Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Darkness of typeface - can I adjust it?

I haven't seen this question answered. Is it possible to adjust the darkness of the type itself on a PRS-600? Sometimes I feel like there isn't enough contrast between the type and the backscreen and wish I could make the type a little bolder. Anyone?
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
No you can't make the text bolder or darker on the device itself.

The only way I know of getting around this is to edit your ebooks (not usually an easy task) and perhaps make all the text bold. And editing the files is another question entirely as to the file type and editing software etc.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are willing to reflash your reader, see Replace DEFAULT epub fonts! (PRS-600). This is for ePub only. You can then either choose a heavier default font or simply specify bold as the default font weight.

As poshm said, it is also possible to do this one ePub file at a time. This is a viable approach if you are converting all files via Calibre (and they are all DRM-free) anyway, but otherwise not. The advantage of the modified firmware is that it works even for DRMed ePubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I'll try it that way. Too bad you can't adjust it like the size. Oh well, maybe the next model will have that feature.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
I haven't seen this question answered. Is it possible to adjust the darkness of the type itself on a PRS-600? Sometimes I feel like there isn't enough contrast between the type and the backscreen and wish I could make the type a little bolder. Anyone?
If you make your own ebooks, one thing you could try is to change the font. I used to use Thorndale (a font similar to Times New Roman) as my main font for my ebooks and it was a bit light. I started using Georgia as my main font and the text was darker.

The best thing to do is experiment with a number of fonts to see which one looks the best on your ereader.

To provide an example:

Times New Roman

Georgia

Garamond
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
mbelec
Addict

Good idea; thanks!