Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Had to format, need original folder names

Something corrupted the file system on my 350, and I had to let it reformat itself. I had the documents backed up, but after the formatting the reader didn't preserve all the original folders and subfolders. Could someone post a list of all the folder/directory names on the 350 "factory fresh?"
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I would imagine that they would be recreated upon your first sync. Not sure though. When I had my older PRS-505 I too formatted memory and it was never a problem.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
zogzog
zogzog began at the beginning.

Hi, please read the interesting sticky threads...
I've never tried it, but a full reset like explain here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...2F650.2F950.29
must restore the original file system (as a base copy live in the flash).

Zog
zogzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Riddip
Riddip began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350L
if you drag your first book to your reader in the reader libarry the folders are recreated.
Riddip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I reloaded my files through the Reader software. I always added them directly to the folders in the past, because of the software sucking.
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogzog View Post
Hi, please read the interesting sticky threads...
I've never tried it, but a full reset like explain here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...2F650.2F950.29
must restore the original file system (as a base copy live in the flash).

Zog
Has anyone tried this who can confirm if the hard reset procedure also resets the original preloaded books back too?
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I do not think a hard reset will put back the original pre-loaded books.

If anyone needs copies of the original books, I have them backed up on my computer.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I do not think a hard reset will put back the original pre-loaded books.

If anyone needs copies of the original books, I have them backed up on my computer.
I actually have the original books on my reader still, I was more wondering because I see a lot of readers at retail locations with their books deleted. Would be a nice act to restore them to demonstratable condition.

Also, Sony has stopped supplying the manual in physical form (makes sense if your product is an ebook after all). I would imagine that a full hard system restore should restore the manual too.

Can someone who has done a hard reset please verify?
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
zogzog
zogzog began at the beginning.

Hi,
The reader Contain a flash partition with all the OTB stuff (pictures, ebooks, manuals, ..)
obviously to restore itself in some ways.
That's flash block mtd14 "preload" (64MB)...
if someone need a copy (as dump or uncompressed) just ask.

Zogzog.
zogzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

I'm piggybacking this on my original question. I got my folders back, but now, after every time I connect the reader to the computer (but not using Calibre or the Sony software-- purely drag-and-drop transfers) it has to regenerate all of the book and image thumbnails. Any clues?