Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Covers and Bookplates

OK .... so I've decided to start making my own custom book covers for sale (probably on eBay).

Also planning to sell custom bookplates for the Kindle -- with a four color gray scale 800x600 image of a nice bookplate customized (of course) with the purchaser's information (name, address and phone number).

I'm thinking of selling the two as a set, with the bookplates in several styles and fonts on a CD (so you can transfer it onto your Kindle), and the book covers in several colors.

The style will be very different from those made by FrankN ... something more along the line of what I think should have been done in neoprene (a book cover rather than a sleeve or case). And, by "what I think should have been done" please note that I am not talking about Frank's covers, which I think are WONDERFUL, I'm talking about what I think should have been done with the few neoprene cases that are out there.

Any thoughts on the idea?? Worth doing, or should I just make one for myself and shut up until someone suggests I make some more??

The image is a reduced sized version of one of the styles of bookplate I'm considering. I thought maybe a modern one, something art deco, heraldic, and spooky .... or maybe a big DON'T PANIC with the Hitchhiker on it.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 06-06-2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: wanted to make certain I didn't insult FrankN
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if you make one that says "DON'T PANIC" you're going to have a LOT of interest.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

I'm thinking something like this .... maybe different text and definitely refine the graphic ...

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You have to make it "in large friendly letters".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Hmmm .... how large and how friendly??
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
cover and bookplate

Well, all-righty then! I would definitely be interested n something other than what was sent with the kindle.....I don't even use it.....would love to see some samples of what you do.......and not to sound too ignorant.......where would the bookplate go? The back of the kindle is so embossed, how would it attach? Keep us posted on your progress.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, all-righty then! I would definitely be interested n something other than what was sent with the kindle.....I don't even use it.....would love to see some samples of what you do.......and not to sound too ignorant.......where would the bookplate go? The back of the kindle is so embossed, how would it attach? Keep us posted on your progress.......
The bookplate(s) would be screensavers that you could modify with your owner information. So, if you and your Kindle became separated, it would have your owner information on it.

I ordered the materials I will need to make my cover today. They should arrive in about two weeks. I've ordered enough to make (I think) about 9 covers ... black to start, but I should be able to make them in any one of about 16 colors if people like them and buy them.

The design I'm planning will have easy access to all buttons and ports (including the on/off and wireless on/off), won't block the menus or any keys, will hold the book quite securely without the need for any velcro attachments, will protect the screen when closed, but will not cause buttons to be pushed by the front cover, and will have a small storage pocket for additional SD cards. It will be made out of neoprene, so it will provide some limited water protection, and the seams will be sealed and sewn for double strength. The cover will be flexible enough to flip back for one handed reading, and will have a stiff insert (which can be left in or removed) to allow the reader to clip on a book light. I think the insert will be plexyglass. The book cover will close with a polypro webbing strap that will run from the back to the front with a velcro closure. I'm going to see if I can rig that so it also serves to hold the front cover back when the reader wishes to keep it in that position. I am debating as to whether or not I should add a penholder to one side.

Now that I have my Kindle (DID I REMEMBER TO MENTION THAT MY KINDLE CAME TODAY????), I'm going to start working on my pattern.

I want this cover to have everything I want in a cover for my own Kindle. I want it to protect the Kindle, but not prevent me from using it as I would like. I don't want to have to take it off or mess with it to turn it on and off. I don't want it to stain my Kindle. I want it to look good and feel good in my hands (the grip factor).

I've got the design fairly well set in my brain. I just need my materials so I can get started. These are the colors I will be able to make covers ...

Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reserve a red one for me....one thing I saw on another cover, was a slot in the empty side to hold a small notepad? Or how about multiple slots to hold credit cards/id's? Just thinking out loud here..
Old 06-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Save time, money, and hassle -- make it electronic delivery rather than CD. If they want the CD it is an extra charge beyond the bookplate/screen saver price.

Be careful with the graphic for "don't Panic" -- you need to stay away from copyright problems

Edit: I have "The Pouch" for my Sony and it is made from Forest Green neoprene and ripstop nylon. It has protected the Reader for over a year and still looks great.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Save time, money, and hassle -- make it electronic delivery rather than CD. If they want the CD it is an extra charge beyond the bookplate/screen saver price.

Be careful with the graphic for "don't Panic" -- you need to stay away from copyright problems

Edit: I have "The Pouch" for my Sony and it is made from Forest Green neoprene and ripstop nylon. It has protected the Reader for over a year and still looks great.
I thought about that too. I'll have to draw a character who looks less like the one in the media.

Eh .... a CD is cheap, and I thought I would just throw in a collection with the book covers. Something like that. Rather than try to sell them separately. Especially since there are so many nice free ones available ...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Reserve a red one for me....one thing I saw on another cover, was a slot in the empty side to hold a small notepad? Or how about multiple slots to hold credit cards/id's? Just thinking out loud here..
I was thinking of that ... and possibly on some models, a reading glasses sleve for the front cover ... not facing the screen, of course, but on the front of the front cover.

I don't want to make the thing too complex, because then it becomes more of a purse than a book cover. However, I am certain to try several things as I experiment.

I'm sure to make at least one red one for me, so without a doubt, I'll be purchasing some red materials.

I do hope this goes well. I've done a lot of sewing, but I've never worked with neoprene before.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

@RWood .... you know what else I was thinking?? Rather than bother with the character, or even a bookplate, I might just get my silkscreen kit out and silk screen "DON'T PANIC" in nice large and friendly letters on the covers (for a dollar extra or something).
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Don't Panic......

See that silkscreen Idea sounds great!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
See that silkscreen Idea sounds great!
And, white silkscreen would look really good on most of the neoprene colors. Although, a blue DON'T PANIC on black would match my DON'T PANIC ballcap (which is black with blue lettering ... and which I used to wear when I did search and rescue).
Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you could make a neoprene cover with a see through front to make the Kindle water resistant (not waterproof), I'd be all over it. The buttons would still have to be click-able.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote