Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #46
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hello!

Interesting project! Sadly, it does not work on my H2O.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong here with the installation?
I have some pictures in /mnt/onboard/kbmenupngs, since I tried KSM, but later uninstalled (disabled) it. I also had fmon and Launcher up and working, but to try kfmon, I reverted to the original on_animator.sh to disable fmon.

I also created a few ini files for kfmon.

for example:

I have a simulate_usb_connection.png in /mnt/onboard/kbmenupngs
And this is /mnt/onboard/.adds/kfmon/config/simulate_usb_connection.ini :
Code:
; This is a working example of a full config file to setup a new watch.
; You can only define a *single* watch per ini file, and the section name *needs* to be "watch".
[watch]
; Those next two keys are MANDATORY
filename = /mnt/onboard/kbmenupngs/simulate_usb_connection.png			; Absolute path of the icon to watch for
action = /mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft/simulate_usb_connection.sh	; Absolute path of the command to launch when the icon is opened
; The following keys are NOT mandatory
do_db_update = 0				; Do we want to update Nickel's DB for this icon? (Potentially unsafe, disabled by default)
; If you enabled do_db_update, the next three keys NEED to be set
db_title = Szimulált USB csatlakozás				; Title to use for the icon's Library entry if do_db_update = 1
db_author = mobileread			; Author to use for the icon's Library entry if do_db_update = 1
db_comment = WiFi-n másolt könyvek felismeréséhez		; Comment to use for the icon's Library entry if do_db_update = 1

; This is not part of the actual KFMon config, it's just a sentinel value used by the KOReader startup script.
; By default, we reboot the device when exiting KOReader to avoid potential weirdness.
; If for some reason (i.e., avoid the delay a reboot incurs) you want to try to simply restart Nickel instead, set this to false.
; No matter what you do, DO NOT UNCOMMENT THIS KV PAIR!
;reboot_on_exit=true

I did a (few) reboot(s), but nothing happens on opening the simulate_usb_connection.png, as well as on the other png files. I verified that the kfmon binary is in place and the udev hook is also where it should be.

So what could be wrong? I'm running on firmware 3.19.5761

Thank You for any help!
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:08 AM   #47
xpirad
xpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the endxpirad knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: kobo aura one
This is awesome! Thank you so much,man.
xpirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #48
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kido.resuri: Wheee, a year late, but, hey, here goes:

Check the log file (/usr/local/kfmon/kfmon.log), my guess is something simple is preventing the inotify watches from being setup. That, or you're hitting a busy database and my crappy timing workarounds don't fit your setup.
Both of those issues should be detailed in the logs, though .

Also, I just pushed updated binaries that include the roughly year-old fix (oops.) for not being basically completely useless if the device ever had the misfortune of being mounted on an OS X box.
And also some possibly broken changes for the whole KOReader/Nickel thingy.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #49
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally released 0.9.5, which fixes (among other things), a long-standing issue when KOReader (or Plato, now) were exiting and trying to restart Nickel. (c.f. #2).

Note to KOReader users: wait until PR #3876 makes it in.
EDIT: Landed in KOReader >= 2015.11-1662 .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-16-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 PM   #50
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And release 0.9.6, which features a few bugfixes (among which a memory leak), as well as a number of quality of life enhancements (improved logging, stupid bugs fixed, and an even more fool-proof protection against spurious events when KOReader or Plato is running*).

EDIT:
*: In the current version, instead of being hardcoded to KOReader & Plato, this is now configurable in a watch config. And of course it's enabled for the KOReader & Plato configs in the repo .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-17-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Advert
Old 05-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #51
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And released v1.0.0, because, what the hell, let's tag a stable release!
Old 05-31-2018, 01:40 AM   #52
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And released v1.0.0, because, what the hell, let's tag a stable release!
It works for me.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:09 AM   #53
Memiks
Memiks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Thanks for you're usefull tool.

I am now able to activate / deactivate nightmode from a JPG on my Kobo Aura Edition 2.

Have a nice day !
Memiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #54
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Sorry, I have a question. I understand KFMon replaces all of KSM. The Github instructions include use of ssh. How is ssh installed and activated (via usbnet as alternative usb regular) to if the kobo does not include ksm and brothers?
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #55
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hfpop: I wouldn't go so far as to say that it replaces *all* of KSM .

Granted, if you only use KSM to launch KOReader/Plato, then, nnnnnyeeaah, you *could* say it replaces KSM for all *your* use-cases, but, still, this is *just* a launcher sitting on the back of Nickel, there's absolutely no GUI at all .

As for SSH, since this is just a launcher, it doesn't actually care which solution you end up going with to provide you with an actual SSHD/Telnetd (be it Nickel's own debug mode, the good old telnetd packages that went around in the early days and still do the job, the relevant bit inside Sergey's launcher stuff, or my own bag of tricks).

As for USBNet, I honestly can't remember which of these actually have a decent user-facing way of doing the switch. I know mine does, but I'm using it much less that I do on Kindles: except for extended debugging sessions, SSH over WiFi does the job just as well .
So much so that I never bothered actually shipping a KFMon icon/config to toggle it, but it's certainly doable.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #56
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Thank you for the info. The ftp server from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...53&postcount=3 allows to view hidden files with ftp over usb, but not over wifi. The relevant settings from my client are ignored by server. Is there a particular setting I should be careful about?
Old 06-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #57
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hfpop: No idea, I've *never* used FTP to communicate with an eInk device, always scp/sftp.

I do build busybox w/ ftpd support, but I'm not quite sure I've ever actually tried it besides just making sure it accepted incoming connections .

EDIT: Turns out I do have ftpd enabled on my end, and it still works, yay!

And I'm not seeing anything weird with hidden folders?

Code:
drwxr-xr-x  157      8192 Apr 21 23:11 .kobo-images
drwxr-xr-x    2      4096 Apr 30  2016 .adobe-digital-editions
drwxr-xr-x    8      4096 Jun  3 20:16 .kobo
lftp kobo:/mnt/onboard> ls -l .kobo
drwxr-xr-x    3      4096 Jun  3 20:16 upgrade
-rwxr-xr-x    1       308 Jun  3 20:16 manifest.md5sum
-rwxr-xr-x    1  81926607 Jun  3 20:16 KoboRoot.tgz
-rwxr-xr-x    1     32768 May 31 02:39 BookReader.sqlite-shm
-rwxr-xr-x    1     12608 Jun  3 20:14 BookReader.sqlite-wal
-rwxr-xr-x    1     55296 May 31 01:24 BookReader.sqlite
-rwxr-xr-x    1     32768 Jun  3 20:16 KoboReader.sqlite-shm
-rwxr-xr-x    1     61864 Jun  3 20:16 KoboReader.sqlite-wal
drwxr-xr-x    2      4096 May  1  2016 certificates
drwxr-xr-x    2      4096 Jul 22  2017 guide
-rwxr-xr-x    1        87 May 31 01:33 version
drwxr-xr-x    2      4096 Mar 22  2017 Kobo
-rwxr-xr-x    1        76 Apr 30  2016 device.salt.conf
drwxr-xr-x    2      4096 Apr  2 13:42 dict
drwxr-xr-x    2      8192 May  1 23:47 kepub
-rwxr-xr-x    1  66123776 May 31 01:32 KoboReader.sqlite
-rwxr-xr-x    1        25 Jun  3 20:14 affiliate.conf
lftp kobo:/mnt/onboard>
(Yes, in the time it took me to actually install an ftp client, I got synced the latest FW update , so yeah, that was over WiFI).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-03-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #58
hfpop
Addict

Strange. I tried a few different clients. I am on Windows 10, but that should not matter. Still hidden files are not visible. KA1-LE, but I do not see how this is relevant.

Let me try another path. I would remove the Telnet package by KevinShort here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...53&postcount=3 and try a different setting.

As a general question, how do I uninstall a KoboRoot.tgz package that was installed previously? I noticed that there are files to be placed inside the kobo file structure. That means each KoboRoot pack should have a reverse KoboRoot pack. Without this am I to play on my own inside the kobo file system? I prefer not to do this. Thank you for the pointers.

Last edited by hfpop; 06-03-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #59
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, uninstalling stuff is when it gets tricky... Since we can't delete file with a simple tarball, and there's no script support in the install process, you're kinda left to fend for yourself...

If you still have a means of launching shell commands, you basically undo it by hand, but when it's the very thing you want to remove, well...

Some stuff cannot clash by design because the very same files get modified, so you basically get lucky, but that's not always the case... And I'd have to check if that's the case here between Kevin's and my way of handling inetd...
Old 06-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, specifically in the case of that Telnet package:

* Patches:

/etc/inittab

* Adds:

/etc/inetd.conf.user
/etc/init.d/rcS2

So, ideally, you'd need to remove the two added files and restore a vanilla inittab. Where it gets fun is that Kobo update packages do *not* contain the full rootfs, so you can't pull it out of a FW update.
That leaves the factory reset FW copy, but I've never played with accessing it.

EDIT: Possibly in /dev/mmcblk0p2 (according to @frostschutz's stuff, which I shamefully forgot when listing stuff that could get you telnet before). Mount it ro to avoid screwing whith it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-03-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Tags
fmon, kfmon, kobo, launcher