Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 12-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Nook Color, Kobo
Mixing cable and CC

I've had to give up using Calibre Companion. A shame, because when it worked it was really good.
It can take up to half an hour to connect CC to my Kindle Fire 8HD. I get the "could not connect" message over and over again. Some days it will connect, others it won't. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.
So when I couldn't connect, and I didn't have the time to troubleshoot (again!) I downloaded my books by connecting my Kindle to my computer with a cable, and transferring books from the main Calibre program that way.
But if you do that, CC can't detect them, can't see them. I have no idea why. My reader of choice Moon+ Pro, sees the books whichever way I connect, but if I use both CC and cabling on the same machine, it sees and imports two copies of the books. Which is beyond annoying.
CC connects on my phone fine. I have an Android phone, and there's no problem at all. Just with Kindle, so it's likely something in the Kindle settings.
But that makes things even more complicated, because of the status of said books. They can't "talk" to each other, so the read and not read lists get into a real mess. Occasionally I use the Content Server on the main Calibre program and connect via my browser to download books. That's fine, everybody communicates with everybody else.
I know that within the CC program, it can link up to the Content Server, but I have the same problem with that as I do with the wireless connection - it's temperamental and sometimes refuses to connect at all. And when it does, and I use that method to import books, I have the same problem as I did before.
No, it's not my firewall. And in any case, I have my firewall configured how I like it, and it makes no difference to any other program on my computer, once I've given permission, so I'm not prepared to drop the firewall every time I want to transfer a few books.
It seems to be either use CC on every portable device for everything, or don't use it at all. Will there ever be a chance that CC will work with other methods, like cabling or the Content Server on the main Calibre program, so that it doesn't duplicate books?
Pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
No. CC won't change to allow intermixing of transfers by cable and one of CC's connection types. The difficulty is the high complexity of correctly managing CC's metadata and format steering when books arrives in an uncontrolled fashion. I am not going to take on that problem.

As for why the Fire sometimes doesn't connect: I don't know. Because it is intermittent I suspect something related to wireless band steering (devices connecting on different WiFi bands). It also could be related to interference from nearby WiFi hubs that the phone can handle but the Fire cannot.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert