Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #211
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
i don't know if it's a problem with the Nova or it's generic to
Neo Reader v2.0 but.....

Very often i read one epub from start to end and the book is said to be one or two page more even if this is not true.
Sometime the thing can be solved disabling reader / system bar or changing fonts or trying to point to the last page.
More likely i end up with book read at 99% and that defeats sorting by finished or unread book.
Is there a way to force a book to appear as read?
As of now, having loaded all my books on the device, i keep a calibre catalog to remember what i read already
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #212
kaper123
kaper123 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2, Boyue T62, BOOX Nova
ADE frustrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaper123 View Post
Has anyone had any luck with transferring books using ADE? https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-edit...-editions.html

I also tried using Calibre, but the file cannot open once on the device https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html
This is one of the books I am trying to read, https://archive.org/details/cookinghungarian00harg
I transferred the PDF using Calibre. When I click on the book image in the library I get: "Open document failed!"
Also downloaded the URLLink.acsm using the browser but it fails to fulfill. Is there any other possible workaround? Maybe DRM is the only way forward? Thanks for any help.
kaper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #213
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I have a general question for everybody who has the NOVA regarding the surfing experience.

Is it usable as an e-ink tablet for surfing the web? I mean really how fast is opening the web pages and can I normally use it instead of the tablet or its still not recommended as a main surfing device?

In the moment I use Samsung tablet and read books on it but I frequently open the web browser to see something on internet or after some time open Duolingo (or similar app) to learn some foreign language. Also have several dictionaries from the google app store.

Can I use the NOVA the same way or its not there yet? I don't want to give 250-300 Euro (with taxes and shipping) only to be disappointed that I didn't get a cheaper device if its only usable for reading.

I was searching the web for exactly the same question but didn't find a definite answer so any help/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:14 AM   #214
kaper123

Surfing the web

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiorent View Post
Is it usable as an e-ink tablet for surfing the web?
I don't think it is acceptable yet for browsing the web but it is certainly a lot faster then earlier e-readers. It is a bit expensive at the moment, you may want to perhaps wait another year? Overall though I am really enjoying the larger screen and faster performance. Here is a quick Youtube video review that may help you decide, https://youtu.be/FLuJrYew7lE
Old 01-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #215
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I don't think it is acceptable yet for browsing the web but it is certainly a lot faster then earlier e-readers. It is a bit expensive at the moment, you may want to perhaps wait another year? Overall though I am really enjoying the larger screen and faster performance. Here is a quick Youtube video review that may help you decide, https://youtu.be/FLuJrYew7lE
Thank you, that was exactly the info I needed!
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #216
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Has anyone had any luck with transferring books using ADE? https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-edit...-editions.html

I also tried using Calibre, but the file cannot open once on the device https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html
If i got it correct, you installed Adobe Digital Edition on the Nova and you logged in with a personal account.
Then you moved the DRM-ed epub/pdf file on the nova.
If you simply tap on the book, it will use Neo Reader 2.0 as opening application and then it will say "Open document failed" as the file is crypted.
If you tap the book a little longer you will have a context menu were you can choose "open with" and then choose Digital Edition.
It work but the application is pretty basic.
Maybe if you frequent public libraries and you go around with just the Nova, it can be useful.
Quite frankly if i buy an ebook with Adobe DRM, i get rid of it on my computer and then use Calibre to send a personal unencrypted copy to the Nova.

Last edited by underscore; 01-13-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #217
kaper123

Adobe Digital Edition Solution for Internet Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If you tap the book a little longer you will have a context menu were you can choose "open with" and then choose Digital Edition.
For some reason I do not see ADE as an option in the menu (?!?). But for Internet Archive there is at least one solution I finally rediscovered - Aldiko Book Reader (via https://support.ebooks.com/hc/en-gb/...gital-Editions). Aldiko opens the Epub version of the book by default, but hoping to be able to open the alternative PDF format as Epubs at archive.org have many small errors.

Quote:
Quite frankly if i buy an ebook with Adobe DRM, i get rid of it on my computer and then use Calibre to send a personal unencrypted copy to the Nova.
Not possible for library books I believe (nor should be used), but if that is the only route for purchased books, may be the only viable option.

I contacted Onxy via Facebook, to complain, as this device is expensive it should be easy to use ADE content without jumping through hoops. If they reply I will post. I won't hold my breath though, as they seem more into promoting their even more expensive Wacom pen support these days, https://twitter.com/onyxboox
Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #218
chronoreverse
Enthusiast
chronoreverse is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm interested in Boox Nova because of the possibility it could use the Bookwalker app.

Can anyone with the Boox Nova and Google Play Store test if the Bookwalker app works?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.android.epub

Thanks
chronoreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:39 AM   #219
underscore
Addict

The application install and react quickly to first launch and menu and my furious attempts to use it.
I guess you use that app daily on a tablet but i found it not that much user friendly to occasional westener user.
I ended up with a few page default japanese instruction book, or, i think it was instructions
In the attempt of testing it a bit more i was forced to create an account, to which i decided to use my google one.
Then going to the store a separate instance ofa web browser was launched and i tried to pick a random free manga...which then alerted me it had some regional limits so i failed.
I can provide pictures if you want.

As a matter of comparison on the Nova i use perfect viewer for some italian/english/american comics.
It can also read from right to left to adapt to manga.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #220
supertoth
JJMora
supertoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Icarus Illumina XL HD
Pagination on Instapaper doesn't work.

I just received my Boox Nova and updated it to the latest firmware, Installed the instapaper app for Google Play and tried pagination within the app. Tapping to the next page brings the menu but doesn't advance a page. I have tried several app versions and the behavior continues. I changed different settings on the app optimization but it persist.

Does anybody have a solution/suggestion?
Did it work on the previous firmware?
I have a Note Plus and doesn't have this problem.

Thanks
supertoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #221
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoth View Post
Pagination on Instapaper doesn't work.

I just received my Boox Nova and updated it to the latest firmware, Installed the instapaper app for Google Play and tried pagination within the app. Tapping to the next page brings the menu but doesn't advance a page. I have tried several app versions and the behavior continues. I changed different settings on the app optimization but it persist.

Does anybody have a solution/suggestion?
Did it work on the previous firmware?
I have a Note Plus and doesn't have this problem.

Thanks
I have Instapaper on my Nova. Pagination works, but tapping won't turn a page. You need to swipe right to left to turn to the next page, or left to right to turn to the previous one.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #222
supertoth
JJMora
supertoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Icarus Illumina XL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I have Instapaper on my Nova. Pagination works, but tapping won't turn a page. You need to swipe right to left to turn to the next page, or left to right to turn to the previous one.
Yes, but tapping turns a page on the Note+.
Did you notice the same behavior on the previous firmware?
supertoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #223
chronoreverse
Enthusiast
chronoreverse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The application install and react quickly to first launch and menu and my furious attempts to use it.
I guess you use that app daily on a tablet but i found it not that much user friendly to occasional westener user.
I ended up with a few page default japanese instruction book, or, i think it was instructions
In the attempt of testing it a bit more i was forced to create an account, to which i decided to use my google one.
Then going to the store a separate instance ofa web browser was launched and i tried to pick a random free manga...which then alerted me it had some regional limits so i failed.
I can provide pictures if you want.

As a matter of comparison on the Nova i use perfect viewer for some italian/english/american comics.
It can also read from right to left to adapt to manga.
Many thanks for testing this for me! Now I can seriously consider this
chronoreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #224
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoth View Post
Yes, but tapping turns a page on the Note+.
Did you notice the same behavior on the previous firmware?
Yes, It's been consistent.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 PM   #225
Simpetus
Enthusiast
Simpetus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hello everyone, I am seriously consider to join the club, but have some questions. It would be really appreciated if you guys can help.

1. USB-C to Mini-jack or USB-C headphones. The e-book has USB-C, will USB-C to Mini-jack 3.5mm converter or USB-C headphones work with NOVA? Will it be possible to use wire headphones?

2. Moon-reader + TTS. Anyone reading books with TTS? How is it on NOVA? Does TTS text highlighting work OK (considering e-link displays has slow response)?

3. Bluetooth headphones + E-book battery performance. If anyone uses Bluetooth headphones with the book, for how long e-book battery lasts, what impact Bluetooth has on performance of the battery?

Thank you very much!
Simpetus is offline   Reply With Quote