Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #646
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Update: I don't know what happened, my battery dropped from 94% to 10% while I reboot!

I appreciate if anyone of you having any type of Kindle (I don't think it matters!?), run showlog and let me know if over sometime you get something like:

Quote:
150914:155844 cvm[2826]: I ContentCatalogImpl:ItemIterator:index=3,items=154, volumes=6,time=2:Catalog Iteration done
I guess it's for book indexing service!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 09-15-2015 at 12:09 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #647
patientvalue
patientvalue began at the beginning.

Device: none
i would like to view wikipedia and gmail again which i lost the ability to access.

so i need to hack my dxg 2.5.8. i am new to all this. is there a 'dummys' solution? ie plug dxg into a computer and download something or is that impossible due to amazon copyright..

i live in remote part of thailand & rely on my dxg daily eg writing this note

cheers
patientvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #648
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by patientvalue View Post
i would like to view wikipedia and gmail again which i lost the ability to access.

so i need to hack my dxg 2.5.8. i am new to all this. is there a 'dummys' solution? ie plug dxg into a computer and download something or is that impossible due to amazon copyright..

i live in remote part of thailand & rely on my dxg daily eg writing this note

cheers
You are not alone.
There are a lot of the "big screen" Kindles out there, in use every day.

This thread, combined with the "update from 3.2.1 to 3.4.2" thread are the steps that need to happen in your case.
And I raised the question in that other thread about a "one update" script or package.

So far the response to that suggestion is that it is too likely to violate Amazon's I.P. rights.

Translation:
It would have to be done within and posted from, a country that ignores intellectual property rights (China?).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #649
patientvalue
patientvalue began at the beginning.

Device: none
ok. thanks knc1. i dropped my kindle 3 sometime back and threw it away ...before learning about hacking so i will just have to live with my simple ebookreader
patientvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:01 AM   #650
Kaan88
Kaan88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3
3.3 update gives a checksum error for powerd. I'm on 3.2.1 already. Is there a way to get correct powerd binary?
Kaan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #651
mesuthaznedar
mesuthaznedar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG v.3.3, Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen.
slow wake up problem of DX after v.3.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
after more experimentation with 3.2.1 on my DXG i've discovered a good work around to the slow wake issue....

1. disable the screensaver via ;debugOn ~disableScreensaver
[this never used to work on DXG or Kindle 2 but does under 3.2.1]

2. manually power off by holding the power slider for 5 seconds...kindle will go blank

3. flick the slider to power on again...my kindle then comes to life after only 4 seconds!

as well as avoiding the slow wake ups, this setup gives me the advantage of having my kindle on all day when i need it without those annoying screensaver timeouts (i was using a hack to delay them anyway). i seldom have 3g on so battery drain is minimal. if i know i wont be using it for a few hours i just power it down fully.
Thank you max99 for the tip,

I tried disabling screensaver and then reversed back with screensavers enabled

~resumeScreensaver <Enter>
;debugOff <Enter>

and saw that my wake up from sleep issue has resolved. Before this, I was holding power slider twice sometimes three times to exit from screensaver. Now my Kindle DX 3.x experience is better

EDIT: Actually, the problem was not solved. It just solved short wake-ups for my Kindle Dx, waking from long sleeps as here peointed out takes approximately 14 seconds.

Last edited by mesuthaznedar; 02-14-2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Correction
mesuthaznedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #652
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuthaznedar View Post
Thank you max99 for the tip,
- - - - -
You are replying to a 4+ year old post.

The reason for the quick wake-up reported is that the CPU does not go to sleep.
Keep your DX on external power, even without using the 3G your battery will run down much faster than expected.

To confirm, you can check dmesg for the suspend and wake-up messages, with and without the ~disableScreenSaver feature.

Last edited by knc1; 01-24-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #653
mesuthaznedar
mesuthaznedar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG v.3.3, Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen.
I will check it Knc1, thanks.
mesuthaznedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #654
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuthaznedar View Post
I will check it Knc1, thanks.
Thanks for trying to confirm this information.
Post what you find, something may have changed in the past 4 years.

Plus, there is always a possiblity that what was observered then was caused by something done that wasn't mentioned.
This is, after all, a cross-breed firmware install done "by hand".
Old 02-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #655
zelfdoen
Kindle k3-dxg fan
zelfdoen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, K3KB
DXG on 3.1 got firmware update from Amazon meant for 2.5.8

I hope this is the correct thread to mention this, and it may be a known thing, but my DXG (non-US) on 3.1 indicated that an Amazon firmware update was available. So I clicked it to see what it would say and then stupid me wanted to move to Cancel but clicked on Yes or Ok or whatever it was that started the firmware update.

The update went fairly quickly, and it seemed no harm was done, but I found out that the Amazon Store is not accessible anymore. It says "your Kindle is unable to connect at this time". Http browsing to amazon.com and amazon.co.uk still works.

Firmware version says Kindle 3.1 (558700031)
Should I revert to 2.5.8 and then re-apply update to 3.1 ?

Last edited by zelfdoen; 02-13-2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: changed header
zelfdoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:49 AM   #656
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is no official update past 2.5.8 for the DX(G).

You may have gotten an update meant for the K3.
You will probably want to get to a known good state, then optionally use @newman's guide to going from 3.1 to 3.4.2
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #657
zelfdoen
Kindle k3-dxg fan

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. The route to 3.4.2 is still a bit intimidating for me, but my K3KB is on 3.4.2 and I see that Wikipedia on https is working there.

I assumed that Amazon maybe issued a small update that only replaced some certicates or protocol settings on the device. This to enable it to talk to the Amazon Kindle store which i presume will be moving to HTTPS/TLS after March 22, 2016.

Otherwise a see no sense in Amazon sending me mail about me having to connect to wireless and check for updates (my K3KB device already was on 3.4.2 for some time so they could have been more specific).

I am curious what will happen after March 22, 2016. I assume that all of us registered Kindle owners will have received that mysteriously uninformative warning mail from Amazon ?

Last edited by zelfdoen; 02-14-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fixed version number typo
Old 02-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #658
knc1
Going Viral

In my e-mail box -
They seem to be sending the notices in model order, a few days apart.

As if one e-mail, sent once, saying: "all models" wouldn't have been enough.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #659
zelfdoen
Kindle k3-dxg fan

So what do you make of it ? Some things are about to break I assume :-)
Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #660
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelfdoen View Post
So what do you make of it ? Some things are about to break I assume :-)
At least one of the new version pages says:
"collected bug fixes"

Which in the past has meant anything from a typo correction to a complete operating system replacement.

I.E: No information provided, just words written.