Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #106
bverspeiser
bverspeiser began at the beginning.

Device: pb 603
Pocketbook 603: not supported bmp

Hm, for me this plugin never worked: When selecting the cover it shows a message: "not supported bmp". I helped myself by inserting a

Code:
os.system("/usr/bin/convert - colors 8 %s %s" % (dest, dest))
after the save_cover_data_to at copy_to_pocketbook in ui.py. But this does not work anymore in the actual version (dialogs.py now) either (the plugin does not show up in the menues). I do not know the difference between the PIM-image and the ImageMagick-image but the IM-one worked with older versions.

Last edited by bverspeiser; 08-22-2012 at 05:15 AM.
bverspeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #107
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bverspeiser View Post
Hm, for me this plugin never worked: When selecting the cover it shows a message: "not supported bmp". I helped myself by inserting a

Code:
os.system("/usr/bin/convert - colors 8 %s %s" % (dest, dest))
after the save_cover_data_to at copy_to_pocketbook in ui.py. But this does not work anymore in the actual version (dialogs.py now) either (the plugin does not show up in the menues). I do not know the difference between the PIM-image and the ImageMagick-image but the IM-one worked with older versions.
Whilst I'm very sorry this has never worked on your PB603, I do wonder why you didn't bother to report it at the time. The only feedback I've had from any PocketBook user is a grand total of 1 post (#9) in March 2011, from a PB602 owner who said it worked fine. I'm not a mind-reader you know

I have no objection to you customising the plugin in whatever way you like, it's freely shared after all, but it would have been nice if you'd freely shared your solution for the benefit of others.

Nevermind, we're here now. In the absence of feedback from other PB owners, I only have my own PB360 for testing. I can confirm the current release v1.6.0 works OK on that.

To move forward we need to do 2 things:
  1. Find out the how the image requirements of a PB603 are different from a 602.
  2. Find a way of the plugin detecting that a PB603 is connected rather than a 602. This will not be totally straightforward because, as far as I can see, Calibre uses the same driver for all PocketBook 602/603/902/903

I'm now going to PM you for some more detailed chat.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #108
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jackie_w: Here's the patch promised in here to fix the autoreboot on Kindle 2/3/4 when users have both my screensavers & fonts hack installed .

I'm in a bit of a hurry so I haven't tested anything, but it's more or less what we did in the Kindle Collections plugin, so hopefully I didn't break anything .

EDIT: Killed the attachments, merged in latest release ;-)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-28-2012 at 11:28 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #109
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.6.2 released

• Added support to send 16-colour greyscale bmps for Pocketbook devices PB602/603/902/903 and newer. Devices PB360 (original) and PB301 will continue to receive 8-colour greyscale bmps.
  • Added option to randomise the order in which covers are sent to device. More likely to be useful for devices (e.g. Kindle Touch with Simple Screensaver) which do not already have some kind of on-device 'shuffle' or 'random' option.
  • Fix for correctly setting auto reboot option on Kindles with Custom Screensaver which are also using NiLuJe's Custom Fonts mod (fix courtesy of NiLuJe).

If there are any problems after upgrade, please post here.

Thanks to paola (Pocketbook 903) and Akirainblack(Kindle Touch) for beta-testing and to NiLuJe for the Kindle patch.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #110
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
1.6.2 plugin and PB 603 fw 2.1.3

Hi jackie_w,
First of all thanks for your efforts and for this calibre plugin.

I have a problem on my PB603. When I've used the test images you posted on Pocketbook forum section, your 600x800_16.bmp worked fine. Now the plugin transfers images like the attachment below, and PB says "bmp format not supported." My plugin configuration is on the other image.
I'm running Calibre 0.8.66 on Ubuntu 10.04 up-to-date, Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy Cover To Device.png
Views:	479
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	91557  
Attached Files
File Type: zip calibre_cover.bmp.zip (105.0 KB, 370 views)
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #111
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preempalver View Post
I have a problem on my PB603. When I've used the test images you posted on Pocketbook forum section, your 600x800_16.bmp worked fine. Now the plugin transfers images like the attachment below, and PB says "bmp format not supported." My plugin configuration is on the other image.
I'm running Calibre 0.8.66 on Ubuntu 10.04 up-to-date, Hope this helps.
Aah! This looks like this may be the same problem bverspeiser reported in post #106 above. The reason your attached bmp doesn't work (and presumably all bmps created by this plugin) is because it is 24BPP -- the Pocketbook requires 4BPP. When I use the plugin on my own WinXP PC, the bmps are produced as 4BPP - hence Pocketbook is OK with them. When paola beta-tested the plugin on her PB903 she also had no problems. I'm not sure whether she is also a Windows user, I suspect she is, but I need to ask her.

If so the question to be resolved is - why does the calibre routine which converts to greyscale produce 4BPP bmps on Windows but 24BPP bmps on some (all?) Linux machines, and is there something I can add to the plugin to force 4BPP for everyone?

Unfortunately, bverspeiser stopped responding to my PMs mid-investigation so I was unable to pursue the problem. I do not have access to Ubuntu (or any other Linux flavour) myself. Maybe, with your help, I can finally get to the bottom of it

The next step is for me to re-examine the convert-to-greyscale routine and ask for specific advice from the Calibre gurus. Maybe there is a better method of doing it than the one I'm currently using.

I'll continue this conversation via PM. I need to dig around a bit more. So please bear with me.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #112
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

v1.6.3 released

• Fix for problem encountered by Pocketbook users using Linux.
    Plugin should now always create greyscale bmps with the correct depth of 4BPP.

Thanks to preempalver for beta-testing with a PB603 on Ubuntu.
Thanks to Kovid for the moment of how to fix it.

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-01-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #113
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

v1.6.4 released

• Added support for non-ad-supported Kindle Paperwhite and Touch which are using NiLuJe's latest Custom Screensaver mod.
  • All Kindle models: covers which are copied with aspect ratio kept will be padded with white bars so that the screen is fully filled, i.e. previous screen no longer visible behind screensaver.

Thanks to Akirainblack for beta-testing on Kindle Touch (FW v5.1.2) and Paperwhite (FW 5.2.0) - both UK 3G models and to NiLuJe for all Kindle-related matters .
Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #114
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

v2.0.0 released

Maintenance release to ensure plugin keeps working with upcoming calibre 2.0 release.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #115
Anavim
Enthusiast
Anavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx BOOX Page, inkBOOK Onyx & Obsidian & Calypso+ (Android ;)
Is there any chance that the plugin work for readers with (rooted ?) Android?
Anavim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #116
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I'm afraid not. I think the requirement for this plugin reduced a few years ago when some of the supported e-ink devices got better access to book cover screensavers via new standard features (Sony PRS-Tx) or via new hacks (Kindle and Sony PRS-x50) so I stopped active development at that point (I haven't needed it for my own readers for 3 years). The many challenges involved with Android (USB vs MTP, KitKat SD card issue, huge variety of devices/screen-resolutions ...) doesn't appeal, either

As with the latest v2.0.0 release, I'll continue to try to make any necessary minor changes to keep it running OK for users with older eink devices who want to use the latest-and-greatest calibre, but apart from that it's time to wave it off into the sunset - unless someone else wants to adopt it and move forward, of course, in which case feel free
Old 12-03-2015, 05:23 AM   #117
scorpion2782
Enthusiast
scorpion2782 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
the displayed image are only random/shuffe/ordered list? is not possibile to lock to current read book? i can't find any description/manual..
scorpion2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #118
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion2782 View Post
is not possibile to lock to current read book? i can't find any description/manual..
This has been discussed several times in this thread. I'm afraid it isn't possible for this plugin to determine "current read". That requires programming on the device itself not at the calibre end.

However, your info details indicate you are a Kindle3 user. If this is the case, Kindle developer NiLuJe has a Kindle Screensaver hack which may have a "current read" option. That hack does all the complex work at the Kindle-end and you can use this plugin to create/transfer the cover images for the Screensaver hack to use. The relevant Kindle thread is referenced in post #1 of this thread but I'll repeat it here Font, ScreenSaver & USBNetwork Hacks for Kindle 2.x, 3.x & 4.x.

If you need help installing that hack you would need to ask your detailed questions in that thread.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-03-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #119
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Or just use the screensavers hack by itself...

In fact, the hack depends on and extracts cover images to [userstore]/linkss/cover_cache/cover_${ASIN}.png (on my KT at least), so I would venture to say this plugin will not actually transfer any useful images.

Come to think of it... some MOBI/AZW3 do not have covers, or MOBI can't really have the cover updated without a full reconversion so the hack won't ever see your calibre-updated cover metadata. That being the case, I can see why it might be nice if this plugin was able to generate the cover_cache from calibre's metadata.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #120
marinai
marinai began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4/KPW-3/Kindle3/Pocketbook-Touch Lux3/Kobo-Elipsa
Hi Jackie-w,

i've used this plug-in for years and it worked well till about 2 weeks ago, when i there seemed to have been and update to the plug in. After I installed, I started getting errors: ERROR:Unhandled exception (name of the window).
AttributeError:type object 'Image' has no attribute 'img'

i have a screenshot.

This happens with Kindle 3 (keyboard).

i've removed and re-added the plugin with same results.

Thanks.

Marina
marinai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plugin, pocketbook, sony