Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
syfr
syfr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Sllooooowwwww news downloads

I've noticed that for the past several days, Calibre is trying for hours to download several periodicals (CSM, Wired, American Spectator, etc). Is there anything one can do to improve the efficiency of the feed to the Kindle? Both days I've just given up and killed the downloads

Thanks
John
syfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfr View Post
I've noticed that for the past several days, Calibre is trying for hours to download several periodicals (CSM, Wired, American Spectator, etc). Is there anything one can do to improve the efficiency of the feed to the Kindle? Both days I've just given up and killed the downloads

Thanks
John
Get a faster net connection?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
syfr

Have fast broadband cable. It's not the hose that's the problem.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
I've noticed a couple of the news feeds taking ages to download as well, BBC being the main one I've spotted taking close to two hours sometimes. That does seem to be a particularly huge book that it eventually compiles for that so I was going to just write my own version with less of the RSS feed in it, but from watching the actual downloads happening it seems that it is the article download rather than the conversion to a Calibre book that is taking the time.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Sony Reader
Sony Reader began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
The BBC is giving me a problem as it frequently hangs. I've created several recipes (one for each section) then run them one at a time. It helps but does not cure the problem. The "Front Page" seems to be the worst section at the moment.
Sony Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
syfr

BBC is one. Slashdot is another.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There would be a new version of BBC recipe in the next release. Users will be able to choose - old news feed that gets all the images and new one that only gets the text and it is therefore much faster.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
I've also noticed that the BBC feeds will download the same story multiple times. Each story being linked from several of their RSS feeds can't be doing anything good as far as the speed of the download is concerned.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
syfr

OK, no problem. I just wanted to make sure that it was not something I had misconfigured, etc.