Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Does Apple do this? Or any company? It seems unreasonable to me to expect Amazon or any company to become the middle man in getting lost devices back to their owners.
I agree. If you want your lost property to get back to you, clearly mark it with your contact details and hope that the finder is honest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It would be reasonable for them to provide this service as they know who the owner is. Maybe they could provide this as an opt-in service, for a fee.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
It seems that Amazon doesn't keep our Kindles very safe. If someone honest finds our lost Kindle, Amazon should contact us and ask if we want it returned, maybe for the price of p&p (and perhaps a small reward for the honest finder).

I'm surprised that they don't already provide such a service. Maybe it would be a good idea to put our names and addresses inside the cover we keep our Kindle in? Or would this last suggestion leave us open to ransom demands?
They are a retailer, not a finder service. No other gadget seller does this. Why should Amazon? As mentioned, stick some tape on the back of all your gadgets with your name and phone number. You have a high chance of getting your device back. It makes sense to use the unit since you can't return it. It will just go into a landfill otherwise.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #19
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't disagree that the OP should use the device, I just expect better service from Amazon. I obviously have higher expectations than other posters.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
I don't disagree that the OP should use the device, I just expect better service from Amazon. I obviously have higher expectations than other posters.
But no other company does this, for many reasons, most likely privacy and legal related. If other company's made provision somehow for returning lost gadgets, and Amazon was the lone holdout, maybe your view would be valid.

Imagine the space, manpower, and money, it would take to play middleman for lost items. At what benefit to Amazon? The entire process would be costly, nothing but outgo.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 05:34 AM   #21
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
It would be reasonable for them to provide this service as they know who the owner is. Maybe they could provide this as an opt-in service, for a fee.
They absolutely do not know who the owner is.

The Kindle may have been:
  • Purchased as a gift
  • Sold
  • Traded
  • Given away
  • Refurbished by a third party
  • Lost/Stolen
  • Inherited

Correctly identifying the owner of a device is just a mess that Amazon (and any other device manufacturer) does not need.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #22
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Amazon knew the account that it was registered to when it was reported lost , if they acted to block it. So it is not unreasonable to assume that's the person who would now appreciate being told it is now found?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #23
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. If you want your lost property to get back to you, clearly mark it with your contact details and hope that the finder is honest.
On my cell phone and Kindles I have a personal business card between the device and the case. It might not help but most people are honest.

Last edited by patrickt; 01-14-2019 at 08:52 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Apple, and I believe Android, provide services for helping you find your devices. I don't see why Amazon won't do the same.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #25
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Apple, and I believe Android, provide services for helping you find your devices. I don't see why Amazon won't do the same.
The Fires also have this...so Amazon does it for those devices. It's not really a "service", though...it's not something that involves any involvement of customer service. You are also able to remotely lock the device and do a remote factory reset on them.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to add these functions to the e-ink kindles, but I agree that it would be nice to have them.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #26
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
All of my Kindles have my name and phone number on all screensavers. Thanks, NiLuJe!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #27
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
All of my Kindles have my name and phone number on all screensavers. Thanks, NiLuJe!
How do you do this?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #28
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@BookCat: The ScreenSavers hack has an optional feature that pulls the "Personal Info" text from your device's settings, and overlays them in a semi-transparent banner at the bottom of the screensavers (it's currently limited to cover mode, though).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@BookCat: The ScreenSavers hack has an optional feature that pulls the "Personal Info" text from your device's settings, and overlays them in a semi-transparent banner at the bottom of the screensavers (it's currently limited to cover mode, though).
Sorry, the only part I understood was "currently limited to cover mode." Does this mean that if I prefer the list view, which I do, I can't do this?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I meant the hack's cover mode, not the Library view's .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote