Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Output Profile Options

Regarding the Page Setup section for conversion to ePub, I see there are still only two options for iPads: iPad & iPad3. The recent iPad & iPad Mini 4 use the 2048 x 1536 resolution of the iPad 3, but the iPad Pro models have different resolutions: 2224 x 1668 for the 10.5" and 2732 x 2048 for the 12.9". How will images look on them using the 2048 x 1536 iPad 3 setting? Will Calibre be updated to add the two larger resolution settings?
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Regarding the Page Setup section for conversion to ePub, I see there are still only two options for iPads: iPad & iPad3. The recent iPad & iPad Mini 4 use the 2048 x 1536 resolution of the iPad 3, but the iPad Pro models have different resolutions: 2224 x 1668 for the 10.5" and 2732 x 2048 for the 12.9". How will images look on them using the 2048 x 1536 iPad 3 setting? Will Calibre be updated to add the two larger resolution settings?
If you select Tablet as the output profile calibre doesn't downsize any images and leaves the images as they are. IIRC calibre never tries to enlarge images.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Thanks, but I wasn't looking to enlarge images. What I want to know is:

1. HOW does the 2048 x 1536 ePub output profile look on the 2224 x 1668 & 2732 x 2048 iPad Pro models?

2. Will new ePub output profiles of 2224 x 1668 & 2732 x 2048 be added to Calibre? This is really a question for Kovid Goyal

BTW, glad to see another military retiree here!
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
BTW, glad to see another military retiree here!
There are more than 1 (While I retired, it was not fro the Military. I only did 8 in this mans Navy )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
bfranchuk
bfranchuk began at the beginning.

Device: boox
I want a screen size option. I want a 'keep' tables option. colored Table "dragon HP 99999 ST 9999 ect" I want conversion to look like a real book. I found
New Century Schoolbook Roman font looks nice.
https://www.dafontfree.net/
bfranchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfranchuk View Post
I want a screen size option. I want a 'keep' tables option. colored Table "dragon HP 99999 ST 9999 ect" I want conversion to look like a real book. I found
New Century Schoolbook Roman font looks nice.
https://www.dafontfree.net/
Given that your normal epub is reflowable, screen size is not going to affect anything other than the amount of text on the screen for the same font size. Calibre conversions using the tablet setting do not affect image sizes. If the creator of the epub used decent coding (no, specifying an image size in pixels is not decent coding), the images will scale to the display. Few of my ebooks that do not involve food have more than 2-3 images.

As for Century Schoolbook? It's not the greatest font for eInk or LCD screens, IMNSHO.

And conversions that look like a real book? Go buy the dead tree book.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-30-2018 at 11:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:35 AM   #7
bfranchuk
bfranchuk began at the beginning.

Device: boox
Image resizing is what I need, in few cases. I like the font as I don't care for the default android system fonts. After a bit of tweeking with the reader I got stuff to look more book like. Full justfication needed to be turn on, as well as remove extra line breaks after evey paragraph.
bfranchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:28 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfranchuk View Post
Image resizing is what I need, in few cases. I like the font as I don't care for the default android system fonts. After a bit of tweeking with the reader I got stuff to look more book like. Full justfication needed to be turn on, as well as remove extra line breaks after evey paragraph.
As I said, if the image display is properly coded, it will be scaled to match the screen. This removes the need for image resizing though I have added larger versions of some images (for instance, one book where the images used for 4 maps were 240x320 pixels and scaling them to fit the screen was an unpleasant experience).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:38 AM   #9
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
I also have this same question.
Is is possible to add the output profile for the iPad Mini 4 (2048 x 1536 resolution) into Calibre?

Thanks,

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:12 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
I also have this same question.
Is is possible to add the output profile for the iPad Mini 4 (2048 x 1536 resolution) into Calibre?
this is covered by the iPad3 option which has the same resolution.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #11
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
this is covered by the iPad3 option which has the same resolution.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm already using iPad3 output so all good.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote