Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #91
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try it and see, rtf to html should work fine

1. just backup the folder you use for your calibre library.
2. Not yet
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #92
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre uses the contents of the author sort field to set the author in books sent to the kindle, so make sure your author sort field is what you want it to be
Thanks, Kovid, but I think I have the author sort fields right.

I have my books in Calibre sorted by author, which I presume is by the author sort field. In a typical book, I'm keeping the author name in the author field as "John Smith" but in the author sort field as "Smith, John". On the Kindle, though, the book is sequenced under "J" rather than under "S".

Just having Smith would do the trick, but the problem then is that the author on the Kindle would be listed as Smith only.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-12-2009 at 02:58 PM.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #93
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just having Smith would do the trick, but the problem then is that the author on the Kindle would be listed as Smith only.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #94
GJN
Guilty Bystander

Quote:
So both the author field and the author sort field don't get sent to the Kindle? The Kindle displays what I placed in the author field and it seems that it also uses the author field rather than the author sort field for its sequencing.

Do both fields get sent to the Kindle via the .mobi format?

Ahh! Maybe I've been wrong all along by using day "Ian Fleming" in the author field and "Fleming, Ian" in the author sort field. Maybe I should just use "Fleming, Ian" in both fields.

BTW I'm using Calibre on a Mac through its OS X shell. Perhaps that doesn't give me full control over all of Calibre's metadata.

Last edited by GJN; 03-12-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #95
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The mobi format supports only an author field, no author sort. I don't recall if calibre sets this field from author or author sort information, should be easy to check
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #96
The Wazz
The Wazz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
try it and see, rtf to html should work fine

1. just backup the folder you use for your calibre library.
2. Not yet
Calibre is still taking 13 plus minutes to generate the ePubs from the HTML that I created from the .RTF files. The PRS-700 is still chocking on the ePubs created. I am using Microsoft Word 2007 and Save As (Web Page, filtered) the unit hangs on the end of each chapter. Save As (Web Page) the unit resets after I open the ePub. What about Save As (Single File Web Page) which creates an MHTML, will calibre generate an ePub?
The Wazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #97
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

open a ticket and attach the HTML you got from word and no calibre doesn't support mhtml
Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #98
The Wazz
The Wazz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
open a ticket and attach the HTML you got from word and no calibre doesn't support mhtml
I just sent it ticket #2049
The Wazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #99
GJN
Guilty Bystander

Quote:
The mobi format supports only an author field, no author sort. I don't recall if calibre sets this field from author or author sort information, should be easy to check
Yes, that was it. If I set the author field to "Lastname, Firstname" in Calibre then when I send the book to the Kindle, it's sorted properly under "Lastname, Firstname" but is displayed on the Kindle home page as "Firstname Lastname". Perfect; that's what I wanted.

Often the best solution turns out to be the simplest. Thank you, Kovid (and William of Ockham). Now I have to go through all my books in Calibre and reverse the author names...
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #100
Spad
Spad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-505, RocketBook, Palm TX, iPod Touch 2G/32
I have a PRS-505 and a Kindle 2, neither of which I would have purchased if you had not created Calibre. I owe you a debt of gratitude, but both Sony and Amazon owe you far more. I will be writing both to suggest that they make arrangements to show their appreciation. I hope others here will join in the effort.

Thanks again, Kovid.
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.5.0, announcement, calibre, new release, news