Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Having a really hard time

Hi all,

I have a Sony PRS-505 that I just got last week. I am loving it so far, but I'm having a hard time trying to format/convert files and downloading the necessary software to do so. I downloaded Calibre and that seems to be working fine. This is where I'm getting stuck. I've tried to download Python countless times and when I try to open it, I get an error message saying "This Installation Package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package." And then, I know there are steps once this is downloaded (I'm looking for how to convert mobi, microsoft reader, and ereader to lrf files), and I also know these steps cannot be discussed openly on this forum. So, I'm hoping someone will be able to send me a message privately and help me. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Are you using this link?

http://python.org/ftp/python/2.6.1/python-2.6.1.msi

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Uh, forgive my obtuseness but why do you need to download and install Python separately?

You only need Python if you want to compile Calibre yourself. If all you need are the conversion tools, then you can do it from within Calibre or you can use the command line executables.

Also, conversion of formats can be discussed on the forum. I believe it's only discussion of DRM removal that is frowned upon.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-01-2009 at 05:49 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Sorry I probably explained it wrong.

Calibre is not a problem. I have that downloaded already.

I was told that I had to download python in order to remove the DRM. I'm having a really hard time downloading python. I get an error message saying its an invalid file. For now, honestly I've given up. But I would like to figure this out at some point.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
I'm having a really hard time downloading python. I get an error message saying its an invalid file. For now, honestly I've given up. But I would like to figure this out at some point.
When is it saying it is "invalid"? When you are downloading it, or when you are trying to install it. You are using a Windows XP/Vista PC right?

Did you use the link I provided above?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
I've tried to download Python countless times and when I try to open it, I get an error message saying "This Installation Package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package."
It might be a corrupted download.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
kelly1010
Book Addict!

It says that error message after I download it, after the icon appears on the desktop, when I click on the icon.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
What exactly are you downloading & what operating system are you running. If OS=Windows & the link isn't the one Bob posted above, try using that link.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote