants of the old world to regain the knowledge and skills of their ancestors, the land to the north was forbidden. Having nothing to lose, Pars and his feline companion set out to the north, little realizing what a staggering discovery they would make.

Elsewhere/ Sander also searched-for the Before People who were said to have survived the great devastation. Then he encountered Fanyl, engaged in her own quest for the knowledge of the Before People. And soon they would find themselves threatened by an ancient evil which destroyed not just lives, but minds as well....

Publisher's Note: Darkness and Dawn has been previously published in parts as Star Man's Son and No Night Without Stars. This is their first combined publication.
Baen may be getting too cute with the titles of these collections. It might be costing them sales.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-22-2022 at 12:59 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:38 PM   #497
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I want to say this was available either as Star Man's Son or as part of one of those Baen collections. But my memories may be mistaken.

Yes, here you go: Darkness and Dawn. It's a collection of Star Man's Son (Daybreak: 2250 AD) and No Night Without Stars.,

Baen may be getting too cute with the titles of these collections. It might be costing them sales.
Thanks! Wow, never would have found that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2022, 01:42 PM   #498
nelik
nelik began at the beginning.

Device: none
i also didnt know about it. really interesting
nelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:50 PM   #499
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
I've been trying to find a digital edition of this book (Daybreak: 2250 AD by Andre Norton:

https://smile.amazon.com/Daybreak-D-...dp/B002Z541W6/

I have the above edition (borrowed it from a friend who moved to St Croix several years ago), but am afraid to read it (or attempt to scan it) as it would probably crack the spine.

I read it as a teenager but would like to read it again.

It's available for 'borrowing' on archive.org (read in browser) but not sure I can handle reading it that way.
It's been an ebook for a while as part of:

https://www.baen.com/darkness-and-dawn.html

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:56 PM   #500
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
I've been trying to find a digital edition of this

. . .
Baen Omnibus

Darkness and Dawn =
Daybreak: 2250 (apa Starmans Son) + Night Without Stars

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Darkness-...dp/B00APACTF4/

https://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Dawn.../dp/B00APACTF4
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2022, 05:14 PM   #501
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Here's the same book in US $.

https://www.baen.com/darkness-and-dawn.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:27 AM   #502
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did nobody read post #496? I know it's buried all the way up there, a whole post or two above yours...
Old 11-24-2022, 04:31 AM   #503
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Baen's put out many of these Andre Norton collections. You just have to dig a bit to see what's in some of them. Once you know what's in Darkness and Dawn, the title is clever. Before you know, it just makes it hard to find your book.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:19 AM   #504
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't remember 'em all. There were a couple of Dean Koontz and John Saul and a couple that were not available. But here's those I tucked away (note, the current covers may look like garbage, but check the originals):

Steve Vance - The Abyss

S.K. Epperson - The Neighborhood

Douglas D. Hawk - Moonslasher

David Shobin - The Unborn

William Hill - Dawn of the Vampire

Mort Castle - Cursed Be the Child

Douglas D. Hawk - The Devouring (ebook retitled as On Wings of Leather)
Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:41 AM   #505
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Here's the number one rule regarding the process of avid reading: The book you want the most is harder to find than a needle in a haystack. I spent years locating The 87th Precinct series, and just this fall, I noticed that most titles are on Kindle Unlimited. My library contains around 10 paperback novels in this series. I do not know of any Overdrive affiliated libraries with over a dozen novels in Ed McBain's series. Obviously, if there are, someone will post that information. As with any search, you find other authors while you're digging around. Back in the 60's and 70's, I became interested in the novels/stories of R.A. Lafferty and Thomas Disch. It's 2023, and Kobo US seems to have almost no major Disch novels. However, Amazon offers Camp Concentration, 334, On Wings of Song, and The Genocides, all at reasonable prices. People seem to have a love/hate relationship with Amazon. Anyway, my current search involves locating ebooks from Ross Thomas. He wrote the Mac McCorkle and Arthur Case Wu series. Hope someone digitizes the books, and offers them in ebook versions. So far, only two titles exist as ebooks.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:49 PM   #506
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
I spent years locating The 87th Precinct series, and just this fall, I noticed that most titles are on Kindle Unlimited. My library contains around 10 paperback novels in this series. I do not know of any Overdrive affiliated libraries with over a dozen novels in Ed McBain's series.
Most of the 87th Precinct books are published by Amazon imprints, so they are unlikely to be available digitally from libraries. On the upside, you can pick them up for $2-3 fairly often. I have the first 16, all picked up on various sales.

Quote:
Back in the 60's and 70's, I became interested in the novels/stories of R.A. Lafferty and Thomas Disch. It's 2023, and Kobo US seems to have almost no major Disch novels. However, Amazon offers Camp Concentration, 334, On Wings of Song, and The Genocides, all at reasonable prices.
The Disch books, you might want to write to the publisher: Chu Hartley Publishers. They aren't in Kindle Unlimited and they aren't an Amazon imprint, so it is weird that they aren't widely available.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:34 PM   #507
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett. This is a heavily illustrated book in his Discworld series, and I bought a physical copy to continue the series when I got to it.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:25 PM   #508
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett. This is a heavily illustrated book in his Discworld series, and I bought a physical copy to continue the series when I got to it.
I might have good news for you: this is actually not only an ebook (in fixed-layout format), it's currently on sale for £1 (marked down from £5) via Amazon UK or Kobo UK.
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #509
Exorcist74
Exorcist74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Talking Chopper by Peter Cave

The book I have always wanted on EBook is/was a book called
CHOPPER By Peter Cave, its only on paperback (1971).
I have tried for years to obtain a copy on E-Book ,but nothing came of it, Now im older and wiser I decided to do my own copy , I have 2 original copy's on Paperback That I had in 1971, I desided to scan the book and converted into PDF format then ran it through Calibre to convert to Mobi and epub.
So now I have it on eBook....

https://images.45worlds.com/f/bk/pet...chopper-bk.jpg

Last edited by Exorcist74; 02-05-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Exorcist74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:28 PM   #510
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
I might have good news for you: this is actually not only an ebook (in fixed-layout format), it's currently on sale for £1 (marked down from £5) via Amazon UK or Kobo UK.
I already bought and read the hardcover, and don't live in the UK anyway. Because of its large color illustrations, I recommend reading it as a hardcover and not as an ebook.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote