Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Can't escape Audible!

I tried; I really did, but Audible just won't let me go.

I decided to cancel my Silver (one credit every other month) membership, as even with that plan, credits have been piling up. Also, I have been holding on to two three-month/three-credit Audible gift cards for more than a year, so I figured I'd leave and then use one of the cards to pick up Audible again after a few months.

So I used up my accumulated credits and proceeded to the cancellation process, but Audible had other ideas--during the cancellation process, they offered me three months of Premium Plus for $7.95/month (which gives me access to the Plus catalog, which I didn't have with my old plan). I hesitated and hesitated before I clicked the accept button, but how could I pass up half-price? I couldn't.

They've got me locked up for another three months.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Hah! “Just when I thought I was out....”

I’m out of Audible right now, and glad of it. Too many owned unheard books and the cold reality is that I seem to listen to OverDrive and Hoopla as much as Audible. (Hmm, in fact, right now I’m listening to one book apiece on Audible, Hoopla and OverDrive. That’s unusual; I usually just have two going.)

As for the Plus catalog, virtually all the books that interest me are available on-demand from Hoopla. So it would be a hefty premium to pay just for an admittedly better app; Hoopla’s good enough. But for someone who prefers an MP3 player, Hoopla’s obviously a non-starter, and that’s if your library has it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hah! “Just when I thought I was out....”

I’m out of Audible right now, and glad of it. Too many owned unheard books and the cold reality is that I seem to listen to OverDrive and Hoopla as much as Audible. (Hmm, in fact, right now I’m listening to one book apiece on Audible, Hoopla and OverDrive. That’s unusual; I usually just have two going.)

As for the Plus catalog, virtually all the books that interest me are available on-demand from Hoopla. So it would be a hefty premium to pay just for an admittedly better app; Hoopla’s good enough. But for someone who prefers an MP3 player, Hoopla’s obviously a non-starter, and that’s if your library has it.
No Hoopla for me; that was the only thing I liked about FLP. I notice that with my membership change, my Audible wish list now indicates whether a book is in the Plus catalog, which is nice--I have three that are, none of them high priority, but I'll be happy to listen for free.

Audible has books that my libraries don't have. That's the only real value for me--the daily deals and the sales are usually useless.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I tried; I really did, but Audible just won't let me go.

I decided to cancel my Silver (one credit every other month) membership, as even with that plan, credits have been piling up. Also, I have been holding on to two three-month/three-credit Audible gift cards for more than a year, so I figured I'd leave and then use one of the cards to pick up Audible again after a few months.

So I used up my accumulated credits and proceeded to the cancellation process, but Audible had other ideas--during the cancellation process, they offered me three months of Premium Plus for $7.95/month (which gives me access to the Plus catalog, which I didn't have with my old plan). I hesitated and hesitated before I clicked the accept button, but how could I pass up half-price? I couldn't.

They've got me locked up for another three months.
What do you mean about access to the plus catalogue? As far as I can tell, I have access to the plus catalogue with my old grandfathered $10 a year membership.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
What do you mean about access to the plus catalogue? As far as I can tell, I have access to the plus catalogue with my old grandfathered $10 a year membership.
What do you mean, what do I mean?

As a Silver member, I got one credit every two months; I could not borrow from the Plus catalog. And though I was eligible for sales and 2-for-1 deals, I was not eligible for the promos that offered coupons (e.g., use 3 credits, get $5). Whereas originally the only difference between the Gold and Silver was that Silver was bimonthly, when Gold morphed into Premium Plus, Silver was downgraded.
Advert
Old 03-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
What do you mean, what do I mean?

As a Silver member, I got one credit every two months; I could not borrow from the Plus catalog. And though I was eligible for sales and 2-for-1 deals, I was not eligible for the promos that offered coupons (e.g., use 3 credits, get $5). Whereas originally the only difference between the Gold and Silver was that Silver was bimonthly, when Gold morphed into Premium Plus, Silver was downgraded.
Ah, borrow. Ok, that makes sense. I thought you meant you couldn't use credits or buy from the Plus catalog. I'm not big on borrowing books, my inter brat tends to come out (mine! mine!).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Ah, borrow. Ok, that makes sense. I thought you meant you couldn't use credits or buy from the Plus catalog. I'm not big on borrowing books, my inter brat tends to come out (mine! mine!).
I don't know if Audible actually calls it borrowing, but that's what it is, as you don't own the books; you just get to listen to them free using the Audible app.

I've grown to be OK with borrowing; what I hate is having to use the Audible app on my phone or tablet instead of my handy-dandy little mp3 player.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
No Hoopla for me; that was the only thing I liked about FLP. I notice that with my membership change, my Audible wish list now indicates whether a book is in the Plus catalog, which is nice--I have three that are, none of them high priority, but I'll be happy to listen for free.

Audible has books that my libraries don't have. That's the only real value for me--the daily deals and the sales are usually useless.
My libraries don't have Hoopla for audiobooks. They do have extensive audiobook holdings; however, I find Audible worthwhile (necessary) for books that are either Audible exclusive availability (as per their banners) or ones that will never appear at libraries (mostly British imports).

Agreed on the deals and sales, as they seem to have abandoned giving site-wide discounts.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
My libraries don't have Hoopla for audiobooks. They do have extensive audiobook holdings; however, I find Audible worthwhile (necessary) for books that are either Audible exclusive availability (as per their banners) or ones that will never appear at libraries (mostly British imports).

Agreed on the deals and sales, as they seem to have abandoned giving site-wide discounts.
My three libraries are now pretty much Overdrive only for audiobooks--one of them still has Axios360 and RB Digital audiobooks, but hasn't been adding to those collections.

Like you, I use Audible mostly for the British titles that aren't in the Overdrive catalog. (Before Audible roped me in for three more months, I had been considering joining Audible UK for a while.)
Old 03-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Hey, I know how that is. I canceled a year ago April and they offered me $99 deal for 12 credits. I couldn't help myself. However, this ends in less than a month, so I will be canceling for sure this time, despite any offers, so that I can catch up on unlistened backlog. I'll rejoin in the Fall when they have another $99 offer for 12 credits. By then, Jodi Taylor will have another Chronicles of St Mary's out.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote