Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA
Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 2 XL, Basic Kindle
Wierd things connecting to Dropbox

I've been using CC for a long time with no problems. I always connect to my Calibre library on Dropbox, and it has always connected directly. But just now, when I pressed "connect", it had me log on to Dropbox. I entered my login info, and then I got a strange dialog that seems to be from or related to Arkose Labs. It spoke a number, asking me to enter that number.

I didn't know what it was, so I dismissed it, and tried logging in using Google instead. But that didn't work, because after the usual confirmation, it asked me for a number on "the other screen", but there was no "other screen" available. I tried looking for it, but that caused it to cancel.

Then I tried the first method again, after confirming I could log in to Dropbox from the Dropbox app normally, which I could. This time, I again got the Arkose Labs prompt, but it asked me to do something to prove I was human, which I did, and then CC connected.

My question is whether this is a CC validation, or Dropbox. I Googled, but couldn't find anything for either connected to Arkose Labs.
Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I believe that it is "dropbox"; tho I don't use it.

I've encountered verification that I'm "not a robot" at web sites doing about the same thing. One has the logger verify the pics with a mail box from about 9 pics; some verification is to select the pics that has a car; some pics with roads; others with "bill board"; etc.

The verification is for downloading something or other to slow down robo calls for stuff; sound like robo calls are getting worst not just with robo phone calls.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just tried it and got the same audio "captcha". Some googling tells me that dropbox is now using captchas, sometimes audio sometimes images.

FWIW: I very much dislike the damn things. Fuzzy pictures that may or may not have a piece of a vehicle. Bah.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA
Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I just tried it and got the same audio "captcha". Some googling tells me that dropbox is now using captchas, sometimes audio sometimes images.

FWIW: I very much dislike the damn things. Fuzzy pictures that may or may not have a piece of a vehicle. Bah.
Thanks, same here. Some of those fuzzy letters they use are almost impossible for me to get right without several attempts.

This one, though, was so different that it was not even obvious where it came from. Having some unknown company's logo (Arkose Labs) and nothing from Dropbox doesn't make for a warm, fuzzy feeling.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
I believe that it is "dropbox"; tho I don't use it.

I've encountered verification that I'm "not a robot" at web sites doing about the same thing. One has the logger verify the pics with a mail box from about 9 pics; some verification is to select the pics that has a car; some pics with roads; others with "bill board"; etc.

The verification is for downloading something or other to slow down robo calls for stuff; sound like robo calls are getting worst not just with robo phone calls.
Thanks, I haven't seen anything like this before, mainly because it was totally removed from the main screen, and didn't identify itself as being from Dropbox, just the Arkose Labs logo in fine print on the bottom, all in a separate dialog window.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Guy View Post
Thanks, I haven't seen anything like this before, mainly because it was totally removed from the main screen, and didn't identify itself as being from Dropbox, just the Arkose Labs logo in fine print on the bottom, all in a separate dialog window.
I think that the captcha is becoming more intrusive. Maybe to counter people who claims a speed slowdown on their computer's network or isp? Or perhaps this is to claim that we don't need hi speed access because access slowed down.

I did a search on the AVSForum & as I did not login, I had to go thru the captcha before the search would run! If I had logged in, the captcha does not appear.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote