Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #31
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time

Book 1 has been read at least 14 times
Book 2 at least 13 times
Book 3 at least 12 times

---

you get the idea

each new book prompted a complete read thru of the series as new details emerged. there's been nothing else out there before, or since that's inspired that level of love and interest in plot
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #32
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time

Book 1 has been read at least 14 times
Book 2 at least 13 times
Book 3 at least 12 times

---

you get the idea

each new book prompted a complete read thru of the series as new details emerged. there's been nothing else out there before, or since that's inspired that level of love and interest in plot
Same here. Still haven't managed to finish the series though.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #33
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
It seems like I re-read everything. Right now I am going through most of Herman Wouk's pre- and World War II stuff again. Recently I re-read a lot of Jessamyn West. And Norah Lofts (mostly her House at Old Vine series), and Mary Stewart's Merlin series, and some scattered James Michener. Before that was all of Robert Heinlein for the umpteenth time, including the juveniles. And Spider Robinson; he makes me chortle. Harry Potter of course. The Ink World series. Joe Haldeman's sf. Greg Bear. Pohl's Gateway series. Daphne Du Maurier. Rumer Godden, she was wonderful. My god, Frank Herbert's Dune books!!! (eight times at least!)

Well, when I like an author, I just can't let go. I am promiscuous, but faithful...
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #34
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I re-read favourites regularly. The authors most likely to be re-read are:
  • Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, separately and together. I re-read their Liaden Universe books (all 19 or 20 of them!) just about yearly.
  • C.J. Cherryh, the Foreigner books, usually just the last half dozen before a new one comes out.
  • Wen Spencer, whenever I can come up with a good excuse, which doesn't take much!
  • Nathan Lowell, whenever I want to just relax and enjoy a good _story_. His books were mostly oral originally, and they have that character throughout.
  • Elizabeth Moon, though not all of her later books. I buy them all, but seem to be re-reading only her older books.
  • Lois McMaster Bujold - Vorkosiverse and some of her fantasy.
  • Georgette Heyer - once every dozen years or so. I tend to re-read one every six months or so, and parse them out to savour.
  • Patrick O'Brian, his Aubrey/Maturin series is a favourite, especially as audio books read by Patrick Tull.
  • David Weber, though I find myself skimming the interminable military details, but still loving the stories.
  • Kerry Greenwood, whose Phryne Fisher books are wonderfully entertaining even after I know how it all ends.

Other books or series by authors whose overall works I might not include here, such as John Ringo, whose Empire of Man series co-written with David Weber, is a definite periodic re-read. But not the rest

Last edited by CRussel; 06-11-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:42 PM   #35
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My most regular re-reads correspond to books popular on this thread already: Lord of the Rings, The Gap Series, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Harry Potter, pretty much everything by Terry Pratchett, selected Stephen King novels, most Robert Goddard, ditto Richard North Patterson, ditto Isaac Asimov, selected Arthur C. Clarke. There isn't much that I've enjoyed that I won't come back to occasionally, just to experience it again.

At the moment I'm re-reading our Agatha Christie collection. I must have read most of them three of four times now. It's more than ten years since my last time through, and I'd forgotten what a wonderful sense of humour she had.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:06 AM   #36
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
When Joseph brought the Jews into Egypt during their famine, about 250 years before Amentohep, the bible tells us that God was the strongest, meanest, toughest and most important God but it never ever says or even hints that he's the only God. That idea was first thought of by Amentohep.
Perhaps we have different "bibles" - but the one I read does indeed say, over and over again, that there is no other god but God. Not expecting the bible's own words establish the credibility of those same words....but "it's in there" to borrow from the old Ragu commercials.

Of that I'm certain. What I'm fairly certain of is there being no currently known evidence outside of the Jewish scriptures for the Jews ever being in Egypt. I think the evidence just hasn't been found. But, I'm quite interested to learn what materials you book pulls from, or is it just a work of fiction?

It is also useful to note that there was no biblical record prior to Moses. He wrote all of the accounts from creation through the first five books.

And, on topic, a should have added the Bible as one of my rereads. Every so often I embark on a "read the bible through in a year" efforts. This is one of those years for me.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:33 AM   #37
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Anthem- Rand
We the Living- Rand
Walden Two- Skinner
The Woman in the Dunes- Abe
We- Zamyatin
A Wild Sheep Chase- Murakami
Barn Burning- Murakami
Several different books of Haiku both contemporary and traditional
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:49 AM   #38
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It is also useful to note that there was no biblical record prior to Moses. He wrote all of the accounts from creation through the first five books.
Just a thought in passing. As the Dead Sea Scrolls (and fragments thereof) continue to be translated they add to and fill out the understanding of the Tanakh (and hopefully the Christian Old Testament.).
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #39
kenmac999
kenmac999 began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader running on Android phone(s), Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7
I love re-reading a series when a new book comes out or when it's been long enough for me remember reading it but not details. Some of my favorite re-reads are

Dresden file series
Codex Alera series
all of the series by Clive Cussler
Sherlock Holmes series of stories (probably the most re-read)
the original Hardy Boys series (from my continuing childhood)
The Rabbi series of books by Harry Kemelman (trying to find in ebook)
various Star Trek books, especially the A Time To... series
Asimov's Foundation series & other titles
Dragon Riders of Pern series
Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit
A Stranger in a Strange Land
Starship Troopers
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Steven Levy

Last edited by kenmac999; 06-12-2016 at 11:59 AM.
kenmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote