Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
epub vs lrf - why choose epub for sony reader?

Aside from the single advantage of portability, what is the advantage of converting to epub rather that lrf for use in the Sony reader? It would seem we can have more control over the format (font etc) for the lrf. I am keeping my source file-usually lit in calibre with the the converted file, so aside from some future change in reader, resulting in some additional minimal effort, I don't understand the advantage, if any.

Mitch
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Controlling the fonts for epub will happen eventually. The big advantage of EPUB is that epub books don't seem to crash the reader as often as LRF. Other advantages include support for tables, inline links and other advanced formatting.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Controlling the fonts for epub will happen eventually. The big advantage of EPUB is that epub books don't seem to crash the reader as often as LRF. Other advantages include support for tables, inline links and other advanced formatting.
Inline links? Does that include inline links to OTHER FILES???

If so, we've got the key missing piece to make a decent book index for the Sony Reader!

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no i meant inline links to text content. LRF only supports block level links.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
It is possible to make either lrf or epub files with imbedded fonts,
but you can also make epub files that use fonts in the directory installed in the device, thus making every file smaller and giving user control over fonts- it will use whatever fonts you put in that directory, I dont think it is possible to do with lrf. I did test it on Sony readers 505,300, 600.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
Devil's advocate

Everything said above, esp. by kovid, is of course true. EPUB is a superior format, IMHO, and you can do some amazing things (svg equations!, with numbers that are inline links!)

But there are a few nice things about lrf, at least on a 505. I like the headers and footers (having chapter name and book name or author has a nice book like aesthetic to me). Justified text is nice.

These are limitations of the hardware's implementation of epub, rather than intrinsic to the format, but still factors to consider.
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm not going to use Epub until the side margin page numbers go away. I can live without the text justification but the page numbers still bug me.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I honestly don't know how Sony could switch to ePub as a standard format before fixing the justification and side page number issues it has on their readers. It's baffling that they still haven't at least gotten justification working.

I'm sticking with lrf until then.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The side page numbers are courtesy of Adobe. Sony is using Adobe's mobile software for EPUB. They are also personal preference. I happen to like them.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
mint
mint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I find my PRS505 opens epub files much faster than lrf. Every time when I open lrf, the reader will take a few seconds rendering it. This never happens with epub. I find this odd, you'd think that since lrf is Sony's proprietary format, the Sony reader would be able to render it quickly.
mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The side page numbers are courtesy of Adobe. Sony is using Adobe's mobile software for EPUB. They are also personal preference. I happen to like them.
And the PRS900 doesn't have the side page numbers or justification... looks like they picked up an updated SDK, but it remains to be seen if this will roll out to other reader models (seeing as the 900 only started shipping about 2 weeks ago).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint View Post
I find my PRS505 opens epub files much faster than lrf. Every time when I open lrf, the reader will take a few seconds rendering it. This never happens with epub. I find this odd, you'd think that since lrf is Sony's proprietary format, the Sony reader would be able to render it quickly.
If you used Sony software to load the lrf files you wouldn't have that delay with lrf files. That's the price you pay using a superior more diverse product in Calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
And the PRS900 doesn't have the side page numbers or justification... looks like they picked up an updated SDK, but it remains to be seen if this will roll out to other reader models (seeing as the 900 only started shipping about 2 weeks ago).

I hope this means an update for the 505 is coming along soon to fix the side numbers and justification problem, or at least give users the option to select if they want page numbers on the side margin or not.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I hope this means an update for the 505 is coming along soon to fix the side numbers and justification problem, or at least give users the option to select if they want page numbers on the side margin or not.
As the side numbers are not available at all on the 900, I think they (Adobe) have realised what a bad idea they were.

I can't see any incentive for them to roll out these changes to earlier models though. We can but hope. Justification would be great, especially as it can be controlled by the styles in each epub, so everyone would be happy - as we could easily format epubs to our own preference.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
As the side numbers are not available at all on the 900, I think they (Adobe) have realised what a bad idea they were.

I can't see any incentive for them to roll out these changes to earlier models though. We can but hope. Justification would be great, especially as it can be controlled by the styles in each epub, so everyone would be happy - as we could easily format epubs to our own preference.
It can't be that hard to roll out a firmware upgrade to fix this, is it?