Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
brunolalb
brunolalb doesn't litterbrunolalb doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
YAWK - Yet Another Weather app for Kobo

Application on Github: https://github.com/brunolalb/yawk

Based on Kevin Short's app (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=194376)

Running on Python's distribution from NiLuJe (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254214)

Using the excellent library FBInk from NiLuJe (https://github.com/NiLuJe/py-fbink)

Uses Open Weather Maps as forecast and current conditions provider (https://openweathermap.org/)

Everything was tested on a Kobo Glo using the firmware 4.13.12638 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobo_Glo)

Disclaimer
The procedure I'm suggesting here will most likely void the warranty.

Follow the guidelines at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any problems that might arise from this app's usage.

Installation
  1. I suggest you Reset your device to factory defaults:
    1. Turn it off
    2. Holding the Light Switch, slide the power button for ~1 sec
    3. Hold the Light switch until the "Restoring" screen appears
    4. Follow directions on the screen (you'll need the Kobo Setup app and an account, I used from RakutenKobo itself)
    5. Update everything, connect to your WiFi network
  2. Provide telnet access - you can skip this step if you're able to find out the IP address of the device using some other method.
    1. Check the file .kobo/ip.txt for the IP address
  3. Install NiLuJe's Stuff - tested with Version 1.5.N @ r15719 on 2019-Apr-06 @ 07:25
  4. Using the preferred FTP client (ie: WinSCP), copy the repository's content to the folder /mnt/onboard/.apps/yawk
  5. Create an account in Open Weather Maps:
    1. Take note of your API key
    2. Find out the ID your city (use the website to check the weather in your city, copy the ID from the URL)
  6. Open a SSH (or telnet) connection (user: root, password blank), navigate to /mnt/onboard/.apps/yawk/ and run install.sh
    1. if it says "-sh ./install.sh: not found", you have to convert the line endings to unix style:
      sed -i 's/^M$//' install.sh
    2. Answer the questions correctly

Doubts, suggestions
brunolalb@gmail.com

Last edited by brunolalb; 04-14-2019 at 08:47 AM.
brunolalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Glad to see Pillow + FBInk being used for something .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
so wish there was a simplier method to install all this and run it....
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo H2O (broken), Kobo H2O Edition 2 v1 (stolen), Kobo Clara 2E
Hey brunolalb !
I was wondering about a few things on your weather app...
1/ Seeing how it was made, I guess that after the installation, it automatically boots on your app, and you can no longer boot nickel ? Do you provide an uninstallation script ?
2/ Would it be possible then to adapt you script so that it boots only if there a certain file on the SD Card for instance, so that we can just remove the SD Card when we want to use the reader to read ebooks ?
3/ Or how hard would be an integration with KoboStartMenu ?

I am very interested in adapting your app for a personal project I had abandoned a few years ago due to the lack of tools (thanks NiLuJe for your work too !)
Mavireck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You could theoretically write a wrapper launch script that you could use either via KFMon or KSM.

See KOReader or Plato's launch scripts for a few examples that handle both (and will kill Nickel if needed).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #6
brunolalb

A few bugs have been fixed and lots of stuff optimised.

I tested everything again with the latest package from NiLuJe (Kobo Stuff 1.6.N-r18009) using python 3.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
I don't understand why you recommend a factory reset though
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:47 AM   #8
brunolalb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
I don't understand why you recommend a factory reset though
In case you already have something installed...like an older version of Niluje's stuff...
this way you know you're in a clean state...and since the idea of this piece of software was to be the only thing running, it kind of makes sense
Old 12-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #9
ICDeadPpl
Enthusiast
ICDeadPpl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is it possible to modify this to have a more prominent display of time?
Like the "Monday" section in the screenshot of post #1, I'd like it to show the current time with large fonts, so it can be seen from the other side of the room.
ICDeadPpl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, kobo, python, weather app