Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
pengrus
Enthusiast
pengrus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Newspaper vs Magazine Best Practice on Kindle

I am new Kindle 2 owner. So far I enjoyed it very much. I have a question for experienced users in best practice e-reading.

I have subscribed to a few newspapers in Kindle, such as Financial Times, since I enjoy the benefit of wireless delivery daily. This will save me a lot of time.

For the magazines, since many of them publishes every month or bi-weekly, we might be better off to use software such as Calibre to fetch them. For example, Calibre has The Economist (Print content), Forbes, Business Week, Discover Magazine, Scientific American, and Time. Since these magazine supposed not to be daily publication, it is okay for me to fetch them every Saturday or so.

My question is:
how good or complete is Calibre fetched magazines? Are they pretty much the complete content as print version or most of them are just fetched off their web content, and how different is the web content compared to their print content?

I have read somewhere that National Geographic has all print version online for free. Is this the case for most of the magazines listed above?

Will this Calibre thing works well? Or there is still no substitute for subscribing to the official Kindle Magazines?

What is your best practice?

Thanks a lot for your kind input.
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Well, I am new K2 owner as well, but I think the difference may be that Calibre downloads are text only? where with Amazon sub, you get pictures too. Plus a free two weeks to evaluate before committing to buying is nice. I just spent the last hour reading through USA Today from Amazon and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have two weeks to check it out, but I suspect $0.48 a day is going to be worth it! We live in a fairly rural area so getting the paper every day wireless is going to be great! I think I am getting spoiled!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The Washington Post and Newsweek via Amazon do not have pictures.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's news ebooks include images for some sources (e.g. newsweek and nyt) and not for some others. It depends on the website and how much effort the recipe writer put into creating the recipe for that website
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
pengrus
Enthusiast
pengrus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.

Kovidgoyal: Now I understand. Thank you. It depends on the recipe. :-)
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert