Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 AM   #1
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Kobo Aura One and Koreader

I've spent SUCH a long time messing around with my KA1 trying to get Koreader working, with no success. I installed the latest stable release, then saw that it isn't supposed to be compatible. Then I did a factory reset on my KA1, and then reinstalled Kobo Start Menu, and tried installing about five different nightly releases of Koreader. The best I can get is to see "Koreader" on the Kobo Start Menu home screen. When I click it, it flashes, but nothing else. What makes it harder is that the png images don't work in nickel - I click them and nothing happens. So I keep having to power off the device.

Anybody else struggling to get Koreader working?

If anyone has it working, which nightly are you using, and which Kobo firmware are you using?
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
There is currently a problem under FW 4.2.8283 that prevents KOReader from running after nickel has run (cf. here). From your description however it seems that you tried to start KOReader without nickel having been running in the same session. So your problem might not be related to the new firmware.

As to your problem with the pngs, are you sure that the folder kbmenupngs is at the correct location? And that there is no second folder with the same images in it on the device?

Last edited by tshering; 01-19-2017 at 06:30 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
There is currently a problem under FW 4.2.8283 that prevents KOReader from running after nickel has run (cf. here). From your description however it seems that you tried to start KOReader without nickel having been running in the same session. So your problem might not be related to the new firmware.

As to your problem with the pngs, are you sure that the folder kbmenupngs is at the correct location? And that there is no second folder with the same images in it on the device?
It's strange - I tried installing KSM and Koreader after I had manually installed the latest Kobo FW update, but then I did a factory reset and tried installing KSM and Koreader again, using the previous Kobo FW - 4.2.8110.

That is the situation I am in just now. I just did a factory reset and then updated to FW 4.2.8110. Then I installed KSM and then the KA1 KSM update. Then I installed Koreader (the latest nightly build). Koreader doesn't start - it just refreshes the screen when I click the "Koreader" menu entry. This also happens when I click "usb enable.sh". To enable USB connections I have to connect through Nickel. Also, the Koreader and Nickel options on the KSM menu are disappearing frequently.

I'm following the instructions quite carefully so I'm pretty sure I'm putting the folders and things in the correct locations.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:36 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Koreader doesn't start - it just refreshes the screen when I click the "Koreader" menu entry.
I do not know what is going wrong here, but the following
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
This also happens when I click "usb enable.sh". To enable USB connections I have to connect through Nickel. Also, the Koreader and Nickel options on the KSM menu are disappearing frequently.
seems to indicate that you did not successfully install the patch for Aura one. I recommend that you try installing this patch again. Use the current archive (KSM08_ext_aura_one_03b.zip), since then KOReader will also run under FW 4.2.8283.
Just for clarification: If you are currently running FW 4.2.8110 (as you said), your problem with KOReader is not related to the patch for Aura one. So this has to be treated separately. But let us first concentrate on making "usb enable.sh" work.

Edit: As for KOReader, make sure that you install a very recent or the most recent nightly release (It can easily happen that one downloads an old nightly release from some places).

Edit 2: Things get a little complicated. It seems I have messed up the most recent version of the aura one patch (KSM08_ext_aura_one_03b), which I uploaded Jan. 20, if I remember correctly. Since your report is from 19th, this might be unrelated to your problem. I am not sure. I will upload a new version of the patch soon.

Last edited by tshering; 01-23-2017 at 10:53 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote