Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
caike
caike began at the beginning.

Device: none
is 7 inch screen big enough for A4 size ebook?

Hi all,

I'm a heavy pdf format ebook reader. I bought a crap 6 inch e-ink reader before (not a big brand) . It is good for txt format novels but it's too small for A4 pdf ebooks. So I'm considering PRS-900.

Is the 7 inch screen big enough for A4 size pdf books? (Kindle DX seems too big)

How about its pdf support?

Thanks.
caike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
If you're trying to read something highly formatted, like an academic paper, you'll probably have a tough time, particularly if its got a lot of graphic content, tables, etc.

That said, I've had pretty good luck with text-centric PDF books, both purchased and from the library. The 900 remaps/reflows text relatively quickly when the text is enlarged. The "S"mall size generally shows a full page image, but that's too small to read. I find "M"edium usually OK for reading, but it requires reformatting/remapping the text.

If you download the Sony desktop software you can get a rough idea of how it will work.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 08-30-2010 at 10:35 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
caike

I'm a programmer, you can image how many books I have to read to keep myself updated

Unfortunately, those books are highly formatted with graphics, tables and code snippets.

I understand the "remaps/reflows " but pdf is hard to do that. if you enlarge it, the whole page size will increase as well. So you have to read text from left, then drag it to read right side.

So I guess the answer is no, 7 inch screen is not big enough for A4 pdf file?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
You should definitely consider a 9-10" reader for A4.
There will be new devices presented at IFA Berlin this week.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I've read a couple of magazines on my 6" PRS600. Allthough possible, it was a little cumbersome to move between one pages sections. Moving between the sections would be ok if there wasn't the screen refresh rate which is fairly slow compared to an LCD.
As for size, I read magazines on my iPad now and the 9.7" is just enough. If font size is well selected by the editors, I can read a complete page without zooming. But there are still magazines where font size is too small to be comfortably read, so I use zooming there. But zooming on a LCD-device is working out far better than on eInk as moving around on a page is far quicker.

Don't get me wrong, I love my PRS505/600, but for magazines I would recommend at least around 10" and if you have graphs and such where color could be important, I would go with a LCD-device. I don't know about battery on different devices, but the iPad is doing quite well. If I only use it for reading (no wifi, no internet browsing), then I usually get around 1 week between charging cycles (depending on your reading habits this could be less, but most people seem to be satisfied with battery life of the iPad).
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I'm currently hesitating between a 9.7" and a 6". To help you decide, you might try to draw the different screen size on a sheet of paper...it certainly made me realize how small it actually is. 9.7" diagonal for example is only approximately an A5 (so half a A4 sheet).
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Yep, even with 9.7 being "BIG", it's still on the small side for a magazine. But it somehow works for me
But if possible, check the different sizes out at a store. I checked my PRS600 in store and also played around with the ipad before buying. Testing out really helps big time.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
dr_halex
dr_halex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I usually read A4 PDF on my PRS-900. I agree that readability depends on the the amount of graphics and tables present in the documet. Generally I do the following:
1) crop the margin of the PDF sheets with the appropriate software on the PC/Mac;
2) trabsfer the PDF on the reader;
2) read the PDF changing the orientation on the reader
Alessandro
dr_halex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caike View Post
I'm a programmer, you can image how many books I have to read to keep myself updated

Unfortunately, those books are highly formatted with graphics, tables and code snippets.

I understand the "remaps/reflows " but pdf is hard to do that. if you enlarge it, the whole page size will increase as well. So you have to read text from left, then drag it to read right side.

So I guess the answer is no, 7 inch screen is not big enough for A4 pdf file?
I've got a few O'Reilly programming books on my 900 (e.g. Learning Python) and they actually look pretty good, including the code snippets. But the books aren't A4 sized either. The only problems I've noted is that a paper book is handier to flip through when at the computer, there still is a problem with tables splitting at awkward spots, and screen shots can be tough to read. But all in all it's an OK experience, particularly for a "first read" on a new topic, and sure nicer than dragging the two pound hard copy around.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with just the ebook, except for a really infrequently used book, if only for the convenience of the paper version for use next to the computer.

The biggest problem I've had with PDF's are academic papers which are typically 8x11 inches, two column with many interspersed graphics. Those can turn into a real mess.

If you've got any sample books, it might be worth trying it out on the Sony desktop software, or sticking them on an SD card and trying it out on a Reader, if you've got a retailer near you.

Cheers,

Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
caike

Thank you guys, I think it's better to keep waiting for other devices. I'm very looking forward to the IFA Berlin.

I tried iPhone 4 yesterday and got a quite impression about the Retina display. Unfortunately, iPad doesn't use Retina display currently so I will try its competitor, Super AMOLED, Samsung Galaxy Tab. It will be announced in IFA but it's only 7 inch too.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
sam5154
sam5154 began at the beginning.

galaxy tab has been already announced. it came with a TFT LCD.
I'm wondering if the 8" iRex DR800 iz really bigger than daily edition.normal zooming aside, it has better PDF support.and a interesting display. but price is twice as sony.(without any cover or bags)
sam5154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by caike View Post
Hi all,

I'm a heavy pdf format ebook reader. I bought a crap 6 inch e-ink reader before (not a big brand) . It is good for txt format novels but it's too small for A4 pdf ebooks. So I'm considering PRS-900.

Is the 7 inch screen big enough for A4 size pdf books? (Kindle DX seems too big)

How about its pdf support?
The best size for an A4 pdf is 14.36" screen with 1000 points per inch (no such reader exists)

A 7" screen is half size. Before buying my first reader, I did a reality-test by doing some printouts and reducing them according to screensize, it gave me a pretty accurate gauge on what I could and couldn't do really well on my new reader.

PS: I'm underwhelmed with the pdf support on the Kindle 3 at least.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The way to read PDFs on the PRS900 is to use it landscape, displaying a third of a page at the time. It works if you are dealing with mostly text, but it's not very convenient if you have a lot of figures, text, graphs and so forth.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
Mike_73
Guru

I never liked reading in landscape format. That's why I bought my PRS600 initially, and I'm pretty satisfied how it handles A4 pdf with pan and zoom. So I zoom in on the text portion I want to read and just get on the display what I want to see.