Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Kobo Libra H2O announced: a 7" Forma at $170

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...-reader-e-book

7" 300 DPI Mobius screen, one-hand design, waterproof, adjustable warm light, 8GB, 6.7oz (for comparison, 7" oasis is 6.8oz)

Doesn't look as sleek as oasis, the screen looks quite recessed, but it's like $100 less than the ad free oasis, and the Mobius screen doesn't crack, so it's an intriguing offering. Now that Kindles aren't jail breakable anymore, Kobo is becoming more appealing to me personally.

CORRECTION: sorry, it does NOT have a Mobius screen. I'm confused.

Last edited by Barty; 09-04-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...-reader-e-book

7" 300 DPI Mobius screen, one-hand design, waterproof, adjustable warm light, 8GB, 6.7oz (for comparison, 7" oasis is 6.8oz)

Doesn't look as sleek as oasis, the screen looks quite recessed, but it's like $100 less than the ad free oasis, and the Mobius screen doesn't crack, so it's an intriguing offering. Now that Kindles aren't jail breakable anymore, Kobo is becoming more appealing to me personally.
Where are you seeing that it has a Mobius screen?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...s-for-readers/

specifically states that it does not have Mobius.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ oh yeah, sorry, totally read that wrong. I'll edit my original post
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
This also has several other threads going with this news already in them.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:14 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
CORRECTION: sorry, it does NOT have a Mobius screen. I'm confused.
You may have read this early announcement...

https://the-digital-reader.com/2019/...-oasis-killer/

From the article...

Quote:
The Kobo Libra H2O (I got the name right, yes) is a smaller version of the Kobo Forma ereader that shipped last October. Sporting a 7" Mobius Carta E-ink screen, the Libra H2O has essentially the same hardware as the Kobo Forma.
(Emphasis mine.)

I think there is a newer article on Digital Reader about the Libra, but I'm guessing this is probably one of the earliest articles.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-05-2019 at 01:16 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I put Mobius because I heard second hand from Kobo customer service that it has a plastic substrate.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and now Kobo PR won't actually say what the substrate is
Old 09-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
what countries hare getting it ? ( I asked Google shopping in UK for options and it found nothing )
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
it's not Mobius
Old 09-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I put Mobius because I heard second hand from Kobo customer service that it has a plastic substrate.
I understand that. I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just trying to keep Barty from beating himself up over originally saying the Libra used a Mobius screen.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I guess this new Libra kind of answers a few questions about the success of the Forma. Now both Kobo's high end and medium range readers are "Oasis-like." Apparently people like page-turning buttons. I'm guessing this won't translate into an Oasis styled Clara, but who knows. A six inch Forma might be nice (I don't know for sure, because I've never tried one of these types of readers). I wonder if this will affect the Tolino line-up? Will the next Epos be a Forma clone and the next Vision a Libra clone? They've already "Kobo'd" the Shine. Will this spur Amazon into creating a new "mid-range" eReader, an Oasis Junior to (sort-of) replace the Voyage? Will Pocketbook look into an Oasis-style reader? (Probably not, since they already have page turn buttons on most (many? all?) of their readers.) I'm guessing there won't be any changes with the Nooks. Also interesting is that Kobo is making a white reader again. I think it's been a while (were the Mini and Touch were the last ones?).

Last edited by rcentros; 09-05-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I see Chapters/Indigo is already accepting pre-orders. Still nothing about the Libra on Walmart's site. (Not particularly surprising.) And Walmart Canada is also taking pre-orders.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-05-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It's not a Mobius plastic substrate.

Edit: Once again read to the end of the thread before posting.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:07 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Edit: Once again read to the end of the thread before posting.
I'm guilty of that too
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Anyone here pre-order other Kobos from Chapters Indigo CA shipped to US? This is CA $199 + $22 which is apparently just US $167.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote