Old 01-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
cmb1175
Enthusiast
cmb1175 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire 7th gen
calibre companion keeps deleting my books

Hi

i have 3 kindle fires and calibre companion keeps deleting my books,

it says the book file is missing, my books are on the main storage, at first they were in the kindle folder but to try to stop calibre companion from deleting my books i made a new folder called books and moved my books into it and now i feed new books into that folder but it still keeps deleting my books,

often i get half way through reading a book, stop to do something and when i go back to finish reading my book i get the book file is missing. i have tried sending ASW3 and MOBI formats but the books still get deleted with a message of the book file is missing

I have 3 kindle fires and its happening on all 3 of them. my latest kindle fire is the HD10 with 32gbs so space is not a problem. i bought this one in the hope that more space and ram would stop the problem but its still happening

any help with this would be great
thanks
carolyn
cmb1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC doesn't have any mechanism to delete book files without also deleting the book in the CC database.

I suspect that the Amazon reader app is moving the books, especially if the books are purchased from Amazon and still have DRM. If the delete happens all the time then you can check this by reading the book, "doing something else", then checking if the book file is still there using a file manager.

It is also possible that the reader app is renaming the books. You can check this the same way: look in the "books" folder to see if there are files that you didn't put there.

If you send me a CC debug log I might be able to provide more clues.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
cmb1175
Enthusiast

Hi

I wondered if it had something to do with Amazon reader app which was why i tried moving the books out of the kindle folder, its deleting books quite often. it also deletes books i have bought from bold strokes and with fanfiction i have downloaded from Archive of Our Own and other fanfiction sites

Where can i get the book, "doing something else" please I will download it and try it what happens

when it says the book file is missing I have looked in my book folder for the missing book and it has not been in there, i cant tell if its been renamed as i have around 1500 and a renamed book would be hard to spot if i didn't know what the title had been renamed

I am not sure how to send you a CC debug log if you could explain i will have a go

Thanks very much for you help, i love calibre companion, its brill

Carolyn

Last edited by cmb1175; 01-02-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the intent is to
A) Read a book
B) Do something else on the tablet
C) See if the book is still there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think the intent is to
A) Read a book
B) Do something else on the tablet
C) See if the book is still there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Yes, this is what I meant. Sorry about the confusion.
Advert
Old 01-03-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb1175 View Post
I am not sure how to send you a CC debug log if you could explain i will have a go
The process is clearly explained in the page linked to in the last line of post #2 above. Have you read it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #7
cmb1175
Enthusiast

sorry about the confusion, i understood what you meant but missed the link explaining how to send a CC debug log. i have just hopefully sent my debug log now
Old 01-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
cmb1175
Enthusiast

just had a go at sending a few more books to CC to if i could reproduce the error and its deleted another book, i have sent that CC debug log as well

Thanks
Carolyn
Old 01-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
cmb1175
Enthusiast

I have been having a go at reproducing the problem of CC "the book file is missing" in the hope the you can see whats happening to the missing books. now when i run "books with missing files" i have 7 books missing. the problem seems to come when i send new books to CC

I have sent the latest CC debug log

many thanks for your help
Old 01-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I can see it happen with the last debug log. The sequence I see:
  • 12:16:11: you sent a book.
  • 12:17:14: you asked CC to open the book in a reader app. CC opened the kindle reader. The book file existed.
  • 12:17:25: you again asked CC to read the book. The file still existed.
  • 12:18:09: you again asked CC to read the book. This time the book file was gone.
CC didn't delete anything between these events.

The one "unusual" thing I noticed was that you were still connected as a wireless device after you transferred the books and then read it. Does the problem happen if you disconnect before you attempt to read the book? It shouldn't matter, but then *something* is going wrong so I am grasping at straws.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
cmb1175
Enthusiast

i would normally disconnect and close calibre on the pc before opening the book. yes, the books are deleted when i am not connected, mostly i am not connected , its happening on all 3 of my kindles as well. i just sent a CC debug log from my other kindle.

I wondered if another app was causing the problem, so i did a factory reset on one of my kindles and put CC on and downloaded the books with no other apps apart from the ones kindles come with and it still lost books, its very odd, my Mom has an older kindle and i feed book to that and its never lost a book

Last edited by cmb1175; 01-03-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
More info would help:
what format are the lost books and where did you get them ?, and what folder have you told CC to place them in

when the book has been "lost" is it actually still there but in a different folder - if you search on device with a file explorer / does it appear in documents using the fire tablet docs app, or in books using the tablet's kindle app

i.e. are the book files being deleted or are they being moved ?

i assume you don't have paid for copies of these specific books in your amazon cloud, because if you did, there would be no need for CC to transfer - you'd simply read them via the books tab ?
and that no other restrictions apply to the books e.g. they are not time-expired loans

Also you could test again, but with CC removed from the test sequence i.e. connect tablet via USB, open it in windows, and copy the same books to the same folder that you were using with CC

then proceed to read, do other stuff, read again, like before.
for the 1st read, navigate to the tablet folder where you placed the book, with a file explorer and use open with to open it in kindle reader, if a double tap does not do that automatically.

Last edited by stumped; 01-04-2019 at 12:54 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:09 AM   #13
cmb1175
Enthusiast

Hi

the lost books are in AZW3 and MOBI. I normally use AZW3 but tried MOBI to see if that stopped books disappearing but they still got deleted.

the books used to be in the kindle folder but i moved them to a folder i made called books in the hope that might stop the problem but unfortunately it didn't

some of the books are in my amazon cloud, some of the books i bought direct from bold strokes in EPUB , a few i bought direct from the authors web sites, some i downloaded from Archive of Our Own in EPUB and caliber converted them into AZW3 and I also downloaded some from other fanfiction sites, a few i made my self in word.

i doesn't seem to matter what format the books are in or where i had then from, no type of book seem safe from disappearing. I have tried searching for the missing books with a file explorer but cant find them.

I will try sending the books via a usb cable and read it without CC

Thanks for you Help, its most appreciated
Old 01-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i suspect that amazon systems apps are auto-managing the books that you bought from amazon i.e. they are moving any such detected books to the " correct" folder. and maybe removing them to match amazon's record of what is cloud only and what is also on device
but amazon shoudl not mess with sideloaded books, unless it is doing some match on ASIN
as for folders. FYI on my own tablet [ fire HDX] i just downloaded a recent book from my cloud to see where it goes.
it does not go into the books folder, not into the obvious kindle folder either [ storage emulated 0 kindle is an empty folder]-books downloaded direct from amazon go to android...data... com.amazon.kindle... files.... and most are further obscured by the KFX format

but when I use CC to sideload azw it is configured to place those in the books folder and they then appear as books on the device. Actually I rarely do that, instead I convert to epub and put them into downloads cc folder, to read with moon+.

moving on - you say that both AZW and Mobi are prone to vanishing - what about epubs- not opened by the kindle app but read in a 3rd party reader app ?
you could - as yet another detective process / magic trick , add some epubs via calibre + CC ,put them in your downloads folder and see if you can make those vanish by any combination of actions. use whatever reader app for epub that you have to hand, or just download a free one to test with

as for deleted vs moved: try this. send one book like before via CC, and use file explorer to confirm that you at first see a book file in the expected folder, and note the file name. Now make it vanish, then use file explorer to search all tablet folders for that file name, or even for all files with today's date to check if it has moved or gone
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:30 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

This is very strange.

I see in the last debug log that two books disappeared while CC was downloading it from calibre. No interaction with a reader app was required. CC created the file, then failed to write to it because it went away.

Question: how is the kindle folder spelled: "Kindle" or "kindle"? I have a memory of it being "kindle", but CC is using "Kindle". The case being incorrect could cause problems. At one point it appears that the "Kindle" folder disappeared while CC thought it would still be there. This could be a consequence of a letter case problem.

Suggestion: in CC's formats and folders, instead of changing the default folder for an extension, change the general default. Reset the individual extensions to "Default". I don't know why this would change anything, but I am looking to simplify the setup.

To follow on with "stumped"'s suggestion: going through all the debug logs I see that the deleted books are .mobi and .azw3. The question: is there something in common with these books, such as all being purchased from Amazon and still having the Amazon DRM? I can post the titles if you don't mind people seeing them.