Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
vinvin33
vinvin33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura One too bright at minimum setting

Hi,
I just received my Kobo Aura One (switching from a Kindle Voyage that I have kept, in case I wouldn't like the Kobo...).
I find it great except from one "issue" : 99% of the time, I read in bed and in complete dark.
So I always use backlight and even at its minimum setting (1%), it is too bright for me.
It is brighter than the 4th level of brightness I was using on the kindle...
I saw the "Night mode" hack but I don't want that.
Is there a way to go less than 1 % ?
I found the "FrontLightLevel=1" setting in the "Kobo eReader.conf" file : can I go lower than 1, like 0.5 or 0,5 ? (I don't want to brick the reader...)
Thanks in advance for your help.
Vincent
vinvin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Oh interesting! I have sensitive eyes and have always found my Glo too bright to read in full darkness, even at the lowest setting. Previously the GUI would not go down as low as 1%, which is why the FrontLightLevel was used in the config file to get it down to 1% brightness. With current software this is no longer necessary as the GUI now provides the full range of 1-100%... but I have never wondered whether there was anything less than 1% (I just assumed it wouldn't understand any decimals). So I am curious to find out if it would work, and if it does work, whether there is a visible difference.

Trying fractions in the config file won't brick your device! If it doesn't understand the setting it just won't give you the setting.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
vinvin33

Well, I have just tried with a . and a ,
None of them works...
Old 06-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Inverse-video night-mode is your friend:

See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=212162

And this version of the patch I believe is the one you need:
https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...ster/installer
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
vinvin33

Thanks but like I said in my first post, I tried and don't liked it.
Advert
Old 06-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin33 View Post
Well, I have just tried with a . and a ,
None of them works...
I'm not at all surprised. The code that reads the configuration file is reading an integer; not a floating point number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
vinvin33

So there is no way to go below 1 % ?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #8
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin33 View Post
So there is no way to go below 1 % ?
If you can't make it through the software maybe you could do it by using additional hardware i.e. some screen protector (plastic or tempered glass, anti-glare or not) and/or tinted computer glasses.

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-10-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Question: Do Kindle front-lights go lower than Kobo front-lights in general?

P.s. Have you tried night-mode with orange comfort light?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:18 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Kobo Aura One too bright at minimum setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Question: Do Kindle front-lights go lower than Kobo front-lights in general?
The brightness on my husband's PW original goes a lot lower than my Glo, but is about the same as my Clara HD (which is many years younger) with complete blue light. (With complete red light the Clara HD gives less lumen than the PW.)

I don't know about the other Kindles and Kobo's.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:48 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
The brightness on my husband's PW original goes a lot lower than my Glo, but is about the same as my Clara HD (which is many years younger) with complete blue light. (With complete red light the Clara HD gives less lumen than the PW.)

I don't know about the other Kindles and Kobo's.
The Aura H2Os (both editions) go much, much lower than the Glo, which is very bright on the minimum setting. I can have the H2O right in my face in pitch darkness without it feeling too bright.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
k, thanks.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
P.s. Have you tried night-mode with orange comfort light?
This is what I do. Changing the colour temperature of the screen seems to change either the real or apparent amount of light. Also note that the lower the brightness level, the less linear the relationship is between the slider and what colour actually shows on screen, so you might have to go back and forth a bit to find what works for you.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #14
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hmm, has there been _anyone_ asking for more light, ever? Maybe they focus on high lighting to show off during review testings...
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote