Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2019, 04:40 AM   #1
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Main Character with Epilepsy

I'm starting a novel in which the main character suffers from epilepsy, apparently makes a complete recovery, but then comes down with it again.

Can anyone recommend sources to find out about this condition? I'm particularly interested in the day-to-day experience of living with it.

The novel's set in the 1940s.

Thank you

Nabeel
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:50 AM   #2
Cootey
Addict
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE LE, Kindle Paperwhite 7, iPad Air, iPhone Xs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
I'm starting a novel in which the main character suffers from epilepsy, apparently makes a complete recovery, but then comes down with it again.

Can anyone recommend sources to find out about this condition? I'm particularly interested in the day-to-day experience of living with it.

The novel's set in the 1940s.

Thank you

Nabeel

Epilepsy isn’t like the flu. You don’t come down with it. And you don’t make a complete recovery. You go into remission. Some children do grow out of epilepsy. My daughter is turning 18 this year and for the first time in her life she hasn’t had a seizure in months. We almost don’t know what to do with ourselves. However, we are cautious. My brother went into remission when he was a teenager, but began having seizures again in college. You never know.

Here’s a list of books you might find useful: https://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/g...t#.XXNvIyVMHDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:01 AM   #3
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank you Cootey: that's a very useful website.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
Thank you Cootey: that's a very useful website.
If I may--as I have a cousin whose entire life has been affected by epilepsy, in some not-great ways--I really feel that you need to learn a LOT MORE about epilepsy before you create a protagonist therewith.

I mean...yes, there are different types of epilepsy, but it's not, as Cootey says, like the flu. You don't "catch it" and you don't "come down with it." It's not contagious. I think you run the risk of seriously offending a lot of epileptics and their families if you don't do quite a bit more research before you continue writing about him/her.

Or, perhaps, there's another condition that might suit your plotline better? I mean...what made you think of epilepsy, in the first place, since, with all due respect, you're obviously not that familiar with it? What is it you need, illness- or condition-wise, to make your plot work? Maybe the good folks here at MR could help you find something that works better for you?

FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
skb
Addict
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Kindle Paperwhite
I agree with Hitch.

There used to be a wonderful community on Live Journal (maybe called...Little Details) where you could get "maladies to order". That is, you give the group the problems you want your character to suffer from (ranging from gunshot wounds to other physical problems like being unable to survive for X time period without meds etc) and the group would supply an illness or location of injury that would likely fit.
Having said that, they would encourage further research in detail. Because little details.

It was also handy for random suggestions for google-ness about living conditions for various locations & time periods. Some of the advice was ordinary, but some of the topics and replies were genuinely interesting (think TV Tropes for writers).
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I agree with Hitch.

There used to be a wonderful community on Live Journal (maybe called...Little Details) where you could get "maladies to order". That is, you give the group the problems you want your character to suffer from (ranging from gunshot wounds to other physical problems like being unable to survive for X time period without meds etc) and the group would supply an illness or location of injury that would likely fit.
Having said that, they would encourage further research in detail. Because little details.

It was also handy for random suggestions for google-ness about living conditions for various locations & time periods. Some of the advice was ordinary, but some of the topics and replies were genuinely interesting (think TV Tropes for writers).

Ooooh, what a wonderful-sounding group!!! I take it that they have gone the way of (most) long-form user communities, by and large, having been replaced with 140-character epic sagas full of info? (/sarcasm about Twitter and other short-form "communication" systems...)

Hitch
Old 09-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 3a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ooooh, what a wonderful-sounding group!!! I take it that they have gone the way of (most) long-form user communities, by and large, having been replaced with 140-character epic sagas full of info? (/sarcasm about Twitter and other short-form "communication" systems...)

Hitch
Maybe we could develop such a subforum! It might make the Writer's Corner a bit more active. I know something about type 2 diabetes, and deafness! (Well, that, and being too good looking. A bigger burden than you might think)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Maybe we could develop such a subforum! It might make the Writer's Corner a bit more active. I know something about type 2 diabetes, and deafness! (Well, that, and being too good looking. A bigger burden than you might think)
Yup, that's a tough one to bear through life, indeed.

You know, it's NOT a bad idea at all...Hmmm...mods? Whatcha think?

Hitch
Old 09-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #9
skb
Addict
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just checked and...it's still kicking.

If you're a bit sensitive, just be aware that there are quite a few "fanfiction" based questions, but even those have the potential to be interesting e.g. the latest post is asking about "good natured insults from Brooklyn", but the following post is, indeed, an "injury to order" question.

https://little-details.livejournal.com/

Edited to add: I should add that not all the answers are...er, answers. Sometimes it's just chat.

Last edited by skb; 09-10-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I just checked and...it's still kicking.

If you're a bit sensitive, just be aware that there are quite a few "fanfiction" based questions, but even those have the potential to be interesting e.g. the latest post is asking about "good natured insults from Brooklyn", but the following post is, indeed, an "injury to order" question.

https://little-details.livejournal.com/

Edited to add: I should add that not all the answers are...er, answers. Sometimes it's just chat.
I don't mean to be dense, but sensitive ...to what? Fanfiction?

Hitch
Old 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
skb
Addict

Yes, fanfiction is the red headed step child of the writing world and some people get sniffy about it.

I'll read bus tickets. I have to have something to read whenever I'm still. So I'm not "afraid" to read it. There is a lot of dross but honestly, I have read stuff that puts a lot of "real" published authors to shame. In fact, I've often wondered if those fanfic authors ever published professionally etc (I enjoyed their work so much that were "ripping yarns").