Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
Chubulor
Edge User

Notion Ink ADAM: iPad Wounder, Edge Killer?

Possible bad news for the Edge: Rumors of the Adam's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

A few weeks ago, the furtive Indian startup Notion Ink finally released "final" specs for its Adam tablet, and they were pretty formidable: true GPS, Pixel Qi screen and 3G on some models, Android 2.2 out of the box, and most of all the relatively powerful NVIDIA Tegra2 chip powering it. Yesterday they leaked a bombshell to Slashgear: the prices will range from $399 (for LCD screen with wifi only) to $498 (for PixelQi with 3G)...so the high end ADAM will cost the same as the cheapest Edge and the iPad (which of course has only an LCD and wifi). They claim that they'll be able to ship starting sometime between November and January depending on how quickly FCC certifies their compliance with the relevant regulations.

There's been discussion on various threads about the ADAM here, but I was curious to see what other people thought. As someone who bought the Edge because he felt sure the ADAM was turning into vaporware, I'm back to believing it actually is going to be released.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
mrspaceman
Edge User

Well, I was thinking of waiting for the Adam, but then I realised that although the PixelQi screen looks like an e-ink screen, it will probably still be refreshing at 60-70Hz (or so).

One reason I like e-ink screens is that they are So easy on the eyes while reading a book (rather like paper), so I then decided that I had to have an e-ink for reading (which the eDGe has), but I also wanted an android device with an LCD for surfing the web and looking at colour PDF's (oh, the eDGe has that too).

There are a number of dual LCD tablets coming out, but all of them will be hard on the eyes if your just trying to read a book.

so for me there was no comparision, it was eDGe or seperate devices, and now I have one, I'm glad I choose the eDGe.

andy.

Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
shinkamui
Edge User

I like the Adam, and will be picking one up if it ever materializes in the US (PixelQI with wifi only I hope). My eDGe will find plenty of use in my house with or without an adam in the mix. If the Pixel QI proposed eDGe mod is proven successful before hand, however, goodbye adam. I look forward to seeing which materializes first though, 2.2 on the edge or the Adam. Any software built into the Adam fw will quickly be ripped for our use regardless of multitouch features. On the second topic brought up by the OP, I think the adam could easily be an ipad killer. The iPad is already somewhat worthless as anything more than a web slate with a huge application base. The android application market will determine which "lite" os wins the overall war, though the Adam easily has better specs and technology and at a proposed price point that could certainly hurt the iPad. iSheep however will continue to buy any package apple puts out even if the inner packaging is coal filled.

Last edited by shinkamui; 08-13-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
fgruber
Edge User

also as far as I know the Adam will not have an active digitizer so forget about note taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
Well, I was thinking of waiting for the Adam, but then I realised that although the PixelQi screen looks like an e-ink screen, it will probably still be refreshing at 60-70Hz (or so).

One reason I like e-ink screens is that they are So easy on the eyes while reading a book (rather like paper), so I then decided that I had to have an e-ink for reading (which the eDGe has), but I also wanted an android device with an LCD for surfing the web and looking at colour PDF's (oh, the eDGe has that too).

There are a number of dual LCD tablets coming out, but all of them will be hard on the eyes if your just trying to read a book.

so for me there was no comparision, it was eDGe or seperate devices, and now I have one, I'm glad I choose the eDGe.

andy.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
shinkamui
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
To suggest that the ADAM will kill the eDGe is to fail to understand the target markets of the two devices.
/me agrees.

Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
MichaelV
Edge User

they are 2 different animals. pixel qi in not e-ink. still hurts on the eye... e-ink is like ink.
but edge is pretty bulky and not very stylish I will say, it is fine for academic word. still a lot of improvements. for beach reading is nook for sure. we had 2 edges sold one and got 2 nooks instead. my wife is very happy with the nook, i will buy an adam. for me will be adam and nook most of the time, sometimes the edge. my wife is nook and edge for most of the times. everybody will be happy.

Last edited by MichaelV; 08-13-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
keng2000
Edge User

I still want ADAM as Entertainment PAD. and keep EE for Note taking device...

Hope fully new EE will have an Qi display and Color E-Ink with 3G.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
I still want ADAM as Entertainment PAD. and keep EE for Note taking device...

Hope fully new EE will have an Qi display and Color E-Ink with 3G.
I am also looking forward to the Adam for pure fun, I hope the "leaked" price points are a reality and it really launches this time. I have a nook for beach and park and my edge is for school and travel. Plus I look forward to an improved edge.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
MichaelV
Edge User

Adam will be a good laptop replacement with a stand and outside keyboard. also will be fast and multimedia driven with the new tegra chip. It will also easily run games and multimedia applications. it will be a success.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
keng2000
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
I am also looking forward to the Adam for pure fun, I hope the "leaked" price points are a reality and it really launches this time. I have a nook for beach and park and my edge is for school and travel. Plus I look forward to an improved edge.
If you read the Notion Ink Blog, inception topic release the estimated price already would be 4 variants (LCD vs Oi screen, Wifi vs 3G) about $399 to $498

Source: http://notionink.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/inception/
unofficial: http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...-more-1297402/

Old 08-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
StevenP
Edge User

The devices that interest me outside the Edge are Adam and Kno, but personally, I can't justify the extra purchases if the Edge does everything I need. Still, I do love technology, though.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:37 AM   #12
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
To suggest that the ADAM will kill the eDGe is to fail to understand the target markets of the two devices.
Perhaps "killer" was too strong a word, but it will certainly shrink the Edge's appeal outside of the small niche market who need the annotation capabilities if it comes out. And that niche is significantly smaller than academia in general. People who are looking for ereader capabilities and netbook capabilities in a single device are going to have an option that has much better performance as a netbook and only slightly weaker performance as an ereader, at a price $50 less.

The active digitizer difference is a notable one, but for those who are just writing on the margins of a document that's probably not a big deal as the back of your hand won't be touching the screen as you write. As for note-taking, I'm still not convinced the Edge is better for this task than a notebook and a pen/pencil, considering the smaller page size, lower resolution, and that you have to pay $30 to get a pen-sized stylus and who knows how long it will last before the tip wears out. I for one am still going to take notes with paper notebooks or a laptop with LyX if legibility is important.

Last edited by Chubulor; 08-15-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: removed the obscenities

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
MichaelV
Edge User

kno is a non go really. to big, non pixel qi, they will never get investment in that.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #14
kambrose
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelV View Post
kno is a non go really. to big, non pixel qi, they will never get investment in that.
It's also going to be ridiculously expensive and the battery life will suck big time.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #15
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
As for note-taking, I'm still not convinced the Edge is better for this task than a notebook and a pen/pencil, considering the smaller page size, lower resolution, and that you have to pay $30 to get a pen-sized stylus and who knows how long it will last before the tip wears out. .
Most of the pens come with several replacement tips if that is an issue and the convenience of notes that don't take up space is great.