Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #241
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
...Possibly, although I'm a little skeptical, as Apple doesn't manufacture its own screens, and there are a lot of tablets with more resolution than 150 ppi.
If they made this claim WRT the ipad 3 or 4, it's not very likely, as Apple's screens are top notch *and* no reviews I have read have suggested anything like this. It may be true wrt the Ipad 1 or 2, of course.
I've got quite a few tablets to compare.
For example Kindle Fire HD, nook HD, iPad 3 and Surface RT.
nook HD slightly outshines Fire HD, so does iPad 3 vs. Surface RT.
But, in my opinion, the differences are less than for example from DVD to Blue-Ray. If you directly compare, next to each other, the differences are obvious enough. But on its own, each is more than adequate.
Same happened to me, when switching from iPad 2 to iPad 3. I didn't see, what's so special about iPad 3, as I had been more than fine with iPad 2 already. But when comparing iPhone apps on both, it was astonishing.
Anyway...
I find Surface RT great for watching movies. Love the widescreen form factor, love the saturation (way more "natural" than Samsung units for example).
And quite frankly: I don't see the benefit of such high resolutions.
I've had a Toshiba notebook in 2002, with a (back then) spectacular resolution. Result: For office apps I simply had to switch to a lower res, text was too small to work adequately.
Resolution may be nice for games and multimedia. But do I need more than the resolution of Surface RT for business applications?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #242
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
And quite frankly: I don't see the benefit of such high resolutions.
I've had a Toshiba notebook in 2002, with a (back then) spectacular resolution. Result: For office apps I simply had to switch to a lower res, text was too small to work adequately.
Resolution may be nice for games and multimedia. But do I need more than the resolution of Surface RT for business applications?
Well, the 2002 comparison isn't quite apt - that was an example of using greater resolution to put more things (but smaller) on the screen; tablet HD displays tend to use greater resolution to show the same items on the screen at the same size, but more clearly.

But whether this matters for business...probably not much. At my work, I most commonly use my iPad for sharing PDFs and other documents during meetings. While the iPad 3 is sharper than the 2, the 2 would be perfectly reasonable to use if that's what I happened to have with me. But it's not like there's *no* benefit to having an HD screen.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #243
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Uh, Windows has long had the ability to change screen metrics.
If text seems too small on a high-resolution display, instead of switching to a lower resolution you can change the display metrics to a higher dpi setting.
On Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
Quote:
To increase or decrease the size of objects and text on your screen
Open Display in Control Panel.

On the Settings tab, click Advanced.

On the General tab, in the DPI setting list, click the dots per inch (dpi) setting you want to use.

If you choose Other in the DPI setting list, you can set custom options in the Custom DPI Setting dialog box either by selecting one of the percentage options in the drop-down list or by clicking on the ruler and dragging the pointer to specify a setting.

Restart your computer when prompted.
In Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/w...ger-or-smaller

Quote:

Windows gives you three preset choices (100%, 125%, or 150%) for making text, icons, and other items on your screen larger than normal size. This is the quickest and simplest way to change their size. But if you prefer, you can change their size to any number between 100% and 500% of normal size using the custom dots per inch (DPI) scale.
Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.

Click Set custom text size (DPI) in the left pane.

Click the scale (ruler), drag the setting to whatever percentage size increase you want (100%-500%), and then click OK. (If you prefer, you can type a number between 100 and 500 in the box next to Scale to this percentage of normal size, and then click OK.)

On the Display screen, click Apply.

To see the change, close all of your programs and then log off of Windows. This change will take effect the next time you log on.
I haven't moved to Win 8 yet, but I'd be surprised if you can't do it there, too.

Unlike other operating systems that are hardwired for specific resolutions or screen metrics (aka DPI), Windows has fully resizable and customizable graphics.
It's one of the benefits of a full-power OS; it lets you fully exploit whatever hardware you can afford.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #244
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Of course you can switch resolution -- though you shouldn't go lower than the minimum required for "snapping" apps. My guess is that the lower resolution for Windows RT is simply a compromise to keep the device running more smoothly and make it smaller (no need for a bigger battery) -- Apple took the same road for the Mini. But for now I really don't have any problems with the display. Looks more than good enough to me. For reading text I prefer to use e-ink, anyway.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #245
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Of course you can switch resolution --
What about changing display metrics in RT?
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #246
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What about changing display metrics in RT?
Windows RT has all the same display settings that regular Windows has. You have the exact same settings window --- adjust resolution, adjust brightness, calibrate color, change display settings, adjust cleartype text. You can also custom size fonts.

It is, after all still a real Windows. Some settings are not that easily accessible, like firewall settings. But Powershell and Netshell still work, you can run scripts to configure the firewall.

Last edited by HansTWN; 12-02-2012 at 11:28 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #247
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Windows RT has all the same display settings that regular Windows has. You have the exact same settings window --- adjust resolution, adjust brightness, calibrate color, change display settings, adjust cleartype text. You can also custom size fonts.

It is, after all still a real Windows. Some settings are not that easily accessible, like firewall settings. But Powershell and Netshell still work, you can run scripts to configure the firewall.
Then high resolutions screens should have no downside beyond needing a beefier GPU to move the pixels around and by current standards all mainstream tablets should have that kind of graphics capacity anyway.

You may need to dig a bit to set things up *your* way but the ability to set your system up anyway you like it is one of Windows' strengths.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #248
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If text seems too small on a high-resolution display, instead of switching to a lower resolution you can change the display metrics to a higher dpi setting.
On Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
I've done so on my Toshiba Libretto, Windows 7.
But result is the very same: You have a high resolution, but text is too small for your display size. Whatever way you solve it, eventually you don't have any advantage of the high resolution. Some may say, text looks sharper. But does this really matter (or is it even obvious) if the text is big enough?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #249
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
That's what I do. Unfortunately, some programs don't adjust to higher dpi correctly and I end up with messed up occasionally unusable screens.

At least it's an option. Do OSX and Linux have same?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #250
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
At least it's an option. Do OSX and Linux have same?
Linux probably has a settings file you edit to set the screen metrics. Might need to rebuild X-Windows or the kernel but that is a triviality for your typical LINUX user.

OS-X I dunno; MacOS I do know was hardwired to a fixed 72dpi from day one so that 1 pixel would equal 1pt, pretty much the same as the early Epson dot-matrix printers.

On Windows *some* applications have at times insisted on using the old Win2x bit-mapped fonts for display or hardwired their apps to ignore the global windows setting (a no-no, but it's the price of flexibility: developers are free to ignore good coding practices). It's not as if MS could keep those apps off windows...
Now, however, they can at least keep them out of the Windows Store.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #251
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've done so on my Toshiba Libretto, Windows 7.
But result is the very same: You have a high resolution, but text is too small for your display size. Whatever way you solve it, eventually you don't have any advantage of the high resolution. Some may say, text looks sharper. But does this really matter (or is it even obvious) if the text is big enough?
Yes, it's very obvious. Compare the same PDF file displayed on an iPad 2 and an iPad 3. Same sized text, but different screen resolutions. The difference in readability is dramatic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #252
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Ok... another quick feedback about Surface usage (I got mine yesterday, yay!). I will most likely update it later.

Pros:
-Dude! It has Handwriting recognition!
-Touch cover is awesome
-Standalone. No need to synch anything (there's USB, network connection, etc.) In fact, there is no cable to connect it to your computer at all!

"Biased" Cons (because I'm moving from an iPad 1):
-The format is really weird! Feels like a baseball bat on portrait
-It doesn't weight more but because of the shape the center of gravity is strongly shifted! In the ipad is in the centre no matter if it's on portrait or landscape, in the Surface... it's on the ends on portrait. Meaning, ... it's difficult to hold it on one end, you have to hold it straight in the middle (unless you do weight lifting with your fingertips).

All in all, ... o_O... O_o I dunno. Feature, design and capabilities blow the ipads out of the water (bye, bye Itunes!). The response on some apps was a little bit laggy though (here the lightweigth iOS wins by a hair, but to be honest I was opening and closing apps like crazy XD).

Format... weeeird, really weird. If you like landscape mode, this is your new god.

EDIT: it seems that handling it as tablett in Portrait is easier without the touch Cover O_o

Last edited by darknessangel; 12-05-2012 at 05:45 PM.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #253
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Ok... another quick feedback about Surface usage (I got mine yesterday, yay!). I will most likely update it later.

Pros:
-Dude! It has Handwriting recognition!
-Touch cover is awesome
-Standalone. No need to synch anything (there's USB, network connection, etc.) In fact, there is no cable to connect it to your computer at all!

"Biased" Cons (because I'm moving from an iPad 1):
-The format is really weird! Feels like a baseball bat on portrait
-It doesn't weight more but because of the shape the center of gravity is strongly shifted! In the ipad is in the centre no matter if it's on portrait or landscape, in the Surface... it's on the ends on portrait. Meaning, ... it's difficult to hold it on one end, you have to hold it straight in the middle (unless you do weight lifting with your fingertips).

All in all, ... o_O... O_o I dunno. Feature, design and capabilities blow the ipads out of the water (bye, bye Itunes!). The response on some apps was a little bit laggy though (here the lightweigth iOS wins by a hair, but to be honest I was opening and closing apps like crazy XD).

Format... weeeird, really weird. If you like landscape mode, this is your new god.
Funny...
Different tastes...
I love it in portrait mode.
It's great in landscape mode for browsing the web and such.
But I love reading on it in portrait mode. I've always preferred the 16:9 (or similar) widescreen over the 4:3 (or similar) rectangular format. Loved Sony 900 for that...
Of course, the extreme length (in portrait) means an enormously long lever and isn't as comfortable to hold as, let's say, 7" Kindle Fire HD.
But actually I find it easier to hold than iPad 3. I don't like the curved edges on iPad 2 and 3, they kind of "cut" in your palm after some time. Whereas Surface, with its orthogonally shaped housing is less "painful" to your palms.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #254
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Funny...
Different tastes...
I love it in portrait mode.
It's great in landscape mode for browsing the web and such.
But I love reading on it in portrait mode. I've always preferred the 16:9 (or similar) widescreen over the 4:3 (or similar) rectangular format. Loved Sony 900 for that...
Of course, the extreme length (in portrait) means an enormously long lever and isn't as comfortable to hold as, let's say, 7" Kindle Fire HD.
But actually I find it easier to hold than iPad 3. I don't like the curved edges on iPad 2 and 3, they kind of "cut" in your palm after some time. Whereas Surface, with its orthogonally shaped housing is less "painful" to your palms.
Hey, man... as I said, I'm transitioning. If you love to read on it in portrait mode, I hope I get to love it too. It was some money dumped on it after all =P And I'm fed up with all the crashes of the apps (especially while surfing) in my ipad 1.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #255
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
I don't like the curved edges on iPad 2 and 3, they kind of "cut" in your palm after some time. Whereas Surface, with its orthogonally shaped housing is less "painful" to your palms.
I don't really mind the curved edges per se, but a downside of making things thinner is that they seem heavier than they are because you can't really get a good grip; this is compounded by the fact that you need to hold the device near the edge so you don't cover up the screen. The smart cover folded into the triangular "grip" configuration helps a lot with this on my iPad...but I wouldn't want to hold it one handed like that while riding on the subway.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote