Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Anyway to change the "My Books" in Kobo to include the amount of pages?

Ok I used to read with Kindles up until 6 months ago until i got a Kobo Forma and find it is a much better device for tweaking with patches etc.

One thing i miss from Kindles is that on the list of books you have it gives you an idea of how long the book is with a series of dots. A long book will have lots of dots in a row, a small book will have not many dots.

On the Kobo on the 'My Books' list of books the only thing re size is the size of the book e.g. 638kb.

The only thing i have been able to do is use the Calibre plugin to change the book title to have the number of pages next to it - see attached. It is not ideal and quite ugly.

Is there any way of changing the information on the right hand side where it says the size so it can show the total pages?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	215
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	174071  
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:13 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Go to Settings> Page 2> Book Progress...tap the V Pick how you want to be shown your progress.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 AM   #3
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Go to Settings> Page 2> Book Progress...tap the V Pick how you want to be shown your progress.
No i don't want to know my reading progress.

I am after something which shows how long - probably in pages - each book is in the list in 'My Books'.

E.g.
War and Peace' - 1300 pages

Anna Karenina - 900 pages

Heart of Darkness - 200 pages
Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The only way to do it is to modify one of the pieces of metadata the device displays like you already have. I don't have the need to see it like this, so I put the word and page counts into the comments. Others tag it onto the author, or use the subtitle field. The latter is probably the neatest in the display.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
poczynek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The only way to do it is to modify one of the pieces of metadata the device displays like you already have. I don't have the need to see it like this, so I put the word and page counts into the comments. Others tag it onto the author, or use the subtitle field. The latter is probably the neatest in the display.
Ah thank you.

Which part is the subtitle field?

EDIT:

Have looked everywhere for 'subtitle' field in metadata - where is it located??

Last edited by poczynek; 10-09-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 03:12 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Ah thank you.

Which part is the subtitle field?

EDIT:

Have looked everywhere for 'subtitle' field in metadata - where is it located??
It's not located at any place. When you configure the metadata at the Kobo Utilities plugin, one of the fields is 'Subtitle'. You can configure it so number of pages goes there.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 AM   #7
poczynek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It's not located at any place. When you configure the metadata at the Kobo Utilities plugin, one of the fields is 'Subtitle'. You can configure it so number of pages goes there.
Yes i have just configured that now - was working through it the last few hours with trial and error.

Ok so i changed 'Subtitle' so it looks like the attached but the subtitle is not coming through on the 'my books' list?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboo.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	174075  
Old 10-09-2019, 04:11 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes i have just configured that now - was working through it the last few hours with trial and error.

Ok so i changed 'Subtitle' so it looks like the attached but the subtitle is not coming through on the 'my books' list?
I don't know if metadata are updated every time you connect to calibre or only when you send a book.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@poczynek I hope you are not using downloaded pag numbers but are using ADE page numbers. Downloaded page numbers are a poor indication of how long a book is given different pBook versions with different page numbers. use the ADE page numbers and you'll get a much truer representation of how long the book is compared to other books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:45 AM   #10
poczynek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@poczynek I hope you are not using downloaded pag numbers but are using ADE page numbers. Downloaded page numbers are a poor indication of how long a book is given different pBook versions with different page numbers. use the ADE page numbers and you'll get a much truer representation of how long the book is compared to other books.
Yes am syncing to goodreads and getting it from there.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #11
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Seems to be a problem. Don't know if with Calibre or the Kobo itself.

I let calculate page count by the plugin in Calibre and put this in the subtitle metadata (like described above). The I connect the Kobo with my PC, send ebooks to the device, then eject the device. In the library on the Kobo the page count is missing. I reconnect the Kobo to the PC (with Calibre still open) and eject it after recognition in Calibre. After that the page count is visible as subtitle in the Kobo library.

It's always like this, I always have to connect the device twice.
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

That is the "Update metadata in Device Library" function of the Kobo Utilities plugin. That works for the books currently selected. When you press OK, it will update the database on the device for the selected books. When you eject the device, you should see the page count on the books you selected. But, this is not automatic. You need to do it each time you want to update the page count. Or other metadata.

The automatic way is in the driver. This has options to update the metadata in the database on the device each time the device is connected. That includes an option to update the subtitle using a template in exactly the same way as above.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:27 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes am syncing to goodreads and getting it from there.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Goodreads page numbers are rather worthless for what you want. Take Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

309, 336, 400 are all different page numbers for different pBook versions. But if you use ADE page numbers, you get page number that tell you how long the eBook is compared to other eBooks. ADE page numbers are based on 1024 bytes of compress data. So you get to know that a book that has 309 page is shorter then a book that has 400 pages. But with the example, 309 and 400 pages not telling you how long the book is because they are different numbers for the exact same text.

So stop using pBook page numbers and move change that to ADE page numbers. It will also mean deleting all your unread eBooks on your Kobo and reinstalling them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightreader View Post
Seems to be a problem. Don't know if with Calibre or the Kobo itself.

I let calculate page count by the plugin in Calibre and put this in the subtitle metadata (like described above). The I connect the Kobo with my PC, send ebooks to the device, then eject the device. In the library on the Kobo the page count is missing. I reconnect the Kobo to the PC (with Calibre still open) and eject it after recognition in Calibre. After that the page count is visible as subtitle in the Kobo library.

It's always like this, I always have to connect the device twice.
And that is how it works. The plugin or driver are updating the database on the device with metadata that the device doesn't read from the book. It cannot do this until the books have been imported by the device.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Moderated by myself after ranting