Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
IowaGuy
IowaGuy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Stephen King, Dark Tower Series

Just started the Dark Tower series....currently reading Gunslinger and already bought the next one The Drawing of Three....I am little worried I didnt get the entire book though as it says Gunslinger should be 333 pages and it only gives me 178...it goes all the way to chapter 5 though so I am hoping I got it all lol. I re downloaded it about 10 times.

Anyway, thats what I am reading right now !

IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Which version of "the gunslinger" are you reading?

"King revised The Gunslinger in 2003. In his introduction to the new edition, King stated that he felt that the original version was 'dry' and difficult for new readers to access. He also made changes to make the storytelling more linear as well as making the plot of the book more consistent with the series' ending. The added material was over 9000 words (35 pages) in length." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dar...The_Gunslinger
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
My paperback version has 300 pages divided in 5 chapters.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I think you'll probably be okay. I think the eBooks are all based on the TPB / Re-Release of the Dark Tower. That's the edition with all the illustrations and such.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Eh. Loved the first four books.

The last three books are why I've stopped reading King altogether.

I read the Gunslinger when it was serialized in F&SF in 1978, so it took almost 30 years to know how the story finally turned out.

Wasn't worth it. I was never so disappointed in a book in all my life.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Kate,

You did one better than me.

I stopped reading at book 3. I have the whole series...I browsed thru Wizard and the Glass and the back 3. Maybe one day I'll go back to it, but I have to be in just the right mood.

I've found much better wastelander epics since then.

Then again, I've never been that much of a King fan and am not entirely too familiar with all of his work. So I missed all the subtleties and shoutouts to his other works. For a King fan, I hear it's amazing.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I don't think it would be considered too off-topic by the OP for you to specify them, if only for the "compare-and-contrast" potential. Okay, also because I need to buy more pbooks to sit by the bed in huge piles (I'm building a fort!).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Kate,

You did one better than me.

I stopped reading at book 3. I have the whole series...I browsed thru Wizard and the Glass and the back 3. Maybe one day I'll go back to it, but I have to be in just the right mood.

Then again, I've never been that much of a King fan and am not entirely too familiar with all of his work. So I missed all the subtleties and shoutouts to his other works. For a King fan, I hear it's amazing.
I did four better than you - I read them all, although I only really enjoyed the first 4.

I think realizing he was mortal after being hit by a van made him hurry to finish, and the books really suffered.

Bradbury may be better when he writes fast, but King is definitely better when he writes slow.

Or was. Haven't read anything of his since, although I had read pretty much everything of his before that. *That's* how much the ending of that series turned me off. From one of my favorite writers to complete non-interest.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It took me 8 years to get through Wizards and Glass. Finally got the audiobook and then listened to it and the rest of the series on audio while walking one summer.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmmm, sad. I always found the Dark Tower series to be one of the most imaginative literature creations available. Although, I suppose there are few book series that manage to stay fresh and keep the interest running for that long.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
jament
Enthusiast
jament doesn't litterjament doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Read the whole series and enjoyed every bit of it. The ties to the rest of the King universe were interesting and I found I really cared about what happened to the characters.

I even loved the philosophical edge of the ending. I found it thought provoking.
jament is offline   Reply With Quote