Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
Falsedave
Falsedave began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-ink display with Android.

I know these questions gets asked all the time but I cant find a solution to what I'm after.

I'm reading a lot of text books and tech articles and currently have a Nexus 7 for reading them which is great but the screen gives me really bad eye strain.

I was thinking of get an e-reader hopefully with an e-ink display. I've used a kindle before and I seem to remember it was much better. I would also love it to run android primarly so I could use Ivonia voices so I can have articles read to me in the car, but also so I could use other apps and bits and pieces. Bluetooth would be amazing then I could connect to car but not necessary. I'm not scared of hacking it to do so.

I liked the look of KOBO aura and KOBO glo but no sound. I looked at ONYX book c65 but people said it was unreliable. I just cant find anything that fits the bill.

Really I would like it to have.
  • E-ink display
  • Android OS
  • Audio
  • Bluetooth (Not Necessary but would be amazing)

Any ideas ?
Falsedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
I don't think there is a device which combines e-ink and Android OS but I might be interested if there is. I have used a couple of ereader apps on Android tablets (Moonreader was one of them) and they allowed me to colour the screen and darken it a bit: I preferred a parchment colour for less eye strain. For me one of the disadvantages of Android devices is that they tend to be heavier than ereaders and this is noticeable if you read for a long period of time. On the other hand their size makes it easier to read PDFs.

Last edited by Bertolt; 03-25-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falsedave View Post
I know these questions gets asked all the time but I cant find a solution to what I'm after.

I'm reading a lot of text books and tech articles and currently have a Nexus 7 for reading them which is great but the screen gives me really bad eye strain.

I was thinking of get an e-reader hopefully with an e-ink display. I've used a kindle before and I seem to remember it was much better. I would also love it to run android primarly so I could use Ivonia voices so I can have articles read to me in the car, but also so I could use other apps and bits and pieces. Bluetooth would be amazing then I could connect to car but not necessary. I'm not scared of hacking it to do so.

I liked the look of KOBO aura and KOBO glo but no sound. I looked at ONYX book c65 but people said it was unreliable. I just cant find anything that fits the bill.

Really I would like it to have.
  • E-ink display
  • Android OS
  • Audio
  • Bluetooth (Not Necessary but would be amazing)

Any ideas ?
With sound? No. The Sony T1 has sound and can be rooted, but the available memory make it a poor E-ink tablet.

I am not aware of any e-ink device with blue-tooth. You could check out Earl.

If you forget blue-tooth and sound, the Nook ST is the best Android OS e-reader option that I know off. Onyx might be better, but I've never handled one. Hard to get in the Kindle dominated N.America.

Last edited by Rizla; 03-25-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Falsedave

Yes I find moon+ reader one of the best. When set up with ivonia for TTS its amazing. But trying to read for a long time just really makes my eyes hurt.

Wow Earl looks amazing. It looks like it would be perfect but also looks like its not available at the moment.

Last edited by Falsedave; 03-25-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Nooks all run Android (an old version). Apparently, you can install Android on the Kobo Glo as well, see this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225940

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-26-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Falsedave

I've just been looking at E-readers again !! And was thinking does anyone have any experience with an anti-glare screen protector on the nexus 7? seems it does everything I want an E-reader for I just need to reduce my eyestrain. Not to mention this option would save me money.

I looked at NOOK's but they dont seem to have much space to put books and PDF's that arnt from NOOk store. Also KOBO glow doesnt have Audio. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Older Nook models I believe did not separate sideloaded from B&N storage.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Sony T-1, T-2, and T-3 are all Android devices using E Ink. BOOX E43 is an E Ink device that runs Android OS. All of the Nooks run Android. The Onyx BOOX C65 a 6" E Ink screen with Android OS and a front light.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I have had a similar problem for a long time. My tablets (& my phones) all caused me enough problems that I couldn't sleep at night. So I had multiple readers, two of them eink and one (or more) tablet(s). Since I bought the Nook HD+ I can read right up to bedtime with no problem. Now the Nook is the only reader I use. Check it out. YMMV.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Instead of antiglare screen protector I installed free blue light filter for reading in complete darkness, mostly to avoid sleeping problems. Now I drop dead much earlier than before. There are many filters in playstore available, maybe will be good for you to ease eyestrain? The screen has an overall brownish cast regardless what you use.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote