Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #61
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisvir View Post
Great plugin, jackie_w!
Thank you

Quote:
First of all, a feature like this would need the plugin and PRS+ to work together.
First let me say that your approach may be technically feasible by a 'proper' developer. Sadly I am not one, my tech skills are rather limited

However, there is a basic problem here in that I think some of your suggestions would require the code to be incorporated into full Calibre and by someone with the great ability of chaley, the Sony guru (not yours truly) In addition, Kovid has made it clear that he is not likely to ever add features to Calibre itself that rely on jailbreaking/hacking one's device.

If there ever was a proper collaboration between Calibre and PRS+ then I think it would be a matter for the two 'owners', not an amateur go-between.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but I am open to suggestions for new features if they are within my limits Failing that, maybe the next generation of readers will have some better on-board features. Someone said the current Kobo already does this but I've never seen one myself.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #62
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
a more basic issue is the knock-on effect this would have on non-hacked sony readers i.e. those NOT running PRS+

there would I think have to be 2 version of the plug-in, one for normal SONy's - placing the images where they are urrently located to be used a cyclic screensavers,; and a special PRS+ version as per your draft spec above.

I've no idea of the ratio of normal sony users to PRS+ users, I somehow doubt there's be sufficient enthusiasm for maintaining this as it would need ongoing co-ordination between at least 3 developers - 1. jackie for plug=in, 2. Kovid for calibre + 3. whoever for PRS+

It would be simpler to make the whole thing a PRS+ stand-alone feature: extract cover art from books on reader, use as screen saver i.e. do exactly what Kobo firmware already does. OR dare I say buy a Kobo if this is a must have feature!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #63
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
It would be simpler to make the whole thing a PRS+ stand-alone feature: extract cover art from books on reader, use as screen saver i.e. do exactly what Kobo firmware already does.
I had reason to contact kartu, the PRS+ owner, when figuring out how to support the PRS-600-with-PRS+ in the latest release of the plugin. I didn't get the impression the Kobo-like option was high on the list of current priorities. He did suggest that the existing PRS600 screensavers option would also be added to the PRSx50 version of PRS+ at some point. I tried to allow for that scenario in the current version of the plugin (v1.4), but by the looks of it, he hasn't added it yet. Still, plans can change.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #64
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
However, there is a basic problem here in that I think some of your suggestions would require the code to be incorporated into full Calibre and by someone with the great ability of chaley, the Sony guru (not yours truly) In addition, Kovid has made it clear that he is not likely to ever add features to Calibre itself that rely on jailbreaking/hacking one's device.
Thank you for the quick reply, jackie_w. I completely understand the difficulties involved in making this work. However, if it's possible to make the plugin put the covers into images/covers/ using the books' filenames, nothing more would be needed for a basic solution. And it would not have to be integrated into Calibre itself (although putting the covers into a folder under new filenames would not, imho, mean committing a Calibre feature to hacked devices: any Sony can use the folder, and it causes less clutter than a long list of covers between other images).

If there is a possibility of making this work, I would also be willing to help out with programming (though I'm a novice) or beta testing. For me, making such things work is part of the fun of owning a gadget like an e-reader. So I won't be switching my Sony for a Kobo, but thanks (cybmole) for the suggestion
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #65
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
...if it's possible to make the plugin put the covers into images/covers/ using the books' filenames, nothing more would be needed for a basic solution.
I believe I covered my reasons for not wanting to use book filenames in an earlier post (a few pages back) - basically I don't want to deal with non-ascii filenames and the various issues of filename length. I also don't really understand what extra benefits it would give. If you view the images in "thumbnail mode" there is very little room for author/title, it would be truncated, and anyway you can read this info from the thumbnail itself on many covers.

Using a different directory on the Sonys would have been less of a problem if I'd done it in the original release. I picked /database/media/images because I was pretty sure everyone would already have that directory and release v1 only had a single image so a separate directory didn't seem necessary. The issue now would be the migration. It's not insurmountable but can you explain what is the benefit? When viewing images on the Sony you only get to sort by Date or Title, not by folder. Currently, if you sort by Title they'll all be together under 'c'. If you sort by Date any batch of covers would also be sorted together.

Quote:
And it would not have to be integrated into Calibre itself...
To do the synching you originally spoke of I believe it would need to be part of the Sony-synching (and Kindle-synching etc...) which is already done within full Calibre. It wouldn't make sense to duplicate it in a plugin even if I had the necessary skills, which I don't.

Quote:
If there is a possibility of making this work, I would also be willing to help out with programming
If you want to try to move the plugin up a gear feel free to experiment - it is open-source after all - and all the code is in the zip file

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-27-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #66
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I believe I covered my reasons for not wanting to use book filenames in an earlier post (a few pages back) - basically I don't want to deal with non-ascii filenames and the various issues of filename length.
You're right, I forgot about those potential issues (did read the posts btw, just have a bad memory). My point about not having to commit Calibre to hacked devices had more to do with 'regular' users being able to use the functionality too. But it's true that the only, rather small, benefit for them would be the ability to manage the images folder a little bit easier (when using a PC that is, not the reader).

In all, I have to agree that it now looks like a lot of work for a small feature. Maybe I'll try and do some coding over the summer months, but I'm going to put the idea aside for now. Anyway, thanks for the replies, and keep up the good work
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #67
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
jackie_w, thanks. No, I don't want to know that the Sony can do it while the Kindle can't, but as they say in Mexico, ni modo. In any case, interesting to read the follow-up post, but I think you already agreed with my own answer. I'll try it tomorrow: no point in downloading a new image every time; just put all the cover images in the folder but leave only the in-use cover with the correct file extension; change that file extension as needed.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #68
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

v1.4.1 released

• Maintenance release only, issued on advice from Calibre Developers.
    • It has been necessary to accommodate planned changes to the main Calibre program, due to be phased in starting with next release.
    • Changes in v1.4.1 are minimal - so no change to features or functionality (sorry!)
  • Will work on all versions of Calibre, from v0.7.53 onwards, so can be installed immediately.

If there are any problems after upgrade, please post here.

Regards, Jackie
Old 07-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #69
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just stumbled across your nifty plugin and while my poor Kindle doesn't do all I would like it to in this regard (I also would love it to either let me select the screensaver on device or automatically select the "right" cover for the book I last read), this takes it one more step closer.

In answer to a question I didn't see anyone answer, I personally have almost 300 books on my Kindle, can certainly imagine going into the low thousands, and would love to be able to have covers of all the books on the Kindle as screensavers (as per your quick count, I often power off my Kindle MANY times a day, since I read in short bursts when I can, so I cycle through the screensavers faster). I understand your limit of 99 for avoiding accidental mistakes in adding way too many covers, but here's an idea... make that a max of 99 PER synch. Then I could add all my covers 99 at a time (no clearing).

Secondarily, let me also raise my hand in request of an automatic "add cover when adding new book" option. Of course, for that to work, I'd have to have the higher limit...

Forgot to mention: I'm abundantly willing to Beta test on my jailbroken Kindle 3, though I can't guarantee any promptness as I'm a stay-at-home mom and sometimes my schedule is very free and sometimes out of the blue it gets ridiculous!

Last edited by Vaesse; 07-23-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #70
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Hi, Vaesse, I'm glad you find it useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaesse View Post
I just stumbled across your nifty plugin and while my poor Kindle doesn't do all I would like it to in this regard (I also would love it to either let me select the screensaver on device or automatically select the "right" cover for the book I last read), this takes it one more step closer.
Yes. I'm afraid those extras need to be handled at the Kindle end, either by Amazon firmware upgrade or a talented jailbreak hacker.

Quote:
In answer to a question I didn't see anyone answer, I personally have almost 300 books on my Kindle, can certainly imagine going into the low thousands, and would love to be able to have covers of all the books on the Kindle as screensavers (as per your quick count, I often power off my Kindle MANY times a day, since I read in short bursts when I can, so I cycle through the screensavers faster). I understand your limit of 99 for avoiding accidental mistakes in adding way too many covers, but here's an idea... make that a max of 99 PER synch. Then I could add all my covers 99 at a time (no clearing).
I've put development of this plugin on hold for the time being. Partly because I'm working on another personal project but also because I'm interested to see what features this year's new ereader models might add re: screensavers. They may make this plugin redundant. But even if they don't, I may want to spend some time accommodating other changes.

I'm not really sure how great the demand for hundreds (or thousands) of covers is, as many people just want to see the covers of books they're currently reading. Another reason I kept it to 99 was because I wanted to keep older plugin versions' filenaming consistent, calibrenn.jpg, but since I added the 'delete all existing cover images' features I guess this is less important. The idea to limit each 'batch size' would be a reasonable compromise to avoid accidents.

Quote:
Secondarily, let me also raise my hand in request of an automatic "add cover when adding new book" option. Of course, for that to work, I'd have to have the higher limit...
To achieve this, I think the functionality of this plugin would need to be included in the main Calibre program. Kovid has indicated that this is unlikely for ereaders which are relying on jailbreaking or other hackery.

Quote:
Forgot to mention: I'm abundantly willing to Beta test on my jailbroken Kindle 3, though I can't guarantee any promptness as I'm a stay-at-home mom and sometimes my schedule is very free and sometimes out of the blue it gets ridiculous!
I may hold you to that if I do a new release
Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #71
Calibrefan
Enthusiast
Calibrefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
@jackie_w, I'm very happy with your current plug-in but I wondered if it would be possible to add the option to choose the title-page of the current book as the standby image for the PRS-350.

I noticed it has been asked for before but that went more towards a potential PRS+ collaboration and it didn't became clear (to me at least) if this addition was possible for your plugin.
Calibrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #72
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibrefan View Post
@jackie_w, I'm very happy with your current plug-in but I wondered if it would be possible to add the option to choose the title-page of the current book as the standby image for the PRS-350.

I noticed it has been asked for before but that went more towards a potential PRS+ collaboration and it didn't became clear (to me at least) if this addition was possible for your plugin.
I'm afraid not, if I had the know-how I would have done it by now. It requires programming at the ereader end, not the Calibre end.

However, I hear rumours that it may be available, sooner rather than later, with a future release of PRS+. So that's something to look forward to, I may be redundant soon
Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #73
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
However, I hear rumours that it may be available, sooner rather than later, with a future release of PRS+. So that's something to look forward to, I may be redundant soon
Thanks a lot for this plugin, but the rumor is now true. PRS+ now has the option (on all Sony devices) to set the standby image from the currently read book so it is time to say good bye to this plugin.

I personally installed the latest PRS+ beta on a prs-300, prs-505 and prs-950 with great success.

Again thank you for developing this plugin it served me well.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-15-2011 at 05:49 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #74
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmm - plug-in may still be relevant for sony PRS-T1 ?, at least until PRS+ is confirmed to work on the new device.

and for folk like me who just want to add some book cover images, without all the hassle & stress of having to reflash firmware & then having to master a different UI. I just re-googled the PRS+ install instructions for a PRS-650 with latest Sony firmware. & it still looks daunting. e.g. I'd apparently need to learn how to "russify"- whatever that means
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #75
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Hmm - plug-in may still be relevant for sony PRS-T1 ?, at least until PRS+ is confirmed to work on the new device.
It is also still relative to the other readers (Kindle and Pocketbook) that this plugin supports.

Quote:
I just re-googled the PRS+ install instructions for a PRS-650 with latest Sony firmware. & it still looks daunting. e.g. I'd apparently need to learn how to "russify"- whatever that means
Whatever you looked at it wasn't close to being currently correct. Here are the complete install instructions for the 650 from inside the downloaded install zip file.

Quote:
Installation:

Warning: MAKE SURE YOUR READER IS AT LEAST 75% CHARGED before starting installation!!!

1) Connect your reader to the PC
2) Double-click the setup.exe on the PC. The program will give you all necessary instructions on your PC screen.
Quick and easy.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plugin, pocketbook, sony