Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 06-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
MobileRead migration complete / Small changes

We are back! During the past four hours MobileRead had been migrated to a new server. Except for the photo gallery, all features are back and running.

You would do us a big favor if you could report any problems or annoyances you may encounter. We are more than happy to change things around.

A few things that are new:
  • Frontpage. Beside the news, our frontpage also shows the latest hot topics, the latest polls, the latest Wiki edits, and the latest files attached to the forum.
  • Forum software. There are too many small changes to list here. The biggest improvement is that now a thread is marked read only if you have actually read it. Also, threads that are older than 10 days will be marked as read. Previously, all threads were automatically considered read once you've been inactive for a certain amount (cookie-based).
  • Fixed Layout: If you prefer our traditional liquid look, check out this post.

What has not changed yet is our design. We are still waiting for our designer to deliver some results. I have great hopes that the results will be great, but until then, you'll have to stick to my obnoxious html skillz
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Hey alexander!

Good to see the page back up...but I must admit that something looks strange for me right now...

You said the design has not changed, but it looks quite different to me now. I'm missing things left and right...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Hey alexander!

Good to see the page back up...but I must admit that something looks strange for me right now...

You said the design has not changed, but it looks quite different to me now. I'm missing things left and right...
Hi Roland, it's true, we tweaked a few parts here and there, but the real redesign of the frontpage is still under development. Is there something in particular that you are missing?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Congrats on the successful migration

One thing: Could you bring back the icons depicting the e-reader device etc. of each forum sections?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Congrats on the successful migration

One thing: Could you bring back the icons depicting the e-reader device etc. of each forum sections?
Absolutely. Not everything has already been updated, we'll do it in the next two days.
Advert
Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Aiiyo!

It is nice to have MR back. It all looks good.

But here in China I was awake during the surgery!

As they say here: Aiiyo!
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
But here in China I was awake during the surgery!
We tried to hurry, but some complication arose. No worries, patient is in good condition

I am curious since you are from China... can you feel any improvement in connectivity?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
It looks great, but have a little request:

Change that width="960" to width="100%" in the template HTML..

[RANT]
Now the pages have a table with the 'width="960" ', that makes all pages to have horizontal scroll for me (what's the problem with 'width=100%'?, that works in every display..), using 800x600.

That is, I usually read mobileread in the HTPC, attached to an standard PAL TV, with the PC using 800x600 resolution (which is similar enough to 768x576 of the TV to not lose too many pixels, and be readable).
[/RANT]
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Am I imagining things, or do our own posts not show up in the recent post queries anymore? Not a problem because there is a specific query for our own new posts in the drop down for "new posts", but was curious.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Okay, I can answer my own question because I just discovered Quick Links that has the "Todays Posts" query. Wonderful! I like the other quck links also!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oooooo... I wanna see the garden!

Yeah, when I noticed that there was no "MobileRead" logo next to the icon, I knew you still have a ways to go. Can't wait to see the final final!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
It looks great, but have a little request:

Change that width="960" to width="100%" in the template HTML..

[RANT]
Now the pages have a table with the 'width="960" ', that makes all pages to have horizontal scroll for me (what's the problem with 'width=100%'?, that works in every display..), using 800x600.

That is, I usually read mobileread in the HTPC, attached to an standard PAL TV, with the PC using 800x600 resolution (which is similar enough to 768x576 of the TV to not lose too many pixels, and be readable).
[/RANT]
Rant accepted We'll add a "liquid" layout you can choose. In one or two days...
Old 06-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #13
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
In forum software it is really preferred to have the name/avatar/poster information off to the side so it does not interrupt the flow of the thread. It is hard to read a string of replies when in between each reply you have to scroll past all of this information. This is pretty much a usability standard in today's modern-era forums. Is it possible to change this back?

Also, it does not seem the front page gives you a popup when you have a new PM any more, it would be nice if the "X unread message!" link that shows at the top was made to stand out in some way, bolded red for example.

It would also be nice if in linear mode (the mode any non-masochist uses) the quick reply button defaulted as a reply to either the original post or the last post in the thread. Just someway to make it active by default. For linear users it doesn't make much sense to make them have to pick a post they are replying to, to them all the posts are in one string.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 06-03-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Great Work Alex!

I liked looking over for the tons of tiny details.

A good feature is the display menu choice.

Question: What is that 'Report' icon next to Karma? I don't dare try it in case it blows up somebody or something.

Suggestion: Would there be a way to personnalize the Smilie layout and put the ones we use the most? Because of time considerations, I resorted to learning a handful by heart and type them in manually.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I am curious since you are from China... can you feel any improvement in connectivity?
It is too soon to say. Response is good. I will reply in a few days if I notice anything . . .
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote