Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
Your PW's tint

Hey all, I'm wondering what is the tint for your paperwhite's light? Mine is bluish, whereas my friend's is yellow.

I would prefer yellow as it's less disturbing to my sensitive eyes when I read at light. Am wondering whether it's reason enough to contact customer care for a swap. I'm not from the US though, and there's no local Kindle store of any kind so it may be troublesome.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra Colour
I personally would not exchange it.

This issue has been discussed a lot. You might find this thread to be helpful in making a decision: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207766
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
glamourgenet
Nameless Being

If I really strain my eyes and turn the lighting all the way up, I can notice a blue tint... I think. I might be imposing the tint onto it myself, though, in even trying to see one. My Paperwhite's screen really is uniformly grey-to-white, depending on the lighting level.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I had sort of am amber tint but I took off the amber glasses I wear on very bright cloudy days and, bingo, the amber tint was gone. I can't say my Paperwhite has much of a tint at all but I would describe the light as colder rather than warmer. Pehaps 5500k.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Mine is more yellow/cream tinted. On it's own it looks white and I don't really notice a tint, but when put next to other PW's that are blue or pink tinted, I see it then.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
Mine seems almost perfectly white, except for the darker "pyramid" shadows at the bottom, which are pretty faint at night and completely absent in daylight. I keep my PW at about level 15, fwiw.
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207311

I had returned mine for another reason and noticed my new one had a warmer color - you can click the above link to see (last post in thread has a pic). The picture is more subtle than it actually looks in real life - but overall not a huge difference.
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
You could try for an exchange, and may get a better screen, if it bothers you. A few users on this board who don't have a local Amazon site reported that Amazon still helped them exchange their devices without any extra cost to them.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You honestly think that not liking the "tint" of the lighting is a legitimate reason for requesting an exchange? I really can't agree; that's not a fault; it's a purely subjective preference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Good point, Harry. Based on the screens I have received myself, I assumed they are blue blotches, not a uniform bluish tint like the Kobo Glo has.

Which is the case, holgalee?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Good point, Harry. Based on the screens I have received myself, I assumed they are blue blotches, not a uniform bluish tint like the Kobo Glo has.

Which is the case, holgalee?
From my experience it's an overall tint. I've had ones tinted blue, pink, and yellow. Although, I really only noticed it when I had them next to each other. I did have one PW that had a very strong pink tint though. My current one looks very white on its own, but put next to a PW with a different tint it then becomes more apparent it's yellow/cream tinted.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Well mine is bluish in complete darkness. However when under a fluorescent light it gives a yellow tint due to reflection.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
The one I kept I guess would be considered a yellow tint, but it's really a cream color. The ones I sent back were mostly pink.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You honestly think that not liking the "tint" of the lighting is a legitimate reason for requesting an exchange? I really can't agree; that's not a fault; it's a purely subjective preference.
Oh, at least 9 replacements for the very, very special people.

I think Kindle should come out with an Obsessive/Compulsive Model that will sell for $799.

Last edited by patrickt; 03-28-2013 at 08:04 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote