Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Smile E-Ink Monitor

Hi fellas,

I have a Kobo Aura HD and ever since I had it, I've developed a phobia for LCDs with back-light to the point that I desist using my smartphone and hardly switch on my desktop computer.

An e-ink display replacement for my computer monitor would be worth any amount of spending. I can easily adapt to the color blindness.

But, does such a display even exist? Please advise!!
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No such thing as an eInk monitor exists. It would not be practical.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
See HowTo: Use Kindle as secondary monitor in our wiki.

See also http://www.techhive.com/article/2595...c_display.html

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 12-18-2014 at 12:00 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't see how it would be practical, with having to move the cursor all the time. The refresh rate is too slow.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I don't see how it would be practical, with having to move the cursor all the time. The refresh rate is too slow.
It could be practical since the controller as designed can refresh only part of the screen if you wish. If the designer wanted to really make a monitor the controller could be utilized to perform in such a fashion. And the program could do xor of some shape like an x and never actually do a refresh by reading the data in a buffer.

Dale
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
But Linux doesn't work that way.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Thanks for the links ! I searched around for the Kobo as well without any hits. Got any leads?
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Touchscreen? No refreshes needed.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibalban View Post
Thanks for the links ! I searched around for the Kobo as well without any hits. Got any leads?
Well, I would learn how to do this in Linux and then look at KOReader as a starting point. It should be possible since you can replace the Linux version in a Kobo with anything you want.

Dale
Old 12-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
xibalban
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well, I would learn how to do this in Linux and then look at KOReader as a starting point. It should be possible since you can replace the Linux version in a Kobo with anything you want.

Dale
Thanks for the heads up, but most eReader's screens are too small for a computer to begin with. I was on the hunt for a respectable size e-ink display.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibalban View Post
Thanks for the heads up, but most eReader's screens are too small for a computer to begin with. I was on the hunt for a respectable size e-ink display.
I already posted a link for the Kindle DX which is plenty big. You specifically asked for Kobo but Kobo doesn't make a big screen. How can I answer a question on a specific product that does not exist.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 12-19-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
xibalban
Connoisseur

Quote:
I already posted a link for the Kindle DX which is plenty big. You specifically asked for Kobo but Kobo doesn't make a big screen. How can I answer a question on a specific product that does not exist.

Dale
Will do, but at least a 14 incher would have been "perfect".
Old 12-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nobody makes an eInk display in 14".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No such thing as an eInk monitor exists. It would not be practical.
It depends what you want to use it for. I browse, edit text and spreadsheets on a low-def 6" e-ink screen. I got used to it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
If you use black/white (as opposed to grey-scale) mode, it's much faster.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote