Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #76
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtxj View Post
Hi mementomori this problem have resolved???
i have the same infinite boot loop problem,
can you help me?
I have had success recovering from a boot loop by manually following the recovery script on a Kobo H2O. I will have to go into my H2O again to document it properly, but will outline the process here. This process will not work if the boot loader or partition map is damaged, but it should work if the files on the system partition are damaged. You will need a computer with an SD card reader and Linux (a LiveCD/LiveUSB distribution is okay). I'm being deliberately ambiguous here since you should only follow these instructions if you have sufficient understanding of what I'm talking about. I will provide more specific instructions when I have a chance to go back into my Kobo and document everything down to the commands used for both the recovery process and verification that the steps will work (e.g. ensuring that you are referencing the correct partitions).

Remove the SD card from your H2O and insert it into your computer.

Make a full backup of the SD card, in case anything goes wrong.

Mount the partitions and figure out which devices correspond to the recovery, system, and data partitions. These will look like /dev/sdLN or /dev/mmcblkNpN. Unmount the system and data partitions, but leave the recovery partition mounted.

Look for the /etc/init.d/rcS file on the recovery partition. This will outline the steps that you need to follow in order to restore the system and data partitions to its factory state. Do NOT copy and paste the commands. You will need to adjust the device names in order to reflect the device names on your computer. These will probably be different from the device names on the H2O. The general idea is that you will reformat the system and data partitions, remount those partitions, then extract the recovery archives to those partitions.

Reinsert the SD card into your H2O, then reassemble. For good measure, perform a factory reset from the software since the recovery script performs some cleanup tasks that you may have ignored earlier.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem as I see it is that if you need a new image for an H2O, then the h2O should be fixed/replaced under warranty and not opened up and this rick of never having a working H2O. By opening it, you have just blown the warranty. So contact Kobo before opening as once you open it, you could be well and truly screwed.
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #78
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you still see the loading squares [ ] [ ] [ ] at bootup, you should be able to trigger the firmware reset using the reset button 5x times (press when the squares show up, until it shows the factory reset screen instead). No need for either image or service in that case.

My Kobo is certainly no longer waterproof after opening it; but that's not a feature I need.

As for blowing the warranty, technically that is the case as soon as you start modding it in any way. Firmware mods can brick the reader, you can hardly blame Kobo for it.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:47 AM   #79
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
thanks,but i not run KSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
If you see the led flashing white, as did mementomori, I do not have much hope that the following will work. But you could try it:
  • extract the file autoscript.sh from the attached archive and copy it to the root of a sd (I hope you have one at hand)
  • insert the sd into your reader (and power it on, if it is not already powered on)
  • watch the led

If it works the script will write a log file "autolog.log" to the sd, make the led flash red, and power off the device.

If you find the "autolog.log" on the sd, this would indicate that we can communicate with the device and hopefully find a solution (maybe trigger a factory reset).

Edit: I wrote the above under the assumption that you installed KSM, since you quoted mementomori in full. Then I saw in your other posts concerning your problem that you do not mention KSM at all. If KSM is not on your device, the above attempt would be useless and a waste of time.
I did not install the KSM,so not this problem.
thanks !!!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #80
Sylfir
Sylfir began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hello everyone !

I bricked also my Kobo H2O modifying the upgrade files !
Now i'm stuck :/

Can someone please send me an SD Image ?
Thanks in advance
Advert
Old 01-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #81
Sylfir
Sylfir began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Please someone can help me ??
Old 01-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #82
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylfir View Post
Please someone can help me ??

private message
Old 06-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #83
ivan19
ivan19 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2o
Hello i need sd image kobo h2o please help.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:33 AM   #84
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pm sent
Old 10-25-2016, 04:30 AM   #85
rochusshermit
rochusshermit began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Hello, Does anyone still have the SD-card image for the aura H2O? Cheers rochuss
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 AM   #86
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #87
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Hi, I need a sd card image for H2O. Can someone please help. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #88
frostschutz
Linux User

pmsent
Old 12-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #89
Havner
Havner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I would also smile for the SDcard image of H2O.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #90
frostschutz
Linux User

pm sent ...
Closed Thread

Tags
flash, h2o, image, sdcard, sdcard-image