Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > IMP Books

Notices

Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Ruskin, John: Sesame and Lilies, IMP, v1, 29 Sept 2007.

John Ruskin: Sesame and Lilies
Two lectures, given at Manchester in 1864.

Lecture 1: Sesame (‘On Kings’ Treasuries’)
How and what to read. Given that life is fleeting and leisure hours are few, we should not waste time reading trash. Instead we should read good books. These are the Kings’ Treasuries of the subtitle.

Lecture 2: Lilies (‘Of Queens’ Gardens’)
On the education of girls.
Here’s an extract:
‘ … speaking broadly, a man ought to know any language or science he learns, thoroughly—while a woman ought to know the same language, or science, only so far as may enable her to sympathise in her husband’s pleasures, and in those of his best friends.’
A woman’s duty is to be ‘the centre of order, the balm of distress, and the mirror of beauty’ – in this area she is Queen.
(I shall refrain from comment.)

The text also includes a Preface to the later editions of Sesame and Lilies, plus a third lecture on The Mystery of Life and Its Arts.

21 December 2007.
It turned out that I had made a bookimage file of 2.4 mb. This is readable but too big. It had 29 views. I'm replacing it with a slimmer version. The contents are identical.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: imp Sesame and Lilies.imp (198.2 KB, 941 views)

Last edited by Patricia; 12-21-2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: New version uploaded
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The size of the IMPs is amazing. While this one is over 2 MB, the Sony LRF is 236 KB and the Mobi PRC is just 209 KB.

I have noticed the same pattern (although not as extreme as this) in the fairy stories I have been posting. At no time was the IMP less than twice the size of the LRF or PRC files for the same book.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, this has been puzzling me. I wonder why my IMP uploads are so huge. There are 30 hyperlinked footnotes plus a brief TOC and one small picture.
Do you suppose that it is the footnotes?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not looked at the internals of the file nor do I know the structure; however, it seems almost as if they are embedding the fonts in the file.

There were no linked footnotes in the fairy stories. I used the default BD TOC. The only graphics were the cover and the MobileRead logo. Maybe someone else can explain it to us.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you read the following thread, you'll understand more about your IMP files and what to do...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14280
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you read the following thread, you'll understand more about your IMP files and what to do...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14280
Thanks Jon.
The message seems to be 'Do not turn on multi-language support'.

I'm feeling a bit confused, though. I can't find a multi-language support button to turn on or off.
Presumably, it would also be preferable to turn off the hyphenation?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Thanks Jon.
The message seems to be 'Do not turn on multi-language support'.

I'm feeling a bit confused, though. I can't find a multi-language support button to turn on or off.
Presumably, it would also be preferable to turn off the hyphenation?
Everytime I select IMP as a file format I get a message that all of the fonts are not support and do I want to use Multi-language support. Don't you get this message? I am not sure how to force it to stop the message but maybe you figured out a way.

hyphenation is personal choice. The BD application is using some sort of algorithm instead of a dictionary and often does a poor job IMHO but results can vary depending on the book I suppose. Using fully justified text may cause it to pick some poorer splits but I have not verified this.

Does this help?
Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader

No, I don't get that message about multi-language support at all. How odd.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you get the requester to make IMP books that's the one with all the options including which font, you have the requester for making images out of the pages. if you get the one that has only 3 check boxes, then you have the one that will make IMP with text and smaller sized files.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Try looking in settings (F9). Down near the bottom on the right side is a check box for multilanguage support. If it is checked please uncheck it and see how the program behaves.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer

Thankfully, multi-language has always been off on my version of BD.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It's always been on for me. So now I know if I'm asked about it making IMP, I click NO.