Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
New Years Resolutions?

Here in the States, its customary to make New Years resolutions to start the new year right. Some resolve to lose weight, some resolve to save more, spend less, etc.

Is this a world wide thing? Forgive my ignorance.

Mine is to get back into the sewing room and make more quilts, and have some great gifts to give next year.

What are your New Years resolutions, if any?

Happy New Year, everyone.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Convert and post fewer books. Sounds odd, perhaps, but it really is hurting my reading time which is already rather limited.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mine are the same as last year. I resolve to:

1. Eat more things that are bad for me.
2, Spend more and save less.
3. Goof off more at work.

I worked hard to keep those resolutions in 2008, and will continue to keep them in 2009.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Mine are the same as last year. I resolve to:

1. Eat more things that are bad for me.
2, Spend more and save less.
3. Goof off more at work.

I worked hard to keep those resolutions in 2008, and will continue to keep them in 2009.
What else could on expect from the big C.?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here in the States, its customary to make New Years resolutions to start the new year right. Some resolve to lose weight, some resolve to save more, spend less, etc.

Is this a world wide thing? Forgive my ignorance.

Mine is to get back into the sewing room and make more quilts, and have some great gifts to give next year.

What are your New Years resolutions, if any?

Happy New Year, everyone.........
It's certainly something we do in the UK.

It's also traditional to have broken most of them by mid March, except the one about joining the gymn, which is usually broken by mid february

And despite the cynicism there, I do make new year's resolutions, on, um, the day after winter solstice (for personal reasons mostly related to the days getting longer again)

Mine are to carry on losing weight, finally get to the bottom of my hormone problems, manage my money better, and do more sewing and jewellery making
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
So far, it is to read ten books a month

Last year it was to mark down all of my finances in my little book. 12 months later and I'm still going strong! I try to pick stuff that I can actually do, lol.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
So far, it is to read ten books a month

Last year it was to mark down all of my finances in my little book. 12 months later and I'm still going strong! I try to pick stuff that I can actually do, lol.
I used to read so much more before I joined here.......
Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
My resolution for 2009 is to train myself TO BE MORE POSITIVE.

I'm a born pessimist, but I believe intellectually in the benefits of a positive attitude.

I've been successful with past resolutions. Several years ago I resolved to get more organized. I've been applying myself to that resolution for years and finally feel that I have achieved it adequately enough to move onto new resolution.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm one whose resolutions are rarely kept past the first of March. One that I have kept (well, mostly kept) was made in 2004; that was to keep a record of all books read during the year. I posted them in a blog I set up for documenting the books I've been reading. In 2006, my online record only goes through June, and I didn't post any of the book information online in 2007. I've been trying to reconstruct these lists from forum posts, e-mails, journals, etc. Since I missed the lists at the end of 2007, I renewed my determination to record every book and I've kept a very detailed list on my laptop this year. Each quarter, I transfer the information to the blog.

One wise person recommends setting new goals or wishes instead of resolutions. Just changing the term might promise more success. After all, we're very familiar with "broken resolutions", but I can't think of similar terms for not achieving or following through with goals or wishes.

You might make a list of 10 goals for the coming year. You could even make ten wishes in each of many categories of importance in your life. Julia Cameron, in The Artist's Way, suggests health, possessions, leisure, relationships, creativity, career, and spirituality. Or you could use Stephen Covey's categories: physical, mental, emotional/social and spiritual.

And, if you're sure you're going to break some of your resolutions, pick some absolutely stupendous ones. I think I'll choose "travel in space" as a resolution that I'm sure will be broken.

@ShortNCuddlyAm: I know a lot of people who choose new goals at times other than New Year's Day. Candlemas (February 2) is a popular date.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
One wise person recommends setting new goals or wishes instead of resolutions. Just changing the term might promise more success. After all, we're very familiar with "broken resolutions", but I can't think of similar terms for not achieving or following through with goals or wishes.

You might make a list of 10 goals for the coming year. You could even make ten wishes in each of many categories of importance in your life. Julia Cameron, in The Artist's Way, suggests health, possessions, leisure, relationships, creativity, career, and spirituality. Or you could use Stephen Covey's categories: physical, mental, emotional/social and spiritual.

And, if you're sure you're going to break some of your resolutions, pick some absolutely stupendous ones. I think I'll choose "travel in space" as a resolution that I'm sure will be broken.
interesting suggestions. i like the idea of wishes. but i might wish for something totally unattainable...

Quote:
@ShortNCuddlyAm: I know a lot of people who choose new goals at times other than New Year's Day. Candlemas (February 2) is a popular date.
in france, february 2 is le chandeleur, and the tradition is to make crêpes ; you put a coin in the hand you use to hold the pan (traditionally it was a 10 franc coin, now 1 euro will have to do) and if you catch the crêpe perfectly when you throw it up to turn it over you will have money in the house all year. not really a resolution, but definitely a goal and a wish !

if i make any resolutions i usually make them in autumn which seems like a much more convincing time of year to observe an end of one cycle / beginning of another. or maybe springtime, which is a real beginning. 31st of december just seems random. winter before, winter after... where's the change ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
interesting suggestions. i like the idea of wishes. but i might wish for something totally unattainable...

in france, february 2 is le chandeleur, and the tradition is to make crêpes ; you put a coin in the hand you use to hold the pan (traditionally it was a 10 franc coin, now 1 euro will have to do) and if you catch the crêpe perfectly when you throw it up to turn it over you will have money in the house all year. not really a resolution, but definitely a goal and a wish !

if i make any resolutions i usually make them in autumn which seems like a much more convincing time of year to observe an end of one cycle / beginning of another. or maybe springtime, which is a real beginning. 31st of december just seems random. winter before, winter after... where's the change ?

plz send crepes with nutella nom nom nom kthnxbai
Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
plz send crepes with nutella nom nom nom kthnxbai
ah, a connaisseur i see !

i quite like lemon juice and sugar as well...

or sometimes chestnut cream...

or, if i'm hungry, egg and cheese...

i love crêpes.

damned, now i'm hungry.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
ah, a connaisseur i see !

i quite like lemon juice and sugar as well...

or sometimes chestnut cream...

or, if i'm hungry, egg and cheese...

i love crêpes.

damned, now i'm hungry.
I love nutella

Especially melted drizzled on Belgian waffles with powdered sugar. MMmmmmm.

Picture time!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Lilac, nice to finally meet you!!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

look out, paper plates not for nom !!!