Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Sam Landstrom
Zealot
Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thumbs up Ship an app on the Kindle Store?

Sorry for the newbie question: If you haven't been accepted into the beta program can you still ship an app on the Kindle Store?

I submitted my application to get the SDK a week ago, but I assume from what I've read on this forum that I'm unlikely to actually get it. Now, I see the community here pulling together some resources for those of us without an SDK (which is awesome, btw) and so I have some hope of painfully learning what I need to, but in the end I want to ship the app. Anyone done this?

Thanks,
Sam
Sam Landstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I'd say it is extremely unlikely that they'll accept anything from you if you're not in the KDK beta. KDK applications seem to take forever and most people have never actually heard back from Amazon about whether they're just waiting for more spots or whether they were declined.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Sam Landstrom
Zealot
Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I'd say it is extremely unlikely that they'll accept anything from you if you're not in the KDK beta. KDK applications seem to take forever and most people have never actually heard back from Amazon about whether they're just waiting for more spots or whether they were declined.
Thanks for the feedback, Tiersten. That's really dissapointing. The autoreply you get when you sign up says that they will get back to you really soon. It's like a cruel joke.

In contrast, the DTP system they have for indies publishing books is very good. If they could be that open and helpful for apps, they'd have a ton of cool ones.

So the beta has been closed for about a year now. Anyone heard news of a real release of the SDK?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Yesterday I sent a question about SDK and Amazon's software development policy and this morning I got the answer: "I understand that you'd like to know the status of Kindle SDK. however, due to the competitive nature of our business, our policy is not to give out information on the inner workings of our company." And also: "You are welcome, however, to review the materials we have prepared for the public. Our press materials and investor information are available online"

Of course, I'm not buying a PR disaster like this one so I cliked on the link saying something like "If I didn't solve your problem click here..." and send them this:

"Dear Sirs,

My question about Kindle SDK and software development for Kindle has nothing to do with "the inner workings" of your company. As a happy owner of Kindle 3, journalist, web developer and programmer, I would very much like to know will I be able to work on applications that could bring a new customer experience to our device.

Can you please tell me should we hope for getting official tools for Kindle applications development. "

So, we'll see which kind of anwer will come next, maybe my next question will go straight to CEO. I'll keep you posted.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
polomint
[Polo]
polomint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Talking

From what I can gather, they really hate to give information out. Which is totally opposite to the way that their customer services works.
I bought a K3 in December, received it within a few days and had been happily using it till last week when I noticed a small mark on the screen. The mark was only about 3mm wide, circular, and looked like some sharp object had hit the screen (it was a small circle with radiating lines).
I tried rubbing it off before realising it was definitely a problem with the screen. I suppose it wouldn't have really bothered me so much, but I phoned Amazon support who asked me to reset the K3 to make sure it wasn't a software problem (which I had already done), then said they would send me another. Three days later I had a brand new one,
It's a shame they can't release the SDK to the public. If they did, then the number of applications for the Kindle would explode,
polomint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
I learned on these forums that Amazon replacement policy is working very well, but I simply can't understand why SDK is more secret than NASA programs? Maybe they are working on state-of-the-art, never-see-before hardware and software that will send all today's IT industry in a musem :-) but anyway they can give us some code to play with if we want that.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Sam Landstrom
Zealot

If they could even just tell us that the SDK really will be released to the public at some point that would do a lot to motivate me (and others) to try to hack together some apps in anticipation of shipping these apps later. I mean, I guess the word "beta" suggests that there will be a release later, but that doesn't mean it will be public nor does it mean that anyone can submit their apps to the store. Without a clear message on this, I for one, don't plan to spend my time creating kindlets and I'm sure I'm not the only one. That's a loss for Amazon.