Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-04-2015, 05:56 AM   #1
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Losing content

Twice recently, when working on two different ebooks in Sigil (not simultaneously) I have lost large chunks of content. Running the epubcheck plugin revealed a number of orphaned images - they were in the images folder but not used in the book. Half of a chapter proved to have gone missing. Another time, the contents of two whole chapters - everything between <body> and </body> - had gone.

I have a suspicion this may have happened after performing a batch rename of html files - selecting a range and entering "chapter_01" to achieve automatic chapter numbering in the filename.

These were both books that had started life as PDF, converted to EPUB in Calibre then brought into Sigil for editing. The code was pretty clean - just the usual misinterpretations of line ends/paragraphs and intrusive page headers/numbers.

Just me, or is anything known?

Latest Sigil version, Windows 7.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The only time I witness this behavior is after a wrongly defined regex and accidentally let Sigil autocorrect the errors.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks, Toxaris. Nothing like that going on in this case.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Another time, the contents of two whole chapters - everything between <body> and </body> - had gone.
I've seen splits result in the original file having nothing between the <body> tags. But in those cases, the content was all there in the newly created file.

But that's not a bug, that's just splitting at the beginning of a file before any of the content (where it doesn't make sense to split).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Using Sigil from 0.3.4, hat some errors but nothing as you described
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Try doing a file save-as to a new file name just before invoking the batch rename. If you see the issues afterwards then please post the just saved file (privately if need be) so that we can see what is going on.

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Never seen this happen on proper (even if it is really messy ) code
Possibly (not really a bug. GIGO )

Lousy (malformed?) XHTML code. validate before split/global-S&R. Validate AGAIN after a split/global-S&R BEFORE SAVING

(java) Scripted Code in the body. Can confuse things

NOW Using Sigil 0.8.6 (W7, XP) but have used every version in the past (except .1 )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
xovo
xovo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad 2, Nexus
I've encountered the arbitrary loss of book content from time to time without being able to pin down the cause over the years. Today I finally found one cause in particular that is similar to your problem exaltedwombat:

If I have a poorly formed EPUB that gives me the "This EPUB contains errors" warning, renaming a CSS file in the Styles folder will cause content from the specific poorly formed file to be dropped. My guess is it has to do with Sigil's automatic updates to the stylesheet links in the <head> of the files when a stylesheet is renamed.

I run Sigil 0.8.6 on Windows 8.1.
xovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,
Again, if you can recreate this reliably, please post a sample document and the exact set of steps taken to cause this to happen, and I would be happy to look at fixing this.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 07-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xovo View Post
If I have a poorly formed EPUB that gives me the "This EPUB contains errors" warning, renaming a CSS file in the Styles folder will cause content from the specific poorly formed file to be dropped.
Yes, I have had this happen as well. If I get this warning (usually when opening an epub that has been Kindleunpacked via Calibre) I immediately go and fix the header of the (usually) single html file. It usually has just <html><head> instead of the

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>

When I update the header Sigil is happy and there is no loss of data.

p.s. I'm not saying this happens all the time from Kindleunpack...most of the time they are fine... I only mention it because that is the process I use to de-stinkify my books... I fully believe that some of the files I get from Amazon aren't the easiest for kindleunpack to work with.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
xovo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,
Again, if you can recreate this reliably, please post a sample document and the exact set of steps taken to cause this to happen, and I would be happy to look at fixing this.

Thanks,

KevinH
Hi KevinH,
Here's a simple way to recreate the problem in the attached css_loss.epub file:

1. Open the file in Sigil.
2. Open the css_loss.html file. It will be 2737 lines long.
3. Remove the slash at the end of the self-closing <a> tag in line 17. (Anything that will cause Sigil to note that "EPUB saved, but not all HTML files are well formed" will work. Removing a closing tag somewhere is the quickest.)
4. Open the Styles folder. Rename one of the CSS files.
5. The css_loss.html file will be truncated close to the line that causes the HTML to be malformed. For example, if you remove the closing <li> tag from line 127 of the css_loss.html file and then rename one of the CSS files, the css_loss.html file will be truncated to line 132.

I run Sigil 0.8.6 on Windows 8.1. If you have the time to check it out that's great, but no worries otherwise. I manage to avoid doing this to myself 99% of the time.
Attached Files
File Type: epub css_loss.epub (481.4 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by xovo; 07-17-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,

One further piece of information - what are your preference settings for auto-fixing the file on import or save with Tidy? Have you enabled or disabled that?

In general, it is never a good idea to run an automated update utility on a malformed file (ie. on a file an xml parser can not properly parse - and so barfs on it). The only thing I can do without allowing auto-fixing is to prevent use of any set of automated changes (renaming files, deleting files, creating toc, editing metadata, etc) if any html file is not well-formed.

This will require a very fast well-formed check that can be quickly run over all html files before allowing the command to proceed.

Not sure what else I can do. The upcoming Sigil 0.9.X series that replace Tidy with googles gumbo html5 parser which is self-reparing by the very definition of html5 parsing. I will check your test case against current master to see what impact it may have.

Thanks!

KevinH
Old 07-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
xovo

I keep the open and save clean source options turned off.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just checked, and it doesn't seem to matter if the Clean Source settings are checked/unchecked. Once I rename the css file and hit enter, the css_loss.html file's content disappears before my eyes.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,
When using Sigil master which uses google's gumbo parser (self-repairing using official browser parsing rules), text is not lost.

So I am going to hold off on fixing this because hopefully it will be a non-issue when the Sigil 0.9.X series is finally released. If not, I will make changes then.

Thanks for the bug report and the repeatable test case,

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 07-20-2015 at 11:30 AM.